Author Topic: New K75RT Owner in Virginia  (Read 5578 times)

Offline mavam

• Motobrick Curious
New K75RT Owner in Virginia
« on: November 03, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »
Greetings! I've already lurked a bit around here to gain some helpful knowledge about the bike before I bought it. It came from an old friend who took excellent care of it. I got a nice ~70 mile ride home on it today. First BMW and I am impressed by it feeling like such a modern machine while being nearly 30 years old. Heck of an accomplishment, BMW. There are one or two things that came with the bike that I'm not too interested in keeping (seat and tank bag) so I may see if there's a place here to sell those.

Anyway, glad to find a robust community surrounding these slick bikes. Pictures 1 and 2 are the bike I now own and the third is the charm, as it's one of the first motorcycles I sat on (my uncle's K75S, I think) that I perched upon years ago and a sister model to the one I now own!

Previous rides:
Ducati Multistrada 1000 (sold last fall)
KLR 650
Honda CX500
Kawasaki KZ305
  • Virginia
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New K75RT Owner in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
Welcome!  That is a truly nice looking RT.  If you are planning on putting a lot of miles behind you, you will be hard put to find a better machine to do it with.  Congratulations!

Unless you're going to do a cafe or scrambler(gasp) conversion, you might want to consider keeping the seat and tank bag.  They're really good for long rides.  That tan seat is stunning and will stay cooler on hot, sunny days than a traditional black one.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline mavam

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »
Welcome!  That is a truly nice looking RT.  If you are planning on putting a lot of miles behind you, you will be hard put to find a better machine to do it with.  Congratulations!

Unless you're going to do a cafe or scrambler(gasp) conversion, you might want to consider keeping the seat and tank bag.  They're really good for long rides.  That tan seat is stunning and will stay cooler on hot, sunny days than a traditional black one.

It's in fantastic shape and I'll be leaving it as-is --no conversions. Plenty of better bikes to do that with, IMO. I've got three young kids, a life that's full of work, and I'm working on a Ph.D., so I guess you could say I don't have much time. After selling my Ducati and after owning a bike of some sort for ten years (7 of which the bike was my primary/only transportation), there was a hole in my world and the K75 is intended to fill that. It will get the miles but the long hauls won't be too frequent at this stage of my life.

The seat that's on it is the one I'm keeping. It came with a black Corbin (not pictured), which the PO didn't like, and neither will I. So the Corbin is for sale. I've just never liked tank bags. With the fairing storage and the tail storage and the under-seat storage this has and all the pockets I have on my jacket and the tragkorbs and top trunk, I'm set. Someone else who wants a "vintage" Multivario tank bag with some wear and tear on it, is welcome to message me.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
  • Virginia
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
Darn!  I was secretly hoping you wouldn't take my suggestion and put that lovely tan Comfort seat up for sale so I could snag it for Ilsa.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »
Welcome!
That is a sharp looking moto! K75 a smooth roller. Good luck with moto
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline E30_Crazy

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:29:03 PM »
My Corbin has some tearing at the forward seam. I'd be interested, especially since you're also in VA.
  • Newport News, Virginia
  • '85 K100, '93 K1100RS
God created Crew Chiefs so Fighter Pilots could have heroes, too.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 09:36:46 PM »
the third is the charm, as it's one of the first motorcycles I sat on (my uncle's K75S, I think) that I perched upon years ago and a sister model to the one I now own!
Your uncle's was a K75C. That's a great photo to have preserved!

* K75C fairing.png (69.87 kB . 565x551 - viewed 539 times)
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline mavam

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 10:22:16 AM »
My Corbin has some tearing at the forward seam. I'd be interested, especially since you're also in VA.

Feel free to message me. I have photos I can send.

Darn!  I was secretly hoping you wouldn't take my suggestion and put that lovely tan Comfort seat up for sale so I could snag it for Ilsa.

Nope, I had a Corbin once and it didn't fit me. You could call it a nutcracker. After a nice 70 mile cruise home on the comfort seat, I'm plenty happy with it.

Your uncle's was a K75C. That's a great photo to have preserved!

* K75C fairing.png (69.87 kB . 565x551 - viewed 539 times)

You're right, that was a C model. Typed the wrong thing.
  • Virginia
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 03:23:44 PM »
Welcome!
Where in Virginia?  There are a few of us here from the Old Dominion.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline BrickDad

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 04:11:44 PM »
It's in fantastic shape and I'll be leaving it as-is --no conversions. Plenty of better bikes to do that with, IMO. I've got three young kids, a life that's full of work, and I'm working on a Ph.D., so I guess you could say I don't have much time. After selling my Ducati and after owning a bike of some sort for ten years (7 of which the bike was my primary/only transportation), there was a hole in my world and the K75 is intended to fill that. It will get the miles but the long hauls won't be too frequent at this stage of my life.

The seat that's on it is the one I'm keeping. It came with a black Corbin (not pictured), which the PO didn't like, and neither will I. So the Corbin is for sale. I've just never liked tank bags. With the fairing storage and the tail storage and the under-seat storage this has and all the pockets I have on my jacket and the tragkorbs and top trunk, I'm set. Someone else who wants a "vintage" Multivario tank bag with some wear and tear on it, is welcome to message me.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hey!

Wecome!  I'm in northern Virginia myself with a K75.

How about that tank bag?  I'll PM you.
  • Arlington County, Virginia
  • 1995 K75T + Paralever, 1991 K100RS 4-valver + 1990 Flexit sidecar

Offline mavam

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 09:25:28 AM »
I think I replied to all the PMs -- thanks for the interest.

I'm near Lynchburg, right next to the BRP.
  • Virginia
  • 1990 K75RT

Offline natalena

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 06:40:42 AM »
I'm near Lynchburg, right next to the BRP.
Welcome aboard, and congrats on your RT.

Hmmm, perhaps the next Mid-Atlantic "get together" might meet up in Waynesboro or Afton where the BRP and Skyline drive meet?
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Rcgreaves

• "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 10:11:59 PM »
Lovely brick.  Congrats!
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Tags: