Author Topic: BEP 3.0 install issues  (Read 3530 times)

Offline TheBrickman

• Curious
BEP 3.0 install issues
« on: October 24, 2019, 01:23:34 AM »
Just got the BEP 3.0 and an ebay speedo to hook up to a 1991 k75 with a 1987 wiring harness. The speedo calls for a constant power, and a switch power, and obviously the ground. Without the key in the ignition, I can plug my speedo wires into where they need to go and it stays on. This will cause issues down the road and drain my battery. Am I installing the BEP wrong? Seems pretty straight forward. Could I have a wiring issue? This is my first K - bike / motorcycle project, so I'm still learning a lot about the bike as I go. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
  • Garage
  • BMW K75RT

Offline koapono

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: BEP 3.0 install issues
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 05:39:03 AM »
I'll leave it to the "electrically gifted" to better explain but yes, your battery will discharge if there is a constant load applied. Question is: how large is the load or current draw? Your clock is always on but the load is minimal and the battery doesn't mind, it will take a very long while for your battery to discharge from this load. If you leave your lights on, your battery discharges rather quickly.
So, you will be asked what is the wattage or current draw of the circuit that is always on. That information should be somewhere with the paperwork provided with your BEP 3.0
Electricity: it ain't magic just confusing!
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:06:46 AM »
Just got the BEP 3.0 and an ebay speedo to hook up to a 1991 k75 with a 1987 wiring harness. The speedo calls for a constant power, and a switch power, and obviously the ground.
Identify the speedo for us, if you can. When it's on, what is lit? Does it look like this one? Posting a legible photo of the instructions might help, along with an explanation or clear photo of which wires were connected to which terminals of which devices.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline TheBrickman

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »
Hey so I gathered some of the info you guys asked for so here it is. It's a WonVon speedo, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07V2YC7HW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title, seems alright. So I've got wiring diagrams of both the speedo and the bep pictured for you. For the "battery", I have the black wire in the "BAT" position, for the ground I have the green wire in the "GND" position, and I have purple as my switch power in the "SWP" port. The picture of the speedo is when all 3 are plugged in and the key is NOT in the ignition. Voltage running between the ground and battery is about 11.4 volts, If that's what you're asking for.
  • Garage
  • BMW K75RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 01:51:27 PM »
That's a good start, Brickman. Thank you. Now post photos of each section of the instructions and wiring diagrams so they can be viewed clearly in their entirety without folds or missing elements. We're trying to get enough clear information about what you've got going on so members who have successfully mounted these gadgets can appraise your work.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline TheBrickman

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 02:06:56 PM »
Hope this helps, tried to get some better pics with lighting and unwrinkle the pages.
  • Garage
  • BMW K75RT
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline koapono

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »
just a thought because the obvious often escapes us:
is your switched wire truly switched? No voltage when key is off.
Where is the source of power for your purple wire and does it come on and go off as you activate switch?
g'luck
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline TheBrickman

• Curious
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 04:37:37 PM »
I believe my issues is in the wiring at the ignition/kill switch because I've been in the process of doing that as well. Since its directly linked to the battery, I must have it plugged in incorrectly so that the "BAT" constantly has power so I'm gonna look further into a diagram and experiment a bit
  • Garage
  • BMW K75RT

Offline TheBrickman

• Curious
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 05:40:52 PM »
Hey guys I think I got it figure out. Turns out all I had to do was switch the wires going from "BAT" and "SWP", so now the only thing that is "on" I guess you could say is the clock itself. I took a pic of the speedo with the key out of the ignition, and the clock on. Is it correct? I would assume so because if I dont have power to this wouldn't it lose its memory? Thanks for the ideas!
  • Garage
  • BMW K75RT

Offline TheBrickman

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 05:41:59 PM »

just a thought because the obvious often escapes us:
is your switched wire truly switched? No voltage when key is off.
Where is the source of power for your purple wire and does it come on and go off as you activate switch?
g'luck
[/quote]

Thanks Koapono, it was your little message that inspired the thought!
  • Garage
  • BMW K75RT

Offline koapono

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
always a pleasure to help out.
this forum is a priceless resource.
I imagine every K quirk and oddity has been addressed.
ride on!
  • 1994 K1100LT

Tags: