Author Topic: Tryborg (I callem by the French term!!)-lock tumbler spins  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Tryborg (I callem by the French term!!)-lock tumbler spins
« on: September 22, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »
So my lower tragkorb attach latch lock tumbler spins, and the tumbler mech. If not seated and key in the locked position the tumbler slides right our of the housing.

Ive studied articles but have yet to confirm if there is perhaps a set screw missing on the opposite side?
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Tryborg (I callem tragkorbs you German types)lock tumbler spins
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »
I've had this happen with two locks. There is no set screw. There are a couple of locksmiths on the forum and maybe they'll be able to explain this better than this fable I have just composed.

The wafer that prevents the lock cylinder from being pulled out of the latch housing seems to be held in position by a spring exerting force on the wafer until it is stopped from being ejected by a shoulder cut into the wafer that bears on a stop within the cylinder. You could look at an attached drawing if I had attached one but this is theoretical only. When the spring loses tension or the shoulder wears off, the wafer gets dislocated and can drop into the cylinder or fall out of the cylinder. That enables the cylinder to be pulled out.

I tried to rehabilitate one once but gave in and bought a six-pack of locks instead, one of which I used for replacement.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Rcgreaves

Re: Tryborg (I callem by the French term!!)-lock tumbler spins
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 02:14:01 PM »
Thanks as always Laitch king of Latches today—- 2hrs in my rain gear eastern to SW Wisco and I’ll take a closer look at the tumbler mechanism.  Cheers
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 02:59:25 PM »
greetings...

its the last tang on the core that locks that in there... when they spin and come out like that the last tang may have fallen out or the ting spring that pops it out maybe gunnked up...

i have been successful scoring a used core from michlers for nothing... removing the tang and spring and installing them in my core and all is well... i have also scored a used core and dermeled so my key fitts... always keep your old cores tangs springs...

its all right here...

* tang.png (27.15 kB . 768x458 - viewed 359 times)

* tanged.png (20.08 kB . 768x438 - viewed 404 times)

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 04:24:28 PM »
Thx! I’m out not riding w Johnny. Looking at that R12 S today

Tags: