Author Topic: K75RT Headlight Glass Clips  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Al

• ^ Motobrick Curious
K75RT Headlight Glass Clips
« on: September 21, 2019, 11:22:37 PM »
G'day.
I had my low beam go out on me and so I pulled the fairing to get at it. Not nearly as big a job as I thought. Just lots of screws and a couple of bolts.

Anyway I have been unable to adjust the headlight side to side so I took it upon myself to have at it whilst everything is part. In other words, I added another project to my 3 lifetime list.

I still don't know why the headlight wouldn't adjust. Nothing seemed stripped or whacked. So it is going back together. Seems to work now. Is there a plastic safe lube for the adjusting  screws and pivot?

Now for the biggie. I took the glass off the bucket to clean up the reflector and behind the glass. Now my question is--- how does one get those little steel clips back on that hold the glass to the bucket? They seem to need a frightful amount of stretching and I am faint of heart to do the needful. Is there a technique or tool that would ease the procedure?

One other question: The vertical adjustment screw has a spring over the adjusting screw but the horizontal one does not. Should the horizontal screw also have a spring?

• Manitoba
  • K75RT
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K75RT Headlight Glass Clips
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:34:40 PM »
Silicone grease is safe on plastic.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Al

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »
Thanks, Martin.
  • Manitoba
  • K75RT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »
Just hook the clip in the groove on the bucket and push down gingerly on the arch of the clip.  If you have the lens in the proper position the clip will snap right down.

Easy peasey.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Al

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »
Well, Mighty Gryph, I don't know if easy peasy is the right description.

What I did was squeezed the lens and bucket together whilst my son-in-law forced the clips over with his big meaty paws. But it did get done. Makes me wonder if I have too many seals? I have one round cross section one and one sort of square cross section. The round one looked like it had been super glued in at one point. It took fair bit of pressure to git 'er done.

But done it is.
  • Manitoba
  • K75RT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 09:46:30 AM »
Well, Mighty Gryph, I don't know if easy peasy is the right description.

What I did was squeezed the lens and bucket together whilst my son-in-law forced the clips over with his big meaty paws. But it did get done. Makes me wonder if I have too many seals? I have one round cross section one and one sort of square cross section. The round one looked like it had been super glued in at one point. It took fair bit of pressure to git 'er done.

But done it is.

There should only be one gasket between the bucket and the lens.  One of them is supposed to be between the glass and the opening in the fairing.  No wonder you had trouble getting the clips installed.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Tags: