Author Topic: Fiamm Horn High Note Low Note  (Read 2732 times)

Offline BrickDad

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Fiamm Horn High Note Low Note
« on: September 13, 2019, 08:38:48 AM »

:threadjacked

Had a chance to do some cleaning up as I wait for the last bits.

Decided to try a bronze color on the wheels, and think I am going to land on powder coated nardo grey. The lighter color does so much more for these wheels in my opinion.

Got my motogadget installed in my custom top clamp, adding a few warning LEDs to the headlight once my mounting brackets get in, hid my super loud new horn in the cowl.

I've ordered a Ducati ST4 starter choke control to add to the bars to replace the stock choke, hoping to install this weekend to give my thoughts on this upgrade since I've gone w a fully custom setup.

Need recos on Exhaust, I almost want a straight pipe w minimal muffling. Thoughts?

* 31A050DF-77E0-4325-813F-D1D3CCF334CF.JPG (70.58 kB . 768x576 - viewed 1792 times)

* IMG_0102.jpg (97.91 kB . 768x576 - viewed 1901 times)

* IMG_0111.jpg (48.04 kB . 432x576 - viewed 1868 times)

So close to getting her on the road!
Looking at your Fiamm horn (a good choice BTW)... they come in two flavors, a High note horn and a Low note horn.  They are distinguished by an H or an L embossed on their horn bodies.  IMHO, they are meant to work in pairs:  one seems to better penetrate the interior of well-insulated sedans and trucks, while the other one works very well over open spaces like freeways.  It looks, the way you mounted your horn, that you definitely have the space to mount both types, i.e. a high note horn and a low note horn to increase the effect of your signal.  You can also tell two types apart by the way their trumpet bell openings will curve out in opposite directions.

I mean, it pays to maximize the chances of being heard when you want to be instantly heard while on a bike, right?  ;-)

Nice project!
  • Arlington County, Virginia
  • 1995 K75T + Paralever, 1991 K100RS 4-valver + 1990 Flexit sidecar

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Fiamm Horn High Note Low Note
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
As I'm still a novice rider, I'm hitting that horn button on accident all the time... but definitely want to be heard...
Taking a page from the old folks—of which I am now one—I'd rather be seen than heard. :-)
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
I find that survival is more likely with situational awareness and evasive measures than a loud horn.  Horns are for old ladies in tan Buicks and assholes.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline almostordinary

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 02:22:54 PM »
... I've also got a loud exhaust. So there's that. At the moment the horns been hit about aa dozen times... all on accident.
  • Los Angeles
  • 1991 K75s

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
Horns are for old ladies in tan Buicks and assholes.
I haven't had an old lady in an asshole honk at me yet. I haven't even seen one in that state of being. I believe I'll take a trip to Buffalo for the experience.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline alabrew

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:12:12 PM »
Though you would lose your horn mount point, have you considered removing the belly pan? I think it makes it look bottom "heavy".
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »
Need recos on Exhaust, I almost want a straight pipe w minimal muffling. Thoughts?
There is enough noise already in a world filled with jangled nerves. A straight pipe won't do anything to make the engine run better. Strive for a low frequency note. Speak softly and carry a big stick. :-)
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline BrickDad

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »
I find that survival is more likely with situational awareness and evasive measures than a loud horn.  Horns are for old ladies in tan Buicks and assholes.
Rider skills are in the end always somewhat limited by by the roadway available, and to be seen (an obvious goal) one has to assume the car / truck / semi driver is always looking out, instead of occasionally at their cell phone / map / sandwich etc. 

In extremis, an effort to be noticed via a horn blast seems to work well with cell phone-focused drivers who have chosen to look inside their cabs rather than outside.  That loaded big red pickup in South Dakota which turned into my lane to pass another car on a clear afternoon on a 4 lane highway about two months ago comes to mind... I was close enough to the cab to see the driver rapidly look up from his cell phone at my horn x2 blast and THEN veer back away from me seconds before he ran me off the road into the center strip barrier.

My horns have saved my bacon multiple times, and thanks to that I see them as a reliable method of last resort at moments we least expect.  Hope this is helpful.

This only needs to work once to be worth the horns' price...
  • Arlington County, Virginia
  • 1995 K75T + Paralever, 1991 K100RS 4-valver + 1990 Flexit sidecar

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 08:04:55 AM »

greetings...

the 1st thing i do when i getts a moto is disconnect the horn... that way all my skills are directed to moto control and the roadway available and escaping all hazards... not limiting my skills to pushing a button to enable false security...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 10:00:15 AM »
to be seen (an obvious goal) one has to assume the car / truck / semi driver is always looking out, instead of occasionally at their cell phone / map / sandwich etc. 
We all should ride the ride that seems to work for us.

I don't assume anything, and to keep my emotions in balance, I no longer think of drivers of other vehicles as being human. I think of them as vehicle parts. They either function well or are defective so there is no purpose served by honking at them. After all, there are plenty of videos showing drivers pulling into lanes occupied by eighteen wheelers that are both tall and wide and whose dual air horns are being blasted at them, or riding onto railroad tracks with dual diesel engines and horns roaring away at them; dual Fiamms don't seem like the solution. Plus, using them to lecture vehicles that have occupied space that seems rightfully to belong to somebody else seems downright dimwitted. I usually honk my horn when a synapse derailment causes me to use its button as a turn indicator cancel. I haven't removed it like johnny has because I use it to attract moose.

The most important abilities I practice periodically are threshold braking with swerving and elimination of target fixation. Luckily, there are plenty of defunct shopping malls to use as practice fields and backroad straightaways can be handy, also. Watch a hundred hours of vehicle accidents on YouTube; you're likely to see a trend or two.

My focus is not only on enjoying the ride but keeping ever-foremost in my mind that other drivers and riders are likely to act unskilled, unaware, selfish, preoccupied or generally fecked, and that I've crossed into those territories too. When somebody is courteous, it increases the pleasure of riding and I always acknowledge it when I can—with a nod or wave.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 10:03:03 AM »

greetings...

the 1st thing i do when i getts a moto is disconnect the horn... that way all my skills are directed to moto control and the roadway available and escaping all hazards... not limiting my skills to pushing a button to enable false security...

j o

Eggzactly!!!  Some very high intensity LED running lights aren't a bad idea either.

A loud and long blast can easily arouse hostility in the target.  Do you really want to do that when you are in a very vulnerable position? 

The only thing I find horns are good for is to give a friend a quick toot of acknowledgement when I ride by their house and see them out in the yard.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 03:42:47 PM »
I've fitted both a 140 Db airhorn and a 6" LED light bar. Since the light's been fitted less cars pulling out in front of me and cutting me off . The horn is only very occasionally used now. The only time the horn is needed is mainly idiots on mobile phones. It doesn't seem to matter how big the fines are they still keep on using them. When coming up behind cars be aware if they start looking down they'll probably wander or veer out of their lane.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 05:09:01 PM »
There are inexpensive 12v LED spot lights for sale on ebay.  Even in bright sunlight they can be seen for at least a mile and are hard to not notice if the cager with the damn phone looks up every couple of minutes. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Martin

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »
 It cost me $16.00 Au for a pair of 6'' LED light bars just recently. I could have got them cheaper if I went through Aliexpress $5.93 Au each.
Regards Martin.

* LED light bar.jpg (61.01 kB . 768x576 - viewed 361 times)

Online Past-my-Prime

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • All of us are better when we're loved.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »
It's worth being able to honk on reflex, know where your horn is. I use it about once every second year.
Horns have saved my a$$ twice that I know of. Once, I was pulling into a parking lot and stopped to pull into a space and someone decided to back up and occupy the space I was in.  A short toot helped that someone to realize I was there, and they stopped. They were apologetic (but then I live in Canada).
Other time I was in R lane, proper blocking position, and someone (thankfully) signaled that they wanted to turn into a fast food joint which required them to occupy my space again. Quick brake application engaged the ABS (always good to have done that in parking lot or such, so that you don't have two reasons to sh!t your pants) and the horn allowed me to express my frustration as I went past him although probably didn't teach them anything.
Additional lights seems like a good idea.
And situational awareness -- seeing what the traffic ahead may do -- is the most important. I think it's safe to assume not that traffic doesn't see you but rather that they DO see you and want to kill you.
  • North Shore of Lake Superior (in my garage)
  • BRICK: 1989 K75 RT - Rocinante; NON-BRICK: 2007 F650 GS Dakar - Betty Blue

Offline johnny

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »
greetings...

how many horns are too many...

how many mirrors are too many...

* howmanymirrors.png (48.28 kB . 768x541 - viewed 338 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 12:26:22 PM »
greetings...

how many horns are too many...

how many mirrors are too many...

* howmanymirrors.png (48.28 kB . 768x541 - viewed 338 times)

j o

how many non-iconic top boxes are too many....
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline johnny

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 02:25:20 PM »
greetings...

your front hinge conversion is acceptable here at the world famous motobrick.com... however that kangeroo pouch on martins moto is out of compliance...

proally has one of these in that pouch...

* pouch.png (273.55 kB . 600x200 - viewed 339 times)

j o

Offline Martin

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »
Brick currently sports iconic 22 Lt, both Shads gone. Extra mirrors are due to neck problem to cover blind spot. And as security I have one of these in the top box.
* Drop Bear 1.jpg (41.92 kB . 480x370 - viewed 345 times)
Regards Martin.

Offline johnny

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
greetings...

right... whats the story on your other moto... the one you call grimsby...

* howmanymirrors.png (65.87 kB . 500x375 - viewed 343 times)

j o

Offline Martin

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
 :superhappy

Tags: