Author Topic: 1994 K75S OEM Low Seat Conversion Installation Complete  (Read 5136 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
1994 K75S OEM Low Seat Conversion Installation Complete
« on: September 15, 2019, 02:31:46 AM »
There's a two-year-old thread addressing a K100 low seat install, an identical job but it had a few holes such as no specifics about the L Jetronic  box holder the actuator rod (mine appears too short??) and the lack of expertise with placing the tank surround.  So with that, I'll detail my install and recreate some of what I did tonight with pics tomorrow. 

Kudos to my friend Eville Rich who sold me these cherry parts earlier this year.  Seated posture is more upright, less of a reach to the bars...eerily cruiser- like posture.  I like!

Good news is:   with my Wilbur shock backed off completely on spring preload and low sport seat installed- I now sit 99% flat-footed in my Crocs ( shop safety shoe).  My recollection is that this kit lowers the seat 1.5 inches to 29.5 inches.  My jeans inseam is 28".  I stand 5 foot 6.5"

Placing the tank surround doesn't require templates, only tough double-sided tape, preferably 3M and some patience. 

First I installed the surround and seat dry to check fit and oogle a bit.  Then I centered the surround and traced the perimeter with removable painters masking tape.  This really pays when placing the side anchors. With the tape as reference points, there's no guessing when the backing comes off the tape. 

Install the aft anchor installed in the surround.   With the bolt installed and positioned I anchored the aft mount first without the side anchors installed and noting that the sides fell exactly on the reference tape. Press firmly then remove the bolt and the surround so the aft anchor can be pressed flat.

BTW I lightly buffed the mount points on the tank with a clean rag with a splash of Laquer Thinner.  A tiny amount flashes without attacking the clear and this is the best degreaser for the double-sided tape..

With the surround removed I fit the side anchors in their respective slots on the surround... Slide the rear mount into alignment, install the bolt. Now remove the paper backing from the double sided tape, holding it away from the tank one in each hand.  Take your time, maybe get a helper here.. Position with the masking tape perimeter mask as reference.  Press the side anchors home.  Now carefully remove the surround one last time and press the side anchors solidly in place without the surround attached. The bond definitely improves by removing the rubber surround, corners etc.. The surround should now align in position and install perfectly. 

The  L Jetronic box conversion and lock swap took a solid two hours working casually. 

I'll add more details here later.  Time to rest up for an early am test ride.  Cheers.
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Rcgreaves

Re: 1994 K75S OEM Low Seat Conversion Installation Complete
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 11:36:14 PM »
500 miles touring since this install, I love the changes to my seating stance. I highly recommend for anyone 5'7" or less.  No more tippy toes.  Cheers
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »
So today I did a walk around vid for Bon Jovi to show off my low seat only when I twist the lever on the side it doesn’t release!  It did months back upon install.  I didn’t get a key with the lock set, maybe it vibrated into locking position?  Maybe Eville Rich has a key?? I’ll ask. 

So what do I do to release the latch?

500 miles touring since this install, I love the changes to my seating stance. I highly recommend for anyone 5'7" or less.  No more tippy toes.  Cheers

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »
So what do I do to release the latch?
What's the lever look like? I haven't seen a low-seat set up. Is the key slot in the lock at vertical or at 10 o'clock? If it's vertical, the lock might have engaged.

If the key slot is at 10 o'clock, I'd push on the lock button and pound upon that seat with a hammer fist in salsa rhythm until it disengaged.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 11:56:50 PM »
REVISED February 15- Here's a YouTube link to my crappy walk around video showing the low seat conversion components

So a bit more leverage on the ....key lock set release lever shown at the end of the video... and the seat released.  Not certain what's out of adjustment.  The latch hook rod is retained by a couple of U shaped hooks with ledges on each side that lock it down.  I spose a non-german design would have had a plastic casting that would have shattered in my hand?  Anyway, not my best videography, you, may quip how I was able to record while standing on my head...my wife was dizzy watching it...

Mid 40s in the Chee this week took a couple quick laps, but spring not yet in the air.

What's the lever look like? I haven't seen a low-seat set up. Is the key slot in the lock at vertical or at 10 o'clock? If it's vertical, the lock might have engaged.

If the key slot is at 10 o'clock, I'd push on the lock button and pound upon that seat with a hammer fist in salsa rhythm until it disengaged.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 08:51:05 AM »
Your .mov won't open for my computer but I'm visualizing your work. It's a beautiful thing.  icon_cheers
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 10:23:36 AM »
I don’t believe I understand my google drive settings... I uploaded it to to you tube- I’ll wrestle with it after work

Offline Bon Jon Bovi

• All's well that's going ashore
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 10:26:13 AM »
I was able to download the clip then flip it vertically. Tried Opera, which ignored my efforts to download, but Safari didn't care so got it downloaded, all 219MB of it. Thanks for the link, RC.

40s, nice. Didn't get out of the teens here yesterday. :alien
  • Cloudcroft, New Mex
  • '93 K75s-'05 R1200GS-'08 R1200RT-'88 XR600R-'74 GT80
63 years. Don't they go by in a blink...

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 12:19:25 PM »
I uploaded it to to you tube- I’ll wrestle with it after work
If you uploaded it to YouTube, all that's needed is for you to supply its link there. Don't wrestle with it on my account; I opened and viewed it with QuickTime. Good work.

The difficulty seemed to be from the latch axle mounts being loose and perhaps the key lever control rod also being out of adjustment. Your video should be helpful for some of those involved in conversion to the low seat, rc.  112350
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 03:14:41 PM »
Dear Lord Laitch why would I ever go out of my way for you🤭Candidly there’s nothing I found showing all the oem low seat bits...right side up.

Did you know Bon Jovi race UFOs in the NM desert? 

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 07:36:59 PM »
Did you know Bon Jovi race UFOs in the NM desert?
Hum a few bars and I'll fake it on my accordion.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 07:26:43 PM »
Google drive ought to work seamlessly, but my setting selection was wrong.

YouTube doesn't play nicely with some longer .mov video...ie video captures with an Apple device like my Iphone. 

I modified my earlier post.

For everyone other than Laitch interested in identifying the Low seat conversion bits, here's my contribution: 

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 07:43:37 PM »
Nice vid RC
I'm envious you're corresponding with Laitch

maybe some thin safety wire wrapped around those locking U clips will hold them in place

more Low seat info https://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=2829.0
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 08:24:55 PM »
Volador, what does that mean anyway?  Do you moonlight as a Sith Lord?

Thanks for this link, I recall referencing it, I believe this confirms I have the optiont to convert my 95' K1100RS to low seat too.  Right?  Cheers!

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »

Volador, what does that mean anyway?  Do you moonlight as a Sith Lord?
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »
Nice vid RC
I'm envious you're corresponding with Laitch

maybe some thin safety wire wrapped around those locking U clips will hold them in place

more Low seat info https://www.motobrick.com/index.php?topic=2829.0

Volador:  So concerning safety wire-

My latch set up and adjustments don't allow the forward hook to cleanly release.  That said, why does the pivot bar lock in place with these removable plastic U shaped clips? 

My thought is that some German engineer with a pocket protector and geeky glasses realized I would shatter the mounting system 25 years later in my retrofit. 

I jest, but seriously those clips popped right back into place to live another day.  "Impressed I was"- my attempt at Yoda speak

I've bought lots of OEM Honda plastics.  I continue to marvel at my Brick's engineering.  Pushing 50 degrees in the Chee today!  Time for a ride.

Offline duckhawk

• duckhawk
  • ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »
Saw 1 bike out today, another yesterday.

The low seat really allows my 5'6", 30" inseam frame to flatfoot at the stops. Really confident when my wife rides.

The low seat mechanism is pretty solid, even though I never really lock mine.
  • Cowconsin
  • 95 K75
"Go soothingly on the grease mud as there lurk the skid devil."

In Clancy's Boots: The Greatest Ever Round-The-World Motorbike Adventure.
 - Geoff Hill

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »

The low seat really allows my 5'6", 30" inseam frame to flatfoot at the stops. Really confident when my wife rides.

I too saw a couple bikes, “ amateurs” .. one a Harley the second a cafe carve job.  God it felt good to ride!

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 10:42:32 PM »

I too saw a couple bikes, “ amateurs” .. one a Harley the second a cafe carve job.  God it felt good to ride!

Tags: