Author Topic: Fuel Overflow Hose  (Read 1793 times)

Offline MCRyder

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Fuel Overflow Hose
« on: September 14, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
Replacing the fuel filter on my RT.  Like all bikes more than 20 year old, issues can crop up.  Mine is the fuel over-flow hose, probably the OEM, cracked in two while getting to the filter.  Never had this issue before as my other K75's were new and line wasn't cracked.

So a question, how vital is this line?  I'm doing  few minor maintenance items for taking a trip and it looks like the fuel pump has to be moved out and the new line ran under it (?)  More than I want to do right now.  The breaks looks old, probably broke while in the tank.  So use as is, or replace the line so the tank won't implode?  LOL

Thanks!
Mark - East Texas
'14 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'12 Aprilia Shiver
'92 BMW K75RT (#3)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Fuel Overflow Hose
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 02:16:37 PM »
Replacing the fuel filter on my RT.  Like all bikes more than 20 year old, issues can crop up.  Mine is the fuel over-flow hose, probably the OEM, cracked in two while getting to the filter.  Never had this issue before as my other K75's were new and line wasn't cracked.

So a question, how vital is this line?
Which is the overflow hose? Please post a photo. If it is the hose attached to a pump's filter basket, it isn't an overflow hose; it's a vent hose and isn't vital. A photo will clarify this, for me anyway.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline MCRyder

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 03:38:32 PM »
I'm probably using the wrong terms.  I believe it's a vent tube hose, not pressurized.  My Clymer manual doesn't show it on the tank diagrams. Having trouble getting photo attachment to work, so here goes....

* Gas 1.jpg (27.65 kB . 432x576 - viewed 273 times)

Wow, bigger than I thought.  The tube attached to this fitting.

* Gas 2.jpg (38.07 kB . 640x480 - viewed 199 times)
And to here.  The stub of the hose is seen in the upper right hand by the fuel pump.

Thanks for the response.

Mark - East Texas
'14 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'12 Aprilia Shiver
'92 BMW K75RT (#3)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:44:08 PM »
The tube attached to this fitting.
Based on my experience, if your pump has a filter basket, remove that stub from the vapor collector and don't worry about it. If the pump has a filter sock, remove that stub from the vapor collector and don't worry about it.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline MCRyder

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 04:53:46 PM »
Thanks again for the response Laitch.  Just wanting to get it buttoned back up for a local trip.  As winter gets closer I'll get around to getting new tubing and replacing it.
Mark - East Texas
'14 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'12 Aprilia Shiver
'92 BMW K75RT (#3)

Tags: