Author Topic: Change wheel Bearings???  (Read 1926 times)

Offline beemrdon

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Change wheel Bearings???
« on: September 10, 2019, 11:08:12 PM »
Well Hello there ya'll,
A question for the K brain trust.
My K1100 has almost 124,000 miles on the odo now and I am wondering if I should change the front wheel bearings as a preventive measure. I thought I heard that BMW recommends swapping the out at every 30k, which most likely nobody does.
Thanks
  • The South West... best motorcycling in the US! Longest riding season = 12 months per year
  • 1996 K1100 LT SE, Aspen Silver - Now with 159,xxx miles.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Change wheel Bearings???
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:03:42 AM »
You're correct. The BMW service schedule I have calls out wheel bearing and swing arm bearing replacement at 25,000 mile intervals. I replaced my moto's front wheel bearings at 60,000 miles because there was slight play in them. I used a bearing puller from AutoZone by leaving a credit card deposit of approximately $120. There was no charge for its use and I was allotted 10 days to use it. Once the wheel was off, extraction took ten minutes, including bird-watching. The spacer can be reused but I installed a new one.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline koapono

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 04:30:03 AM »
do you have "play" in the bearings? wheel still on the scoot? remove brake calipers to eliminate drag and give the wheel a spin, both ways. then Check for any side-to-side movement.
Front wheels just roll merrily along, my 85 still has original bearings on the front. Some last forever, some don't make it around the block.
you'll find age is not a discriminator and should not be the sole source for replacing items.

ride on!
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
do you have "play" in the bearings? wheel still on the scoot? remove brake calipers to eliminate drag and give the wheel a spin, both ways. then Check for any side-to-side movement.
Front wheels just roll merrily along, my 85 still has original bearings on the front. Some last forever, some don't make it around the block.
you'll find age is not a discriminator and should not be the sole source for replacing items.

ride on!

+1  Why make ownership more expensive than it has to be?
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
greetings...

i gotts a front wheel with 2 hundert on it and another with 1.5 hundert on it...  wheel bearings are still 100%...

swing arm bearings and rotor bobbins are a different matter...

i think properly lined up shaft and properly lubed up shaft and properly lubed up spacers everytime the wheel goes back on is key to wheel bearing life...

and bouncing the front tior on the ground  with the front brake locked before tighting the pinch bolts makes a difference too...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline Soggz

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • 2 wheels are better than 4,but 4 wheels,2 bikes...
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
My K has done about 78k,now. I’m the 13th owner. I don’t even know if it got the original wheels!.lol
  • Down in Selwood Forest
  • 1986 K75C, 1982 Honda CX500EC Eurostreetbrat
One More Of These,One Less Of Those...

Tags: