Author Topic: ‘86 K100RT need help on correct radiator cover  (Read 3457 times)

Offline TREEGUY

• Curious
‘86 K100RT need help on correct radiator cover
« on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:15 PM »
Hello fellow brickers! I purchased my bike without any front fairing or radiator cover, so I’m not sure what is possible to fit on it. I’d like to use the one piece wraparound cover but I’m not sure if my attachment points will allow ( see below - grey) Can anyone tell me one way or another? I have the round headlight and naked cluster so the full fairing does not seem an option. Any help would be appreciated!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • SW Mich garage
  • 86 K100 RT naked
Rush fan!

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: ‘86 K100RT need help on correct radiator cover
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 07:41:45 PM »
greetings...

:welcome

you need to run your vin and getts the correct part numbers of the tank and radiator... too much whack out there... gotta crossreference... some have 3 core radiators and some have 2 core radiators... the radiator cowls are different... some fuel tanks are different too...

* yeeehaaaa.png (46.63 kB . 577x576 - viewed 489 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline TREEGUY

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »
Yes, I am very aware there are many options, just wondering if anyone can tell by the attachment points below the tank if it will take the wrap around or not, as I have no want / intent to put a full fairing on this bike. How exactly can the VIN help me other than tell me it’s an RT? My nearest dealer is an hour away, not really an option to just pop in
  • SW Mich garage
  • 86 K100 RT naked
Rush fan!

Offline TREEGUY

• Curious
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
The red radiator cover below is what I’d like to install, but I believe that’s a K75?
  • SW Mich garage
  • 86 K100 RT naked
Rush fan!

Offline johnny

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »
greetings...

we have a failure to communicate...

nobody can say for sure... its all up to you to do your doo dillergence... run your vin... confirm itsa rt 1st... i already gave you the link...

once again... you need to look up the part number... then before you buy you need the seller to say their part number... then you need to verify their part number matches up to your part number... i already gave you the link...

the reason is there are different tanks... different radiators... and different cowls...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 02:04:49 AM »
just wondering if anyone can tell by the attachment points below the tank if it will take the wrap around or not, as I have no want / intent to put a full fairing on this bike.
The purpose of running the VIN—as johnny has recommended—is to know exactly what you have and when it was made. Parts are model- and year-dependent. There have been changes across the years that can affect fit, appearance and/or function.

Attached is the diagram of the wrap-around radiator cover assembly designed for a K100 Standard. This diagram is available in the frame and body section of the K75/K100 2V workshop manual available here at the world famous MOTOBRICK.COM. You'll also find other styles of radiator covers in that section and can determine if they will work with what you've got.

The red arrows indicate locations of the fuel tank prongs, their cylindrical bushings, and their receivers molded into the front of the cover. The blue arrows indicate a prong attached within the side cover and where it is pushed through a grommet in a flange of the fuel tank. The green rectangle indicates a center pin assembly and its mounting point.

Does your tank have the forward prongs? Without them, that particularly rare assembly won't firmly attach. The radiator also affects clearance and the ability to mount the part at all. If you look through the Custom Motobrick section here, you'll find some well designed treatments of radiators without that assembly.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline TREEGUY

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 06:16:56 AM »
Thanks guys - just looking over the link with my VIN as I did before, I cant see anything other than a full fairing being offered on my bike. This causes me to grind my teeth, but I will look over the custom section, maybe I can find something. I just dont want to order something for $$$ and have it not come close to fitting, but I guess thats the fun of chasing down obsolete parts. Thanks again
  • SW Mich garage
  • 86 K100 RT naked
Rush fan!

Offline johnny

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »
greetings...

you do not understand...

your moto does not come with that cowl oe... that is why you have to do your doo dillergence...

you have to determine what tank you have and what radiator you have.. then you have to find a moto with the same tank and radiator that has that cowl...  then that is the part number you need to find...

once you getts the right cowl you will see how it mounts and what you need to mount it... or you can start buying cowls till you getts lucky...

http://www.largiader.com/k75/ktanks.html

its that easy...

j o

Offline alabrew

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 05:29:27 PM »
I don't see any reason a naked K100 3 piece radiator cowl wouldn't fit. Kind of hard to find, and you missed one posted here not long ago.
There was also post not long ago about an aftermarket one, but I can't seem to find it quickly.
cafe4racer.com has the sides but no center cover. Notice that they list two different covers, that's what Johnny was taking about. Make sure you git the RIGHT part.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:09:04 PM »
I don't see any reason a naked K100 3 piece radiator cowl wouldn't fit.
If his moto's radiator ends have bosses to receive the side panel brackets indicated in the attached diagram, it is likely to fit, especially if all cover pieces have their attachment points intact.

Without prongs on the tank, the two-piece model won't snap on as designed. Without bosses on the radiator to receive the brackets, the three-piece model won't assemble as designed. TREEGUY should post a photo of one of his moto's radiator ends. If he finds covers for sale, he should ask for inside photos of them to determine how they attach.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline johnny

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »
greetings...

bocuttered could always make some oughtta wood...

j o

Tags: