Author Topic: Riding in the Rain  (Read 12965 times)

Offline ScooterNSticks

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Riding in the Rain
« on: September 04, 2019, 08:49:02 AM »
A friend and I did a 250 ride last Friday -- me on my K75 and him on a K1300.  I thought it would be a leisurely ride to Antietam National Battlefield.  Turned out to be something different.  Learned a few things about my "new" 1992 K75.  Learned more about what an idiotic I can be.

Here's the link to the story:  https://scooterinthesticks.com/2019/09/mistakes-and-lessons-on-riding/

Would not have happened if I was riding my Vespa.  More storage space would have meant more gear with me.  I really do need to get beyond my obsession with the naked look of the K75 and mount the damn side cases. 

• Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: Riding in the Rain
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »
The iconic 22L tailpac is perfect for raingear and a luncheon of cheese and wine.  And it maintains that slim profile for aerodynamics and lane splitting, 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:21:38 AM »
Good touring gear not only protects from impacts and sliding on pavement, but is also rain proof.

The option is to think of rain as liquid air conditioning.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »
To help with that conceptual transition, start thinking of air conditioning as dry rain.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:06:08 PM »
The iconic 22L tailpac is perfect for raingear and a luncheon of cheese and wine.  And it maintains that slim profile for aerodynamics and lane splitting,

I won't argue the Iconic 22L would be useful.  But whenever I see a picture of it I immediately see Sally Field in "The Flying Nun."  Is that normal? 

Right now I am considering a factory luggage rack on the rear cowl so I can bungee cord something back there.  I took the Reynolds Rack off because it was so aesthetically displeasing.  So I am a long way off from considering a top case.  I think I'll need to go without food for a few days before it rises to the level of consideration.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »
Good touring gear not only protects from impacts and sliding on pavement, but is also rain proof.

I have plenty of gear to wear.  But for some reason I lost my mind and didn't put it on or take it along.  I plead temporary insanity caused by the uncontrollable insanity brought on by the K75.

Hell, I ride through the winter down to -18F on the Vespa.  Why I screwed up with the K75 can only be some sort of Teutonic flu or brain fungus.

The attached photo from five years ago shows what -8F looks like arriving at work on January 7th.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 12:36:41 PM »
Another winter rider :welcome  I started riding year round when I got the Ural, that 3rd wheel gave me the confidence on ice and stupidity gives me the ability to venture out in 5 below zero weather.  Love the looks I get from cagers.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 01:00:42 PM »
Another winter rider :welcome  I started riding year round when I got the Ural, that 3rd wheel gave me the confidence on ice and stupidity gives me the ability to venture out in 5 below zero weather.  Love the looks I get from cagers.

Winter riders are rare this far north.  I'll likely ride the K75 through the winter but I'll be far more discriminating on the weather.  It will have to be absolutely clear and dry.  It's too big and heavy to dice around in snow and ice like I do with the scooter.  And the scooter is fully featured to endure the cold.

If you're really looking to enhance your traction -- I have a package of GripStuds I'm willing to sell.  Bought them for the scooter tires but since I already run Heidenau winter tires I felt I didn't really need them. 
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »
Thanks, so far with 2wd and Duro 307's I've been fine in deep snow
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Martin

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 05:32:00 PM »
I suffer from the Boy Scout Syndrome and probably carry too much as far as tools and spares are concerned. besides a couple of flats I've only used the spares and tools on mates bikes. QLD is in the middle of a drought at the moment and I have yet to  eliminate my wet weather gear. I have a couple of jackets that have a compact wet liner which might go in the tail unit if I didn't carry so much.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »
greetings...

bricks dont like it below 30 degrees... lotts of whack happens below 30 degrees... especially fuel pumps fork seals switches master seals...

just saying...

j o

Really?  What sort of lame ass engineering is that from a Bavarian manufacturer?  I figured they rode all their motorcycles to the ski resort in winter? 

Good to know because I would likely ride it routinely to 25F.  I'll make a mental note that it's a fair weather machine -- only ride above the freezing mark.

Anything else weather related I should know about this fainting flower?
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 08:21:48 PM »
Anything else weather related I should know about this fainting flower?
Keep it out of the rain and don't let it get dusty.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »
Keep it out of the rain and don't let it get dusty.

I've heard you shouldn't sit on it if you weigh more than 85 pounds.  Is that true?
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 08:45:21 PM »
I've heard you shouldn't sit on it if you weigh more than 85 pounds.  Is that true?
No. Sitting on it is ok; riding at any weight is just plain risky.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline BrickDad

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 10:02:22 PM »
I strongly suggest a set of OEM "city cases" for your K75.

They are much narrower than the regular BMW touring cases.  This smaller, svelte size prevents "ratpack overloading".

They look great on the K.  They are also very handy for off- and on-loading.

My set of city cases + tank bag + 22 liter top case + a rear seat duffle bag (camping gear) took me across the U.S. this Summer.

They are available from Euro BMW e-marketers.

• Arlington County, Virginia
  • 1995 K75T + Paralever, 1991 K100RS 4-valver + 1990 Flexit sidecar

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 10:59:40 PM »
I strongly suggest a set of OEM "city cases" for your K75.

They are much narrower than the regular BMW touring cases.  This smaller, svelte size prevents "ratpack overloading".

They look great on the K.  They are also very handy for off- and on-loading.

My set of city cases + tank bag + 22 liter top case + a rear seat duffle bag (camping gear) took me across the U.S. this Summer.

They are available from Euro BMW e-marketers.

I have the OEM Gen 2 cases -- the ones with the round key locks.  Will experiment with them before making any decisions about something different.  At our local Moto Hang this evening one of the riders who has done a number of long, long rides including one around the world told me I should get GIVI side cases.  He uses them on his DL650 and they work like crash guards.  Look flimsy but are the sturdiest cases he has ever used.  I'll put that bit of information in my storage gourd for awhile too.

It will be rare for me to do more than a long day.  And then only a night or two on the road.  No cross country rides for the foreseeable future... :(
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 12:15:01 AM »
I have the OEM Gen 2 cases . . . one of the riders . . . told me I should get GIVI side cases.  . . .  they work like crash guards.
I have System 3 cases on my moto. They're slightly wider and the covers have a rounded contour. They've been launched across pothole fields and tumbled down rip-rapped river banks. They've been beaten on and one had an organ replacement but they haven't been defeated, and they can be repaired in the workshop.

They are excellent as crash guards. They make lifting a dropped moto easier. Your System 2 cases will likely lead a more sedate life than mine.

The fault of these cases is the latch that secures them to the z-rack. Its grip can become loose enough that it can flex open sufficiently to release the case if the moto powers over a deep pothole or a pothole field. Adding some rubber sheet to the forward inside plane of the case where it contacts the z-rack will tighten the latch's grip on the rack. Put your contact information in an inconspicuous place on the case so it might be returned to you after you blissfully bounce away from it with a hearty Yeeeeeehaw.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 08:28:19 AM »
I have System 3 cases on my moto. They're slightly wider and the covers have a rounded contour. They've been launched across pothole fields and tumbled down rip-rapped river banks. They've been beaten on and one had an organ replacement but they haven't been defeated, and they can be repaired in the workshop.

They are excellent as crash guards. They make lifting a dropped moto easier. Your System 2 cases will likely lead a more sedate life than mine.

The fault of these cases is the latch that secures them to the z-rack. Its grip can become loose enough that it can flex open sufficiently to release the case if the moto powers over a deep pothole or a pothole field. Adding some rubber sheet to the forward inside plane of the case where it contacts the z-rack will tighten the latch's grip on the rack. Put your contact information in an inconspicuous place on the case so it might be returned to you after you blissfully bounce away from it with a hearty Yeeeeeehaw.

I'll definitely put my contact info on the cases so if they are ever lost on a ride....

The cases "seem" to be really tight on the Z-rack already.  Going to put them on again today and will evaluate the need for the rubber sheeting as you suggest.  No tumbling down river banks for me on the K75.  Too old.  Too smart.  Well, too old at least.  The rough housing is Vespa territory.  I've slid it down slag heaps, across rough stuff my Adventure bike friends don't attempt, and if I only had knobby tires I would be exploring the single tracks here.  But the K75.  It lives on pavement.  And the occasional well-maintained gravel forest road.

Thanks for the suggestions on the side cases.

BTW -- I was called out yesterday for calling them side cases.  Was informed a real BMW rider would refer to them as Krausers.  Am I real or a pretender??
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 11:16:01 AM »
The attached photo from five years ago shows what -8F looks like arriving at work on January 7th.
I'll pass when it drops below -25ºC, or there's too much *no* on the ground. And that would be on the scoot, not the brick. I do recall, when I got the insc + plate on the Twingle, taking it for it's first spin around the neighbourhood on Groundhog Day.
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 11:26:42 AM »
I was called out yesterday for calling them side cases.  Was informed a real BMW rider would refer to them as Krausers.  Am I real or a pretender??
I think you're both part of an ongoing delusion. Maybe he meant Mausers because he's a head case.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 12:33:13 PM »
I'll pass when it drops below -25ºC, or there's too much *no* on the ground. And that would be on the scoot, not the brick. I do recall, when I got the insc + plate on the Twingle, taking it for it's first spin around the neighbourhood on Groundhog Day.

Riding at -25C is cold.  Have only done that a few times.  Early in my scooter career I did a 50 mile ride on my Vespa LX 150.  No heated gear.  No protection from the wind other than my normal jacket, pants, layers and helmets.  Had to stop a lot to warm my hands on the muffler.  But it wasn't too bad.  It was sunny outside.

Snow -- that's another story.  Have found myself in snow quite a few times and often not by choice.  This was during a sudden, unexpected squall on my way back to the office at lunch time.  The paved roads were awful and dangerous with traffic.  So I cut across the University farms where I knew I would find some traction.

• Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
greetings...

i gotts a spare set of krausers and city bags available for sale... just saying...

riding in the cold... donts letts yourn eyedrops freeze...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

j o

Thanks for the offer.  I'll keep it in mind if the ones I have get lost on the road.  I put them on a little while ago and will go for a spin after I finish a few chores.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »
I think you're both part of an ongoing delusion. Maybe he meant Mausers because he's a head case.

Didn't a Mauser come standard with the early BMWs?  The G41 with a rondel in the stock.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »
Didn't a Mauser come standard with the early BMWs?  The G41 with a rondel in the stock.

I think those were MG 32's.  My Ural has a mount for one but it's really hard to get a hold of a functioning one.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2019, 01:27:08 PM »
I think those were MG 32's.  My Ural has a mount for one but it's really hard to get a hold of a functioning one.

That just seems like overkill.  Like a 1250 GS adventure bike.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Tags: