Author Topic: Greetings and Questions about K75  (Read 22910 times)

Offline ScooterNSticks

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Greetings and Questions about K75
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2019, 06:33:07 PM »
greetings...

the k75 is a scooter...

if you want a motocycle you gotts to getts the k eleven hundert rs...

j o

I got the K75 exactly because it is a scooter.  I didn't want to have to change the name of my blog.
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline VAK75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
I met up with Brickdad today who very kindly offered me the opportunity to examine and sit on his K75.  His is a very nicely maintained and equipped Standard, and he added a Corbin seat to replace the standard low seat.  (His city cases are VERY nice - - much less bulky than the larger cases I’ve seen in photos.)

The K75 feels big and heavy compared to the Rebel (no surprise.)  The seat height was too tall for my leg length. 

Brickdad estimates that his original low seat would reduce seat height only by about an inch.  I will have to test a low seat.  If it only gets me an inch closer to the ground, I’m not sure if that will be enough.

Is a suspension lowering kit available or was a low suspension ever offered as an option on the K75? 

• Northern Virginia/Metro DC
  • No motobrick yet - - researching

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2019, 10:16:54 PM »
greetings...

some folks lower the tree on the fork tubes an inch and getts a rear shock spec an inch shorter...

this messes with the oe moto geometry and will cause you to drag toe and break ankle if not careful...

if you score a low seat moto and lower it like this it will be a low ridor for sure... i prefer ground clearance over continuous dragging...

some moes here have done just that...  they will describe the particulars...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Martin

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2019, 11:05:38 PM »
As per my previous post 1/ Thicker soled motorcycle boots will give you an 1" plus. 2/ Shoe lifts another 1" plus.3/ You can drop the forks through the trees 1/2' with no adverse effects. 4/ Have the seat nose shaved this will allow you to better get your legs down and give you another 1"plus or minus. 5/ Have the seat foam redone by a competent upholsterer to lower the whole seat. 1" plus. 6/ Get a 1'' lower rear shock but this will effect the handling and your ability to get it onto the centre stand. This can be overcome by shortening your stand legs. I am 5'7" with short penguin legs. I have lowered my front forks through the trees 1/2" wear thicker soled boots, shaved and lowered my seat and I can flat foot with bent knees.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2019, 01:02:04 AM »
Stock OE Damper length

K100 4V, K1100 (paralever)- 390mm 15.375"

K75, K100 2V (monolever)- 360mm 14.2"

For lowering K75- Progressive Suspensions #412-4016B  13.2"

YSS Suspensions offers many lengths in something like a Z-366 TR

http://www.yssusa.com/series-z.html
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline wiarmu

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2019, 03:19:42 AM »
The bike I bought last week has a low after-market seat.  I have a 32 inch inseam and can plant the ball of my foot on the ground when the bike is on the center stand.  I'm just coming back to riding after a long break and I like the low seat for the time being.  I've been practicing low speed maneuvers and it's reassuring to know I can put my feet firmly on the ground if needed.

I've only been out riding the k75 3 times since I got it this week.  The bike is very easy to ride.  I can make tighter circles on this than I could on the TU250 I used for my BRC course 2 years ago.

As far as finding your bike.  I looked for on craigslist for 2 years before I found the one for me.  After looking for awhile I stopped worrying about finding one that had low miles.  I decided that I would rather have a k75 with 50K that has been lovingly maintained and actually ridden, than one that has 12k and sat in a garage for the last 10 years.

While searching, I called local BMW mechanics and asked them what are the main things to look at.  All of them were happy to spend 10 or 15 minutes educating me.  This also helped me decide where I was going to go for maintenance.  The BMW dealership only had one guy that worked on old bikes and his schedule was booked months ahead.  I found a small place where the owners had worked on old BMW's for years and had a great reputation.
  • Seattle Wa
  • 1992 k75c

Offline VAK75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2019, 07:28:13 AM »
Thank you, johnny, Martin, volador, and wiarmu for the suggestions.  This info is very helpful.  Martin, sorry I misssed your earlier post with all the tips for gaining some inches - - it’s all very encouraging.

Brickdad’s K75 really impressed me.  There’s a lot of engineering and clever features in these bikes. Plus they look awesome.  I am not ruling out a K75 yet and hopefully I can make it work.  Planning to watch local craigslist and see if anything materializes locally.  But it could be a while before I end up buying one - -  I have a good training bike so I’m not in a hurry.

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
I love my Brick, however, saw this easy to ride 3/4 liter class bike near you in nice condition.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/vienna-super-nice-2014-honda-ctx700/6961742437.html
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline VAK75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 02:58:53 PM »
I love my Brick, however, saw this easy to ride 3/4 liter class bike near you in nice condition.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/d/vienna-super-nice-2014-honda-ctx700/6961742437.html

Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve sat on the CTX at Honda dealers.  They are an interesting bike, with a nice low seat.  Very sleek and modern/hi-tech.  Most of the new ones come with automatic transmissions.  They kind of remind me of a 3/4- or 4/5-scale Goldwing.

But here’s the thing, I prefer older classic styling over sleek/modern.  I guess I’m more of an analogue guy.   Though they are different styles of bikes, my Rebel 250 and the K75 are more in line in that respect.

Another member here suggested I should explore the BMW R65.  I know this forum is dedicated to K bikes, but from what I see in signatures there are quite a few airheads here as well.   Does anybody have any first hand feedback on this model?

Offline natalena

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2019, 04:54:26 PM »
There was a guy selling an R65 standard down in Charlottesville not long ago, it was listed for a long time on Craig's, and might still be there. Alfadoc who posts on here occasionally is selling his K75, also mid-VA area. Good Luck, likewise, still wear wind-up, mechanical watches. :)
  • MST

Offline VAK75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
There was a guy selling an R65 standard down in Charlottesville not long ago, it was listed for a long time on Craig's, and might still be there. Alfadoc who posts on here occasionally is selling his K75, also mid-VA area. Good Luck, likewise, still wear wind-up, mechanical watches. :)

Yeah, I have seen the ad for that one.  Looks very nice, relatively close by, original owner too.  But it’s a 1980 model, and from what I’ve learned so far it’s preferable to find a later model year with point-less ignition.  And some other tweeks came along that improved the R65 later in the production run. 

Also, they seem to be pricey compared to K bikes, and objectively the K bike appears to be a much more advanced machine... But I’m still in the information gathering stages.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 11:31:20 PM »
My only knowledge is gleaned from conversations with Airhead connoisseurs so I may be very incorrect, but I have the impression that the R65 is a very desirable model and possibly very collectible.  Hence the price.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline natalena

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2019, 06:50:33 AM »
Absolutely, and hence, why I've been searching for a fine R65LS example. Sort of like getting the progenitor of the K75.
  • MST

Offline duckytran

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2019, 08:48:42 AM »
Absolutely, and hence, why I've been searching for a fine R65LS example. Sort of like getting the progenitor of the K75.

I know someone in Austin selling a very fine R65LS if you're interested.
  • Austin, Texas
  • 1993 K75, 1981 R65

Offline VAK75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »

I know someone in Austin selling a very fine R65LS if you're interested.

Have you ever had your K75 side-by-side with the R65LS?  If so, can you give me your impressions of the size difference, particularly with respect to seat height?

Oddly, the published specs suggest that an R65 is actually a taller bike than the K75.  I find that hard to believe but have never seen one in person.  From what I understand, the R65 was built on a smaller frame than the R80 etc. 

That said, the published spec also shows the R65 to be a lighter bike by about 50 lbs (10%).  It could well be that that it has a much lower CG as well, with the boxer engine.  But the brick engine doesn't exactly look like a high CG arrangement by any means.

Offline stokester

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2019, 09:06:55 PM »
Yeah, I have seen the ad for that one.  Looks very nice, relatively close by, original owner too.  But it’s a 1980 model, and from what I’ve learned so far it’s preferable to find a later model year with point-less ignition.  And some other tweeks came along that improved the R65 later in the production run. 

Also, they seem to be pricey compared to K bikes, and objectively the K bike appears to be a much more advanced machine... But I’m still in the information gathering stages.
Owning both, a couple of airheads as well as two K75,. I like them both.

They are both well in the ability of the home mechanic and have good community and corporate support for parts and maintenance.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »
Have you ever had your K75 side-by-side with the R65LS?  If so, can you give me your impressions of the size difference, particularly with respect to seat height?

I graduated from an LS to a K75s back in '86, kept the LS for a couple years then sold it because I never rode it anymore.  Impressions: relatively slow, buzzy enough to put hands to sleep, It seemed much more than 50lb lighter and made the K feel really top heavy.  Hard luggage was hard to find, smaller frame didn't accept R80-100 gear.  I never recall the seat height being an issue with my 30" inseam, could be the narrower seat made it easier to flat foot than the K.  It was a fun around town bike but not much fun for all day superslap jaunts.  Here's a side by side pic.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Martin

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2019, 10:46:14 PM »
Twenty plus years ago I was looking at getting another bike. I used to work with an ex BMW Harley tech and after a few talks with him I had settled on getting an R80. When I told him he said I should look at a K75 saying they were highly underrated. I did a bit of online research and I bought one and I have never regretted my decision, best bike I've ever owned.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline VAK75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2019, 07:46:42 AM »
I graduated from an LS to a K75s back in '86, kept the LS for a couple years then sold it because I never rode it anymore.  Impressions: relatively slow, buzzy enough to put hands to sleep, It seemed much more than 50lb lighter and made the K feel really top heavy.  Hard luggage was hard to find, smaller frame didn't accept R80-100 gear.  I never recall the seat height being an issue with my 30" inseam, could be the narrower seat made it easier to flat foot than the K.  It was a fun around town bike but not much fun for all day superslap jaunts.  Here's a side by side pic.

Can’t thank you enough for that feedback and photo.  Man, that was a super-sweet combo of bikes you had there for a while! 

They look to be pretty close to the same size.  Do you suppose the sense you had that the R65LS was more than 50 lbs lighter came from a lower CG?   With your 30” inseam, how does the height compare on the K75S and does it have the low seat or standard?

What a dilemma!  Your input hasn’t made my decision any easier.  These are both nice options - - from what I’ve learned the R65LS has many of the neat features that are on the K bikes (I’m primarily thinking of the  underseat storage.)  It’s almost like the “missing link” between the old airheads and the “new” K bikes.

Offline VAK75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »
Twenty plus years ago I was looking at getting another bike. I used to work with an ex BMW Harley tech and after a few talks with him I had settled on getting an R80. When I told him he said I should look at a K75 saying they were highly underrated. I did a bit of online research and I bought one and I have never regretted my decision, best bike I've ever owned.
Regards Martin.

Thanks Martin.  No question the K75 is an outstanding bike.  My only concern is can I make it fit me by lowering a low seat version?

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »
greetings...

this is what we need to intelligently advise you vak75...

we need front side back photos of you naked except for wearing your moto riding boots...

put a tape from your heel to your taint that we can easily see the inches in all photos...

we will measure it up... heel to knee and knee to taint... we will factor the height and width of the seat...

a bonus photo of a squat man spreading upper leggs horizional and lower leggs verticle to the assphalt would be nice...

then we will approve you for standard height motobricking or we will disqualify you for standard height motobricking...

its that easy... poast up those photos... then you can stop your freaking and commence motobricking...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2019, 08:38:04 AM »
this is what we need to intelligently advise you vak75 . . .
The only addition I'd make to johnny's list is for you to wear purple ankle socks. They'd need to be thin so they don't affect leg length measurement. There's just something about purple socks. Additionally, consider wearing a purple mask with feather plumes extending from each temple and gaze over your shoulder. That would be nice, too.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2019, 10:13:04 AM »
The only addition I'd make to johnny's list is for you to wear purple ankle socks. They'd need to be thin so they don't affect leg length measurement. There's just something about purple socks. Additionally, consider wearing a purple mask with feather plumes extending from each temple and gaze over your shoulder. That would be nice, too.

Ewwww!!!  I'm done with this thread.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
Ewwww!!!
People just don't understand that engineering and art can work together.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline VAK75

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »
greetings...

this is what we need to intelligently advise you vak75...

we need front side back photos of you naked except for wearing your moto riding boots...

put a tape from your heel to your taint that we can easily see the inches in all photos...

we will measure it up... heel to knee and knee to taint... we will factor the height and width of the seat...

a bonus photo of a squat man spreading upper leggs horizional and lower leggs verticle to the assphalt would be nice...

then we will approve you for standard height motobricking or we will disqualify you for standard height motobricking...

its that easy... poast up those photos... then you can stop your freaking and commence motobricking...

j o

I only just now learned that Motobrick is a “virtual gay bmw biker bar.”  My fault for not checking the aggregating sites before signing up.  No judgement - - just not my thing. 

Thanks to those who provided helpful info.  Safe riding to all.

Tags: