Author Topic: K100 running rough  (Read 149 times)

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
  • I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.
K100 running rough
« on: August 29, 2019, 09:23:56 PM »
Hi. I have been enjoying riding my 1985 K100 all summer. Recently, however, ol' blue has developed a symptom of an unknown problem; first it seemed to just rattle or knock when I was just taking off, or similarly if i didn't shift down appropriately for the low speed I was going. I thought this may be because of an occasional use of mid-grade gas rather than the high test I usually use. I don't believe the fuel is really the problem, as I have used several tank fulls of ethanol-free high test since then.
a week or so ago, this rattle problem got worse on a 150 mile trip I did.  Not only did it seem that the rattle seemed more apparent, but a distressing loss of power accompanied it. The way out of this condition seems to be higher revs (sometimes accomplished by a downshift). the engine rattles, and has almost no power, then with a downshift, it is like it coughs, and then I've got power again, provided I don't lug or bog the engine. The other thing that happened during that trip, was the warning (triangle) light came on, and has stayed on ever since every time the bike is running.
There is plenty of oil in the bike, but I am concerned about this symptom. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: K100 running rough
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 10:28:53 PM »
greetings...

fore pin and tail light bulb...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 01:44:48 AM »
…ahhh!  I was close… (I was beginning to suspect it was low on blinker fluid) !!
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Offline Laitch

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 03:11:54 AM »
Disconnect and clean the fuel pump connector's pins and sockets and reset tightly and replace defective tail light /brake light bulbs as j o suggested. Update previous threads with the results if you followed any of the suggestions given within them. If you haven't replaced your fuel filter and checked the condition of the fuel tank's internal fuel lines, now might be the time.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,296.msg53303.html#msg53303

Offline Scott_

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 06:17:06 AM »
When was the last time you ran any Techron or other injector cleaner in the system.
  • My Garage
Ride safe.

1997 K1100LT 0302488
1995 K1100LT 0302044
Garmin StreetPilot 2820
Garmin Zumo 550
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »
greetings...

fore pin and tail light bulb...

j o
I have to apologize for my coy response to your suggestion j o. I haven't been here, (nor even had my K), long enough to realize how interconnected the systems are on the bike, and to respond according to the serious help given. Thank you.   
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »
When was the last time you ran any Techron or other injector cleaner in the system.
I ran some Techron in the system when I was having issues with my submersible hose and fuel filter this early spring.
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Offline Ironwrx

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
Disconnect and clean the fuel pump connector's pins and sockets and reset tightly and replace defective tail light /brake light bulbs as j o suggested. Update previous threads with the results if you followed any of the suggestions given within them. If you haven't replaced your fuel filter and checked the condition of the fuel tank's internal fuel lines, now might be the time.
Hi, I just updated my earlier thread with results. I did change the hoses and filter as suggested with good results as expected (thank you). It didn't dawn on me that the taillight bulb might be the issue for the warning light, as it coincided with the running problem. I will check whats been suggested, and I will get back here with updates (I promise).
  • Westminster West
  • 1985 K100 83 Type 0511
- Jon

Tags: