Author Topic: Brake pad pins, spring Brembo part number?  (Read 3845 times)

Offline szabgab

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Brake pad pins, spring Brembo part number?
« on: August 29, 2019, 06:45:28 AM »
Dear all,

My brakes are not very good, if it rains, they are even weaker, so I have to dismantle the top, take the pads out and clean the mighty amount of rust building up on the pins and spring. It is good again for a while and squeak, shitty performance etc follows in quick order. I have cleaned the pins already three times this year and it is getting tiresome, so I though to get a new set of pins to all my brakes. BMW Hungary stocks the BMW items for a fortune, if I order online, postage would be higher, what the pins cost, so I was just wondering, if there is a direct Brembo part number (like with the Bosch stuff) I could look up? Many bikes of the era used the same brakes, so I guess there must be a generic p.n. somewhere without the stupidly high BMW markup...

Thanks! 
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline szabgab

Re: Brake pad pins, spring Brembo part number?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 07:19:29 AM »
What I was able to gather, K75 front brakes are either Brembo F08 or F09. Rear wheel caliper is a wild guess, as the F05 rear wheel brake from the same era uses different style pins (could well be Brembo P108, which is most likely a differently styled F08).

Also from an Italian parts website I was able to gather (using google translate, so don't torch me, if I'm saying something stupid), pins for F08-F09 and P108 are the same and if I am not mistaken, pad pins for the rear and front on a K75 are the same size
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:22:22 AM »
Spray the pins with rust inhibiting chemical.  that might stop the eventual buildup of rust on the pins.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
I was just wondering, if there is a direct Brembo part number (like with the Bosch stuff) I could look up? 
Sure. If I was able to look it up, there must be one. This is it.

Spray the pins with rust inhibiting chemical.  that might stop the eventual buildup of rust on the pins.
+1 Choose from these products.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline szabgab

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:01:59 PM »
Sure. If I was able to look it up, there must be one. This is it.
+1 Choose from these products.

Thank you guys.  Laitch -  I did find the same site and caliper,  I was just not sure,  if they are indeed the F08 - P108 calipers,  our bikes sport.

Rust inhibitor wise -  I have tried copper grease,  that made rusting even worse,  graphite high temp grease,  that disappeared too in short order. I guess it is the heat,  that gets rid of the grease,  do the inhibitors survive the watery environment and wide temp fluctuations present?
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline rbm

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »
Heat?  What heat?!  We are talking the two pins that secure the pads to the callipers so that they don't eject, right?  If you're experiencing heat issues with those pins, then you've got a bigger problem.  There should be no operating temperatures on those components that cause evaporation of lubricants to occur.  Are your pads rubbing?  Are your disks heating up?
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline szabgab

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 04:25:05 PM »
Heat?  What heat?!  We are talking the two pins that secure the pads to the callipers so that they don't eject, right?  If you're experiencing heat issues with those pins, then you've got a bigger problem.  There should be no operating temperatures on those components that cause evaporation of lubricants to occur.  Are your pads rubbing?  Are your disks heating up?

Yes Robert, that's right. The two pins, plus the middle pin and the spring itself. The front is a no issue heatwise, however the copper grease turned into some mighty goo and rust and the graphite grease good up to 200C dried up, the pins have gone all rusty again, all in a matter of three months and the bike being driven twice in that time in rain. The rear brake I have an ongoing saga with as the whole shebang is heating up, even if the brake is not dragging, whilst stationary and me spinning the wheel by hand.
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline rbm

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 05:25:07 PM »
Rather than trying to cover up a symptom, you should investigate the cause.  The brakes should not heat up; the pins should not rust as you have described; any lubricant should not evaporate as you've described.  My pins for my brakes are still intact 10-12 years without exhibiting any of the problems you describe.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
Maybe that noisy crown gear bearing might be generating heat that's being transferred to the brake rotor. How many miles have you ridden the moto since April this year, szabgab?
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline szabgab

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
Rather than trying to cover up a symptom, you should investigate the cause.  The brakes should not heat up; the pins should not rust as you have described; any lubricant should not evaporate as you've described.  My pins for my brakes are still intact 10-12 years without exhibiting any of the problems you describe.

I did investigate, I have taken the rear brake system apart to the tiniest pieces possible, cleaned every passage, shimmed the caliper, as it was slightly off-centre from the rotor and had a VERY lengthy discussion about this nerving everybody on this forum, as there was no solution, only me bragging on about my brakes being shitty and nothing actually helping. When I have taken my brake system apart at first, the pins were rusty, so I had to sand them big time - so there was no plating left at the end of this exercise (the pins were already pitted and the spring rusty all around). So even though I have polished the bare metal pins, they still rusted up, and before reading how copper grease can actually help rusting (being conductive enough) I applied some of the stuff on the pins, the bores and the sides of the pads. With the graphite grease the rust is a tad less of a problem, but what is - this grease is drying up and becoming a goo, that makes the pins sticky... Anyway, probably the anti-rust grease or a dedicated brake grease could help with that

Maybe that noisy crown gear bearing might be generating heat that's being transferred to the brake rotor. How many miles have you ridden the moto since April this year, szabgab?

Very well may be. I have been told at a Hungarian BMW group, the noise coming from the final drive is normal and it sounds as it sounds, because the driveshaft is at a different angle and the wheel is not resting on the ground, blahblah.... So I left it to be. I have driven 2000 miles (2980 km's) since April
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »
Very well may be. I have been told . . .
Apparently then, this is more of the garden-variety mal ju-ju to which you have become accustomed and adapted well. Take her for a ride and let 'er rip; none of us live forever!
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline szabgab

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 01:32:13 PM »
Apparently then, this is more of the garden-variety mal ju-ju to which you have become accustomed and adapted well. Take her for a ride and let 'er rip; none of us live forever!

Laitch, the trouble is, I have spent all the pocket money and then some on this bike and I could spend countless amounts. It drives very well, I love it and sometimes I get crazy and clean the shit out of it or sort out various things, like the ongoing cold-start choke issue - fuel range, heat issue, that drove me absolutely bonkers during the summer, charging and earth troubles, fuel line and delivery things... Most of the times the search function of this forum or Clymers sorts me out so I bore you guys with probably 1/10th of the crap, I come across... So yes, bad juju is following me and I have fits of OCD to get everything perfect. After this I usually just get on with life and do some actual work or take the long way to a job and enjoy the rush of adrenaline driving up and down some hills in the countryside :)
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 09:48:32 PM »
I . . . take the long way to a job and enjoy the rush of adrenaline driving up and down some hills in the countryside :)
I'm 100% in agreement with that approach, szabgab. It's the best antidote for obsession.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: