Author Topic: WTB: K1100 center and side stand  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Tjsunny2

• Curious
WTB: K1100 center and side stand
« on: September 20, 2019, 09:25:28 AM »
Hi All,

I have a broken center stand and a broken side stand on my 1985 K100. I was hoping to buy a whole units form a K1100 because I heard they are a direct replacement and a better design.

Thanks
  • Indiana
  • 1985 K100 RS to Standard Conversion

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: WTB: K1100 center and side stand
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:12:15 AM »
Yes, that works and it's a nice upgrade -- I've done it myself. The early (hollow tube) center stands are prone to rust from the inside if they're missing the end caps, with unfortunate results.

You will lose the clunky, semi-useless automatic side stand retraction function.

Meantime, I have a question. If your side side stand is broken and your center stand is broken, what do you do with your bike when you're not riding it? Or are you just riding continuously, like Charlie on the MTA?
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Tjsunny2

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
Yes, that works and it's a nice upgrade -- I've done it myself. The early (hollow tube) center stands are prone to rust from the inside if they're missing the end caps, with unfortunate results.

You will lose the clunky, semi-useless automatic side stand retraction function.

Meantime, I have a question. If your side side stand is broken and your center stand is broken, what do you do with your bike when you're not riding it? Or are you just riding continuously, like Charlie on the MTA?

Ah I didnt realize that the 1100 stand lacked the auto retract feature. I love using that to wow my Honda CB riding friends.

Haha great question. The previous owner must have broken my stand and then cheese welded it back together a the wrong angle so my bike has a ghetto lean on the center stand. The side stand cant swing down because the center stand is in the way. Finally, the piece that your foot pushed down on the side stand snapped off. Its a real cluster.
  • Indiana
  • 1985 K100 RS to Standard Conversion

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 10:21:24 AM »
Or are you just riding continuously, like Charlie on the MTA?
+1
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Tags: