Author Topic: Kopr Kote On Drivetrain  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Past-my-Prime

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Kopr Kote On Drivetrain
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 07:51:20 AM »
Haha this has been a meandering thread!

Kopr Kote to failed drive splines (not quite failed, but nearly so) to well let's see what long ignored valves look like.

The next moan of bitterness will be when I have to take the back half of the drive train off to replace the clutch. "Easy" say the old hands at wrenching!

On the bright side, I've changed the engine oil regularly!
  • North Shore of Lake Superior
  • 1989 K75 RT

Offline Laitch

• Redline 7000
  • Forum Moderator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 07:58:50 AM »
On the bright side, I've changed the engine oil regularly!
If your oil didn't come from a tin can, be careful.

You won't be able to see your valves; they're on the other side of the head. You can visualize them though, and send them positive vibrations. Send up your shim calculations here for review, but you might not need any if you accept the idea that a clearance measuring in spec is a clearance that is in spec.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Past-my-Prime

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »
Oh man, this is going to be pricey:

Need to send in for refurbishing the complete rear end the cost is $759.20 to $1,374.93 (depending on how bad the bearings and gears are)

Drive Shaft: $336.76.
PLUS Postage!!

It looks, from reading various threads on this forum, that disassembly of the FD isn't THAT bad. (take it off, bake it at 350 until done, remove various pieces, take lots of photographs, etc).

Then you just send in the pinion which they can redo for $240 (plus driveshaft of course for a bit more: $374.18)

That can reduce labor costs at Hansen's by a fair amount but increases my labor possibly by more. And postage / insurance is less.

I have a lot of researching to do before I get to that point.

While it's gone would be the optimal time to replace my clutch.

I wonder how my wife would like me parking the Beemer in the living room for a few weeks? That's one way to get her to agree that we need a heated garage / workshop!
  • North Shore of Lake Superior
  • 1989 K75 RT

Offline natalena

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 06:58:23 AM »
Save your money, as this is a great winter project to bond with your brick...well, except the final drive rebuild. Everything else can be done with a shop manual and the expertise from here and some careful YouTube searches.
FWIW, rigged up a double Buddy heater to a 20lb tank for the garage, works splendid.
Good luck
  • East of Joshua Tree
  • 1987 K75s #0919
On Holy Quest seeking Techron equivalent for splines.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 07:24:41 AM »
greetings...

if i was in this kinda shape id call lior and ask him if he would rebuild my final drive complete...  if so id ask him how much and how long...

then id hire him to do the work and be done with that part of the whack...

https://liorsmotoride.godaddysites.com/

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: