Author Topic: Reliable Source for Touch up Paint?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Jnclem

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Reliable Source for Touch up Paint?
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:24:04 PM »
I have an 89 R100rs SE. As near as I can tell, the paint colors are Bermudablau Mica 225, and Pearlmutt Met 137. Since neither of those are available anymore from BMW, I ordered them from Color N Drive in Germany. The blue actually looks quite good. But when I ordered, I noticed that they categorize the Pearl White Metallic under beige, not under whites for 1989. That seemed odd, but it does have a slight yellowish cast to the white, so what do I know.

What I received is a yellow paint that doesn't even resemble what is on this bike. I may have seen this on a C-model sometime. Anyway, does anyone know for sure if that 137 Pearlmutt Met is the correct paint for this bike?

And, do you have any recommendations for where to get the proper pearl white touch up. I live in a very small town with one body shop that may or may not be able to color match. I understand that you probably won't get a perfect match to 30 year old paint. but this is 1/4 of the way around the color wheel from what I need.

I'll post a picture if I can figure out how.
  • Gunnison, CO.
  • 89 K100RS SE, '89 R100GS, 2006 F650gs Dakar

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Reliable Source for Touch up Paint?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 07:30:17 PM »
greetings...

if you looking for 100% pro...

you wanna look at holt design organisation...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 08:09:29 PM »
I've gotten Mystic red and Dakar Yellow from these guys and it was a perfect match.  The website can be a bit hard to navigate.

https://cyclecolor.com/order_paint_here_touch_up_b.htm#each

Not the cheapest, but they claim to have all the OEM formulas.

If you can find a paint store that supplies the collision and custom car guys you may find that they now have color readers that can accurately match any sample you bring in.  The local guys where I live now mix all my paint and they do a great job.  In fact ,they mixed a batch of pearl silver for me and it was perfect.  Be aware that the color is a three step paint job with base, mid and clear coat over the top.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:52:53 PM »
my original metallic red faded quickly to various shades of orange, making the factory touch up paint a joke.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Jnclem

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:29:10 AM »
my original metallic red faded quickly to various shades of orange, making the factory touch up paint a joke.

It's well known that reds fade faster than any other color. We have a purple sign that consistently becomes blue in the course of a few years in the sun. This bike has lived a fairly sheltered life, and while any paint will fade with time, this is not the result of fading.
  • Gunnison, CO.
  • 89 K100RS SE, '89 R100GS, 2006 F650gs Dakar

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 10:15:15 AM »
greetings...

yeeeehaaaaa...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: