Author Topic: Idle musings on replacement gauges  (Read 217 times)

Offline JPaganel

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Idle musings on replacement gauges
« on: August 17, 2019, 12:55:12 AM »
I had another go at fixing my speedometer. Deoxit on all connectors, cleaned what I could reach.  Results are underwhelming. I actually made it worse. Still no speed, now my clock is wonky. One of the backlight bulbs comes and goes.

Kinda thinking of maybe replacing the thing with a new gauge cluster.

I read the threads about the electronic needs, like BEP, or RBM's boards. Not worried about that.

Wondering what people use for dashboards. I'm not really feeling the wildly assymetric ones.  Oldschool looking round ones... Meh. Doesn't really do it for me either.   A digital one is a maybe.

What style might look decent on a naked K? What is a good mounting option? Which ones aren't annoying to look at? Green backlight, or one that could be changed to green, is a plus. I like OEM green lights.
  • Minnesnowta
  • 1986 K100RT, 1996 R1100RS

Offline JPaganel

Re: Idle musings on replacement gauges
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »
I think the Brick got wind of this thread. Speedometer kinda started working today...
  • Minnesnowta

Offline Laitch

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
Maybe the DeoxIT has dried and current is completing the cleaning task. Please define kinda working.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 72,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,296.msg53303.html#msg53303

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 06:10:17 PM »
DeoxIT needs time to work and requires a flush with another shot of the cleaner to be effective.

• Yorktown, Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Dark Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Martin

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
I had a random working GPI so I pulled the pod out and used Deoxit on the instrument plug. This worked for a while but the intermittent GPI indication returned but not as bad. So I pulled the pod again and used a pointy Exacto blade to carefully scrape the pins. I then used CRC cleaner lubricant (I'd run out of DeoxIT) to spray the contacts. So far the GPI has been working with no problems.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
Please define kinda working.

Well, today it worked perfect for about 8 miles. And then didn't work at all for 10.

So, it comes and goes at will.
  • Minnesnowta

Offline billday

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »
I've been through a few bread boxes in my bricking career.

In that time, thanks to the de-loopers and de-hoopers, used bread boxes have gotten a lot cheaper and more plentiful.

My advice is, get a new one off a forum buddy or Ebay. Make sure it's the newer type, with the two circular one-way vents in the back. Chances are it will work fine.

If the new one has one or the other thing that doesn't work, with a couple of bread boxes in your inventory you can swap various bits back and forth until you have one that does it all.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Tags: