Author Topic: Getting fork lock to work.  (Read 3805 times)

Offline ScooterNSticks

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Getting fork lock to work.
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
I found information on the site detailing how the fork lock works.  Seems pretty straightforward. 

Now after considerable tinkering, WD40 and more patience than I normally possess, I still can't get the forks to lock. 

Here's what does work:

1.  Insert key and turn CCW.

2.  Depress key and turn CW.

But no love after that.  No matter how much I fiddle no tumbler action happens.  I'll keep fiddling and lubricating but is there some other trick I've missed?
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Getting fork lock to work.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
Mine has never worked and it was a pain to even use on the K75s. When I replaced the steering head bearings I found that an attempt had been made more than likely under warranty to get it to work.  They had tapered the hole that the locking pin went into by grinding, it was a bit rough so I cleaned it up and got it to work. Once reassembled with the bearings and fluid block in place it refused to work. I have an alarmed disc lock that is probably a better deterrent.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 05:32:09 PM »
I'll keep fiddling and lubricating but is there some other trick I've missed?
The fork lock worked on my moto for thousands of miles, then it didn't, then it did when I tried a different copy of the key. Finally, I determined that it was too unreliable to be trusted and was grateful that it stopped working in the unlocked position. If my moto must have a flaw, I'm ok with that one and I'll leave it be.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 05:43:08 PM »
+1 Laitch it would be a lot of work probably with an angle grinder to release it. A lot of Brick owners are blissfully unaware that this item exists on their Bricks. I for one will not be attempting to get mine to work. There are lots of alternatives for security available.
Regards Martin.

Offline daveson

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
I'm guessing you havn't turned the key clockwise enough.  Turn the handlebar a little further to the right,  until you can feel the key able to move just that bit more clockwise. It will then be locked.

I spose like me you like using WD 40. On locks I prefer a puff of graphite powder. Consider spraying metho to clean it all out, wait for it to dry,  then graphite.

You want to be pretty nimble to use this lock on an RT like mine. I'm only able to do it because of my past Joe Cocker impersonations in my drinking days.

These locks are a good deterrent for preventing owners from using them.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline JPaganel

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 07:29:47 PM »
  • Minnesnowta
  • 1986 K100RT, 1996 R1100RS

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
I've never found them worth the effort and easily defeated.

If traveling and need to stay at a hotel I use an Abus alarmed disc lock and ensure I get a room on the ground floor as close to the office as possible and try to park next to the room door.  Nothing is fool-proof but it gives a better sense of security.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline rbm

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »
+1 on the disk lock.  It's a much more visible deterrent to an opportunistic motorcycle thief.  If the thief is  targeting your bike specifically, there's very little you can do.  But if the thief is looking for the most vulnerable motorcycle out of a bunch, the disk lock may entice them move on.

I make sure that I don't embarrass myself and ride off with the lock attached; I use a lanyard to the handlebars to remind me it is still attached.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »
The fork lock worked on my moto for thousands of miles, then it didn't, then it did when I tried a different copy of the key. Finally, I determined that it was too unreliable to be trusted and was grateful that it stopped working in the unlocked position. If my moto must have a flaw, I'm ok with that one and I'll leave it be.

After reading the comments I think I'll follow the same path you took and forget about it.  Was just curious to get it to work thinking I was just doing something wrong.

• Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 11:37:34 PM »
I'm guessing you havn't turned the key clockwise enough.  Turn the handlebar a little further to the right,  until you can feel the key able to move just that bit more clockwise. It will then be locked.

I spose like me you like using WD 40. On locks I prefer a puff of graphite powder. Consider spraying metho to clean it all out, wait for it to dry,  then graphite.

You want to be pretty nimble to use this lock on an RT like mine. I'm only able to do it because of my past Joe Cocker impersonations in my drinking days.

These locks are a good deterrent for preventing owners from using them.

I've given up on the lock.  WD40, a lock lubricant, still nothing.  If the lock was designed to deter use -- it's 100 percent successful.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Skunky

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 05:14:22 AM »
I've given up on the lock.  WD40, a lock lubricant, still nothing.  If the lock was designed to deter use -- it's 100 percent successful.

Also stops you from trying to ride off sand going round in circles.
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F

Offline Scott

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
I used lots of wd40 and key wiggling to get mine to work (i find wd40 a good solvent to clean old grease and crud), then some plastic safe contact cleaner to rinse out the wd40, then a bit of air to dry it out, and finally graphite powder to lubricate the mechanism.  Conclusion is that it's a PIA to use and would not deter a thief intent on taking my moto anyway.  Better theft deterrents exist for sure.  Do people really steal these bikes anyway?  When i peruse CL i see that the seller can't give them away, I still say they are undervalued and under appreciated.
  • SoCal
  • bmw R100r, bmw k75, hondapotamus G/W, XT 500 enduro

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
Bike thievery where I live is pretty much non-existent.  I don't remember ever hearing of one.  I've left my Vespa in town all day with the keys in it, (accidentally) helmet on the seat and a full tool kit under the seat and it was all still there when I returned.  So I'm not concerned with theft protection with the motorcycle.

I have insurance for coverage of theft and don't want to invest any brain space worried about people taking my stuff.  Just was hoping to discover how another thing worked on the motorcycle.  Or in this case doesn't work!
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline daveson

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
I feel that you're 99% of the way there, and you may even have locked it, as its only about 45 degrees of a turn to lock it. If the handlebar is already too far right, you may have to turn it left. I have five, mostly rough knuckle bricks, and I have found today that they all work.

I have also found today an easier way that doesn't require Joe Cocker hands. Remove the key ring and everything from the key and turn the plastic  part so its parallel to the face of the lock.

Yep, being undervalued makes them less liable to theft. Also, because we brick brothers and sisters of the world are such good people, the market for stolen bricks is close to zero. (I think when I got my brick I counted thirteen locks on it, with that many I should get better fuel economy by removing them)
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Soggz

• 2 wheels are better than 4,but 4 wheels,2 bikes...
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 01:55:09 AM »
Big chain, big padlock. You can lock your helmet and even jacket (chain through the arm), to the bike, then!
  • Down in Selwood Forest
  • 1986 K75C, 1982 Honda CX500EC Eurostreetbrat
One More Of These,One Less Of Those...
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline natalena

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »
Big chain, big padlock. You can lock your helmet and even jacket (chain through the arm), to the bike, then!

If I ride into the city, that's what I use, along with the disc lock. Used an old mountain bike inner tube to cover the chain so it doesn't rattle and scrape the rims.
* hint, I often cable the jacket/helmet to the bike ... put them on the seat, as I had a dog, cat, or person pee on mine, yeeeeeeew
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Martin

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 03:49:16 PM »
A mate used to warn me about the way I used to lock my helmet to my Brick. I used the OEM helmet lock in conjunction with a short piece of chain. Apparently it was not unknown in certain parts of Brisbane for yobbos to pee in your helmet. I had never heard of this in all off my years riding in Vic NSW and northern QLD. I don't know whether this was just a Brisbane thing, and another mate of his has confirmed this did occur.
Regards Martin.

Offline Scott

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »
A mate used to warn me about the way I used to lock my helmet to my Brick. I used the OEM helmet lock in conjunction with a short piece of chain. Apparently it was not unknown in certain parts of Brisbane for yobbos to pee in your helmet. I had never heard of this in all off my years riding in Vic NSW and northern QLD. I don't know whether this was just a Brisbane thing, and another mate of his has confirmed this did occur.
Regards Martin.
Everytime, i hung my helmet on the  R100R Mystic's stock helmet holder, a key operated hook the hangs the helmet open side up, I think to myself, I hope no wanker pees in my helmet.  No one has thankfully, but it has occured to me.  On my k bike, my helmet just fits in the left bag.  Out of sight, out of mind. chunk.
  • SoCal
  • bmw R100r, bmw k75, hondapotamus G/W, XT 500 enduro

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 05:00:23 PM »
Everytime, i hung my helmet on the  R100R Mystic's stock helmet holder, a key operated hook the hangs the helmet open side up, I think to myself, I hope no wanker pees in my helmet.  No one has thankfully, but it has occured to me.  On my k bike, my helmet just fits in the left bag.  Out of sight, out of mind. chunk.

I've had the same pee wonders.  In a college town on a Friday night when the alcohol is flowing I look at my helmet hanging there and figure someday...  But after fifteen years nothing.  Maybe we just have a sick imagination.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Tags: