Author Topic: Fork oil  (Read 200 times)

Offline zipster68

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Fork oil
« on: August 05, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »
Help,
Got a 1200 mile trip later this week and Amazon sent a liter of 15w Bel Ray fork oil instead of the 10 I ordered.  My fronts donít feel to be damping much, although they donít leak.  Use the 15?
Cheers,
Ray
  • Ferndale, Michigan
  • 1986 K100RS, 1977 naked Goldwing, 1975 Yamaha RD350 smoker, 1978 Vespa P200, 1980 Lambretta Jet 200

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Fork oil
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 07:15:37 PM »
greetings...

i used to use 15... you should be ok... the problem is usually its all gunk in there...

what i would do is ride for an hour or so to get the existing hawt... drain while hawt and install automatic transmission fluid... ride for an hour or so and drain while hawt... then add the 15wt per spec amount... button it up and go getts your yeeeehaaaaa on...

what i have done past few years... after reading the gryphoons love for marvel mystery oil... i have flushed my forks with 100% marvel mystery oil... drained hawt and added honda ss8-10 suspension fluid... which every honda dealer stocks...

here is the kicker... this year i left the marvel mystery oil in there after the hawt flush... caint tell the difference from oe spec 7.5 or honda 10 or belray 15... so im thinking drain flush every year and your dampening will be good even with crisco...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »
I'm telling you, I'm marveling at the mystery of how MMO works in forks.  Gonna have to add that to my end of year maintenance ritual.

Thanks Jo, for the heads up!
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too

Offline johnny

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 10:07:50 PM »
greetings...

this year ran out the hibernation gas... filled it up with no corn ethyl and a whole bottle of marvel mystery oil... it smoked like a hoe till the end of that tank...

also added a whole bottle of marvel mystery oil to the still honey like year old mobil 1 in the sump...

after busting out a 400 mile day i drained the sump... went honey to black f-ing black... i used to drain the sump and fill with cheep high detergent oil... bust out a couple hun and do full on mobil 1+ bosch filter... it never come out black like with the marvel...

i gotta to say the marvel comes outta the forks black every time too... so something is working in there...

mmo =

Petroleum Distillates (Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic) also known as mineral oil, 60-100%
Petroleum Distillates (Stoddard Solvent) also known as white spirit, 10-30%
Tricresyl phosphate, an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants 0.1-1.0%

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline BlitzenGruv

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • My first BMW. Been riding old British forever..
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 01:46:38 AM »
greetings...
what i would do is ride for an hour or so to get the existing hawt... drain while hawt and install automatic transmission fluid... ride for an hour or so and drain while hawt... then add the 15wt per spec amount... button it up and go getts your yeeeehaaaaa on...
All my British forks specify type F ATF. I've used Belray 10 in them and can't tell the difference. Never heard of using MMO in forks.
I don't know what's in my K forks. Probably try your advice if I ever change it.
  • Crossville, TN
  • '92 K100rs, 16v, '71 BSA Lightning, '72 Triumph Bonneville, '72 Triumph Trident
You say I'm schizophrenic, but I don't believe we are.

Offline Laitch

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 01:57:23 AM »
i gotta to say the marvel comes outta the forks black every time too... so something is working in there...
mmo =
Tricresyl phosphate, an antiwear and extreme pressure additive in lubricants 0.1-1.0%
It's the tricresyl phosphate removing contaminants from parts while polishing surfaces. Summary is here.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75T 72,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,296.msg53303.html#msg53303

Offline johnny

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »
greetings...

heah mang... im gonna use tricresyl phosphate on my splines... and wintergreen oil on my laundry...

j o

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 09:55:04 AM »
I have been running a quart of MMO in Moby Brick Too's  engine since Spring to loosen up the stuck oil control rings.  It seems to be working as oil consumption is down from a quart in 600-700 miles to a quart in over a thousand miles. 

What I find astonishing is that fuel consumption in my 16V K100RS is now running a bit more than 50 mpg to as high as 52 mpg.   My other bricks all get a fairly consistent 45 to 48 mpg.  At first I thought my trip meter was whack, but it is spot on with the other bikes.  I have also been running a bit of Techron in the fuel to clean up the injectors, but it never increased efficiency like I'm experiencing now when I put it in my other bikes.

As far as it's cleaning action, I recall reading that the secret ingredient is wintergreen oil that the inventor added because it was what women in the late 1800's used for getting oil stains out of their laundry.  I don't know if it really works, but it does make the stuff smell nice.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
I guess it is time to run some MMO in my forks!

I've been told that the weight assigned to fork oil is not a standard across brands and the 10W BMW may be different than the BelRay or PJ1 so it is best to find the weight/brand you like and stick with it.

And as j o stated, Crisco may work just as well and it does violate the "no-corn" mantra.
  • Yorktown, Virginia
  • '94 K75S - '93 K75S - '91 R100RT - '78 R100S

Tags: