Author Topic: There Goes the Extra Space in the Garage  (Read 15504 times)

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
There Goes the Extra Space in the Garage
« on: August 03, 2019, 09:46:43 PM »
Well, KPox has struck again.  Last Thursday I had to take a trip to Nashville to rescue a K100 Special Edition from being parted out. 

Bike is in pretty rough shape from being stored in not the best of environments.  Story is that the original owner brought it to a dealer for service work, and never came back to pick it up.  Sat at the dealer for 10-11 years when it was sold to the guy I got it from.  He bought it for some spare parts and left it outside for a couple years after which he sold the seat.

The bike is filthy, has a lot of sun damage to the paint and rubber bits.  The tank has a good coating of varnish and Vegemite inside it, and the pump is toast.  There are several missing parts, including the injectors, which judging from the tank probably weren't worth trying to save.  The bike is spattered with overspray of unknown chemical composition that, so far, can be removed with denatured alcohol without damaging the factory paint which can probably be saved.

The bike has 48,000 miles showing on the odometer.  The original owner replaced the bars with what looks like C model bars and an RT switch pad.  The body panels, outside of the dirt, goo, and overspray aren't in that bad shape.  The bike does not look like it's been crashed other than a bit of crazing above the mirror on the left side. 

The plan is to do a frame up restoration this winter.  I hope to leave a lot of the original paint, and get the electrical system and mechanicals up to par.  First job will be to get a set of injectors and get the engine running and electrical system sorted before stripping the bike for the project. 

The price was pretty good. and will allow a pretty good budget for a restoration.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Re: There Goes the Extra Space in the Garage
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 10:09:07 PM »
“A K pox on the Gryph house!!
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Martin

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »
Gryph there is no cure you are a hopeless addict. Go to the mirror and recite my name is TMG and I am an addict, there is no cure for my addiction. Repeat this three times, then go buy the missus a big bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates for being so understanding.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 12:18:56 AM »
OK. We know that isn't your garage because you wouldn't have a moto with chartreuse rims, and there's no room for your wife's vehicle.
Needed service.
Abandoned for 11 years.
Left outside for a couple of years.
Sun-baked rubber components.
Filth
Tank varnish.

SOLD! All is anicca.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline billday

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 07:34:31 AM »
When does the loop come off?
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 07:57:12 AM »
Way to go Gryph!  The world needs more crazy K people.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline ScooterNSticks

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 08:16:17 AM »
When I first looked at your pictures and description, as an innocent newbie to the K bike world, I wasn't sure whether to say a prayer, congratulate you or wonder if some sort of intervention was in order.  Judging from the previous comments I suppose I'll have to say, "Congratulations!"

My friend Paul brings similar rescue vehicles home to restore.  I've never understood why but had the sense he found satisfaction in the challenge.  Must be why he continues to work the NYT Sunday crossword puzzle.  Since I got my first K bike last month I can feel the desire to tinker gurgling somewhere inside.  Never happens with my Vespa.  While I hope I can become proficient with some of the routine maintenance I will have to follow along on your restoration to see if something happens.

Does K-pox require direct, intimate contact with a machine or is it communicable via the internet?  Never sure about viruses anymore.
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline stokester

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 08:21:35 AM »
Nice project!

Extra garage space?  Not for me, there is always room for one more motorcycle.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
Actually, the photos above were taken by the previous owner in his garage.  Here's a few more taken when i got her home.  The dirt doesn't really show in the photos.  The tank is probably in the worst shape of the painted parts.  It is covered with paint spatters and the some sort of heavy grease.  The inside has a lot of varnish and there is a lot of crap from the vibration damper all over the interior.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline caveman

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 05:11:40 AM »
TMG<

Good to see it find it's way to a good home, you will have it squared away soon.
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline natalena

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 09:07:36 AM »
What a great way to spend winter. Kudu's for starting a Lazarus project.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline daveson

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »
OMG, TMG, this one needs some TLC.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »
Another one saved. 
  • Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:15 AM »
Update, August 7, 2019: 

I hate having dirty parts laying around, so over the weekend I took some of the panels to the laundry tubs with my trusty bottle of S-100 cleaner.  Spray, rub with a sponge, rinse, repeat.  I am surprised at how good the paint looks.  There are a few minor dings, but nothing that really needs repair.  Mostly just signs of use.

* DSCN3573.JPG (34.2 kB . 662x576 - viewed 795 times)
* DSCN3574.JPG (29.96 kB . 668x576 - viewed 762 times)

The spatter on the tank really bothered me along with the mess inside.  I decided to to do a soak with Dawn dish detergent of the interior to prep for Martin's vinegar soak.  With the tank sitting in the laundry tub full of soapy water over night the spatter came off with a gentle rub.

* DSCN3572.JPG (33.63 kB . 768x549 - viewed 796 times)

Cleaning the outside of the tank revealed that there is a minor dent in the side, no big deal, and that side of the tank has been repainted.  Not a bad job, but whoever did it did not use the pearl silver the rest of the bike is painted with, but used what looks like refrigerator white.  Fortunately, I have enough paint left over from another bike to repaint that side of the tank.

Most of the interior's varnish pretty much came off with a Scotchbrite pad after soaking overnight with the Dawn detergent.  There is still a lot of black goo from the damper around the inside and especially caked up on the fuel level sender.  I hope I can clean it off without damaging the windings.

Yesterday evening it was really slow at work because of 4 hours of steady rain(I work as a launch skipper at a Yacht club) so I took the opportunity to make a key for the bike.  The previous owner had misplaced the original key, but had several blanks that he gave me with the bike.  I removed the lock cylinder from the fuel tank cap, and with a couple of files and an hour or so of fiddling around got the key cut so it works in all the bike's locks.  Not the prettiest looking key, but it works.

* DSCN3565.JPG (47.62 kB . 634x576 - viewed 768 times)

With the ability to turn on the ignition, I connected my jump box to the battery wires and set the clock in the instrument cluster.  Holding my breath and watching closely for smoke, I turned the key and to my amazement the headlight and tail light came on!  The gear shift indicator works and the idiot lights work in the cluster( a few of the illuminating bulbs are out).  Brake light works, high and low beams, and the parking lights. Turn signals, horn and hazard flashers don't work, but looking at the relay box it appears some relays and the bulb monitor unit may be missing.  I hit the starter button briefly, and the engine turns over!  The harness looks to be in pretty good shape, better than I've seen on a previous bike, so I don't think it will need much to work properly.

* DSCN3568.JPG (53.67 kB . 768x576 - viewed 799 times)
* DSCN3567.JPG (44.1 kB . 768x576 - viewed 772 times)
* DSCN3569.JPG (44.46 kB . 636x576 - viewed 757 times)

Popped the cover on the front brake master cylinder and the fluid looks like maple syrup.  I'm gonna do a flush and bleed before I strip the bike down to get that crap out of the parts.

* DSCN3570.JPG (47.8 kB . 768x576 - viewed 830 times)

Parts are on order to get the engine running before the tear down, I want to know if there are any engine issues before I take the frame off.  New injectors, pump, filter and lines.  Cleaning tank and rail right now and hope to have them clean by next week.

All in all, the bike looks to be in better shape than I thought.  Should come back to service for under $1200 total if there are no engine surprises.

• '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 12:21:14 AM »
Great find! That's cleaning up nice. IMO the SE paint scheme is one of the nicest they made
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
Great find! That's cleaning up nice. IMO the SE paint scheme is one of the nicest they made

I've wanted one ever since I saw them.  For the price I couldn't pass this one up. 

The clean up is coming along well.  Mainly, I'm just trying to get the fuel tank and the running components working right now so I can fire it up and be sure all the mechanical running gear doesn't need any work.  Plan is for it to be a winter project, but I'm having a hard time keeping my hands off it.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline billday

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 09:18:47 AM »
Oh how I'd love to have the time for a project like that! Someday I hope!
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline SpecialK

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 07:14:22 PM »

The bike is filthy, has a lot of sun damage to the paint and rubber bits.  The tank has a good coating of varnish and Vegemite inside it, and the pump is toast.  There are several missing parts, including the injectors, which judging from the tank probably weren't worth trying to save.  The bike is spattered with overspray of unknown chemical composition that, so far, can be removed with denatured alcohol without damaging the factory paint which can probably be saved.

The plan is to do a frame up restoration this winter.  I hope to leave a lot of the original paint, and get the electrical system and mechanicals up to par.  First job will be to get a set of injectors and get the engine running and electrical system sorted before stripping the bike for the project. 

The price was pretty good. and will allow a pretty good budget for a restoration.

I admire your ambition and willingness to take on such an involved project. The one I found that I have been posting about was not in need of that kind of attention and it has been taking up a lot of my time!
Good luck with it. I'm sure you will be posting about the project as it progresses.

• Wappingers Falls, New York
  • 1987 K100RS
"The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him". Proverbs 18:17

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 10:49:43 PM »
Working on and off in spurts the past week or so. 

Started working on the tank interior.  First stage was a good rinse with Dawn dish detergent and hot water which removed a bunch of loose stuff.  This was followed by a four day soak with two gallons of white vinegar and a scrub with a red Scotchbrite pad before dumping the vinegar.  This was followed by an overnite soak and Scotchbrite scrub with Goo Gone to get more of the melted vibration damper out.  What remained came out pretty well with paper towels and Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol.  Looks pretty good to me now.

Unfortunately, the damper goo seemed to have a real affinity for the fuel level sender, and in the course of cleaning it I destroyed the element and the wipers.  Fortunately, the wiring for the fuel pump is still good, so I can run the bike using the tripmeter to judge when I need fuel until I can find a reasonably priced replacement.

The battery arrived and I wasted no time connecting it to troubleshoot the undefined electrical problems the previous owner said it had.  Turn signals and horns didn't work.  Cleaning the contacts on the bulb monitor and the combination switch connectors cured that problem.  The horns still didn't work, and I found a dead horn relay.  Replacing it didn't help, so I pulled the horns and found there was no continuity between the terminals on one of them.  Turning the adjusting screw with 12V applied got the first horn working.  The second one came to life with a gentle tap.  About 15 seconds of continuous operation with a rag stuck in the throats indicates that they are in good working order again. 

While I was at it, I pulled the fan relay and jumpered the terminals for the relay contacts on the socket.   The fan works, which didn't really surprise me since the P.O. mentioned that it had been replaced at some point.  To my great pleasure the electrical system all works now.

Since the bike was so dirty, I thought it would be a good idea to clean the ignition switch while I had things apart.  Turned out to be a good idea as there was a bunch of waxy looking crap all over the place around the contacts.

Next was to bleed the brakes to clear out the brown D.O.T. 4 that was in the system.  Pretty straightforward, and now the brakes have clean fluid and actually feel better than on any of my other bikes, even the rear master cylinder has a firm feel!!!

With all those jobs done, I was waiting for parts from MaxBMW so I could continue.  I was shocked to learn that BMW has the lowest price I could find anywhere for submersible fuel line.  I took the opportunity to remove some more of the body parts, specifically the rear tail cowl.  I was expecting to find the rear loop to be rusty like every other brick I've owned, but surprisingly, it was in perfect condition without a single spot of rust or paint damage.  I'm learning that this bike is in much better shape than I thought.

While waiting for parts I decided to check valve clearances, compression, and change the oil and filter.  When I drained the oil I found it was brand new and clean, along with a clean oil filter.  Must have been serviced at the dealer before it's long hibernation.

Valves were all in spec, but two of the exhaust and one intake were at the tight end of the spec so I changed the shims to get them to match the others.  All valve clearances are now at the top of the spec. 

Compression was good on cylinders 3 and 4, but really low on the other two.  A shot of oil in those and they are all withing 10 psi of each other and reading nice and high.

Installed new NGK D7EA plugs and cleaned the plug wires and sockets followed by a bit of dielectric grease to make them easier to remove.  The plugs I removed were brand new Bosch, made in Germany, not India, so I guess they were installed by the dealer those many years ago.  I put them in my spares stash.

The crank breather Z-tube looked good except for some minor external cracking.  I had a spare, so I replaced it.

I installed the injectors, and with their ports in the head filled I was able to do a good wash of the bike.  Cleaning the bike with S-100 removed a LOT of dirt, leaves, and who knows what.  What remained was in stunningly good shape.  This bike doesn't need hardly any cosmetic work on the frame beyond a bit of compound on the chalky paint, and even that isn't really critical.  The engine is in pretty good cosmetic shape as well.  I am seriously reconsidering the frame up rebuild.

I did find some chafed wires in the taillight wiring harness, but I had a spare and replaced it.  The wiring is now in perfect shape, as far as I can see.  Even the connectors look clean, but I'm still shooting them all with Deoxit and coating them with a film of dielectric grease and putting Vaseline on the connector shells to make them easier to separate

The parts for the tank and fuel lines arrived on Thursday.  An hour or so of putting things together in the tank and it was ready to see if the engine was going to start.  Four or five quick stabs at the starter to prime the system and holding my breath I hit the starter and after a second or so of cranking the engine coughed and settled into a rough idle, spewing large clouds of oil smoke from the oil I injected when I did the compression test.

After a couple 15 minute sessions of idling the smoke cleared enough to do a throttle body balance.  I found and replaced two of the vacuum caps that had bad cracks in them.  The engine now idles fairly smoothly, but two of the adjusting screws are erratic, so I shot some carb cleaner in their holes in the throttle bodies.  It helped, but they could still be better.  Will be addressing this again when I get a new can of carb cleaner.

With the fairing removed I did a good cleaning with S-100 and replaced the broken headlight with a spare I had.  Outside of a few stone chips and some crazing around a mirror mount the paint is in pretty good shape.  Wow!  The more I work on this bike the more it looks like it doesn't need much work.

With the engine running it was time to check the ABS system.  Here's where I have found a bit of a mysterious problem.  The ABS light doesn't go out when it should, even though there are no faults when I check for them.  I've done several attempts to clear/reset the system, but the flashing continues and no faults are indicated.  Puzzling...

Stay tuned.  Photos are still in the camera, I'll be posting them tomorrow.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline SpecialK

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 07:44:44 AM »
Sounds like you put some serious time and effort into addressing many of the areas of crucial importance. Will look forward to pictures! You have much more experience than I at this K bike stuff but your description of what you addressed and the start up of the bike were very similar to what I experienced. I guess they are all very similar in the restoration process with some not needing much and others being basket cases.
As far as my bike goes, I have 0000 steel wooled the interior of the rear brake cylinder and it came out looking very smooth. The old plunger went in smooth so I am going to get the rebuild kit. while that was off I took the rear caliper off and disassemble. The pistons are moving in and out so I will leave it alone for now. Since the caliper is off I am half way to checking the splines so will do that. What type of spline lube is recommended?
Thanks.
  • 1987 K100RS
"The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him". Proverbs 18:17

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline SpecialK

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 02:00:45 PM »
Hey Gryph, haven't heard about your project or seen any replies from you in a couple of weeks.
How is it going?
  • 1987 K100RS

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »
As of last weekend, all the mechanical and electrical stuff has been sorted.  Sorry about the lack of photos, but when I'm working I don't remember to grab the camera often enough, and when I do, I'm reluctant because my hands are too greasy.

Anyway, I've changed the tires and mounted the wheels, painted the forks and added boots, fixed some minor electrical issues with the lights, replaced the gooey fuel pump damper, put LED's in the cluster, wired a fan switch, cleaned and repotted the gear position switch, cleaned the clutch, lubed all the splines and replaced the clutch o-ring, cleaned and regreased the steering head, installed a "new" rear shock, and painted the handlebars, battery tray and seat hinges.

Mostly, I've just been cleaning and detailing stuff, the bike is in much better shape than I thought when I bought it. The bike is pretty much assembled and ready to run, it just needs some of the body parts painted.  The next couple weeks will be spent prepping and repairing the paint.  Should be ready for the road by the end of September
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 08:41:50 PM »
As of last weekend, all the mechanical and electrical stuff has been sorted.  Sorry about the lack of photos, but when I'm working I don't remember to grab the camera often enough, and when I do, I'm reluctant because my hands are too greasy.

Anyway, I've changed the tires and mounted the wheels, painted the forks and added boots, fixed some minor electrical issues with the lights, replaced the gooey fuel pump damper, put LED's in the cluster, wired a fan switch, cleaned and repotted the gear position switch, cleaned the clutch, lubed all the splines and replaced the clutch o-ring, cleaned and regreased the steering head, installed a "new" rear shock, and painted the handlebars, battery tray and seat hinges.

Mostly, I've just been cleaning and detailing stuff, the bike is in much better shape than I thought when I bought it. The bike is pretty much assembled and ready to run, it just needs some of the body parts painted.  The next couple weeks will be spent prepping and repairing the paint.  Should be ready for the road by the end of September

Your progress is impressive.  I hope I can someday learn to do just a fraction of what you can do. 
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »
Past week or so I've been doing paint prep.  Yesterday I shot the Bermuda Blue, and today I couldn't put it off any longer so I shot the three part Pearlmutt. 

Am holding my breath that I didn't feck up the gold effect too much.  Last thing left is pinstriping the front mudguard before I buff them out.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Tags: