Author Topic: Identifying handlebar style on K75  (Read 3129 times)

Offline ScooterNSticks

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Identifying handlebar style on K75
« on: August 01, 2019, 07:25:13 AM »
I'm planning to replace the clutch cable and the brake lines on my 1992 K75 with Spiegler lines.  On the Beemerboneyard site it lists a clutch cable for low rise and high rise bars.  Can I assume the standard K75 has high rise bars?  The rising position is upright and the bars seem swept back a bit.

And regarding the Spiegler brake lines -- their website shows the lines for this bike as "Original/ABS". Can I assume that means the lines will work on any version of the K75?

Thanks for any insight you can provide on what must be the most basic of understanding of this motorcycle.  I'm so without knowledge at this point in time.
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: Identifying handlebar style on K75
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 07:42:46 AM »
greetings..

assume nothing if you wanna avoid unecessary whack..

go to the fische and getts the part numbers of the oe parts... match those up to what you gotts on the moto...

cables with have lengenth listed on the fiche...

brake lines you just gonna have to measure and getts a count... abs will have more lines than nonabs...

handlebars have the number stamped in there...

also poast up photos of all this in this thread cause we dont know what you gotts... oe or queered-out... that way we donts gotts to look at previous threads to see your moto...

when refering to other sites such as speigler and bonnerbeamyard... poast up the links so we can see what you see...

poasting moto photos and screenshots of fisches and manuals are your friends here... just like that reynolds 240... nobody would have known whats you gotts without proper photos...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=0571-USA-01-1992-K569-BMW-K_75_85_0562%2C0571_

now go getts you some foggy yeeehaaa...

j o

• :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 07:48:40 AM »
It's foggy outside.  I'm going for a ride first before I get into this.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Online Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 08:41:57 AM »
As johnny indicates, nothing should be assumed—especially when it comes to old motos—although assumption seems to be the first line of reasoning for novices. Parts are swapped regularly among these motos when needed for convenience, price or style. Parts fiches like MaxBMW's have photos with measurements that show the differences among these handlebars cables and brake lines.

When it comes to the claims of aftermarket vendors regarding fit, query should be made to them to determine what they're measuring—hose length only or hose length including fittings then you should measure from the same points to confirm fitment of their parts.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »
As johnny indicates, nothing should be assumed—especially when it comes to old motos—although assumption seems to be the first line of reasoning for novices. Parts are swapped regularly among these motos when needed for convenience, price or style. Parts fiches like MaxBMW's have photos with measurements that show the differences among these handlebars cables and brake lines.

When it comes to the claims of aftermarket vendors regarding fit, query should be made to them to determine what they're measuring—hose length only or hose length including fittings then you should measure from the same points to confirm fitment of their parts.

Thanks for the heads up on the fiche for classic BMWs at MaxBMWs.  Assumptions -- so begins my lessons for the day.

I measured the length of the front brake line on my K75 and it's 940mm in length tip to tip.  Investigating the fiche at MaxBMWs shows that part to be 810mm in length.  Just got off the phone with Spiegler and their stock from line for a '92 K75 is 910mm.  So the bars on my bike are obviously higher and/or swept back a bit. The Spiegler rep concurred.  So much for assumptions.

Spiegler can make the custom length at no additional cost.  Now I have to check the length of the rear line and then get out my credit card.

Here's a couple of pictures.  The first indicating why I didn't want to get into this right away.  And the second showing my handlebars.  Perhaps someone can illuminate me on whether they are different than stock.  Whatever they are, they are comfortable for me and keep me in a nice, sitting on a toilet, position. 
  • Boalsburg, PA
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 11:47:50 AM »
It appears to be a typical RT bar. What is meant by tip-to-tip? On the front brake, is that from where the hose fitting couples to the brake perch to where the fitting on the hose's opposite end couples with the caliper, or the hose length between the fittings?
From the parts fiche at Max:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 12:13:00 PM »
It appears to be a typical RT bar. What is meant by tip-to-tip? On the front brake, is that from where the hose fitting couples to the brake perch to where the fitting on the hose's opposite end couples with the caliper, or the hose length between the fittings?
From the parts fiche at Max:

Those are the bars on my K75.  Tip-to-tip was the term the SpieglerUSA person used to describe the length of their brake line -- from the tip of the fittings.  Total length of fittings and hose.

The length of my rear brake line matches the stock length of the Spiegler rear line.  My front line is an inch longer than their stock line.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 01:27:19 PM »
One more question regarding the handlebars.  MaxBMWs indicates two kinds of bars when listing clutch cables.  One for high bars, and one for low/medium bars. 

Are the low/medium bars what are found on the K75S?  And the standard RT style bars considered high?  I can't find any information differentiating them.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Online Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
And the standard RT style bars considered high?  I can't find any information differentiating them.
Well, you'll see information in the Max fiche under the K75 category's  Steering section. In it you will find photos and dimensions of both the RT bar and the C-bar. The RT is the Most High. The C is the medium. The K75S has the low bar. There isn't a photo of it in the fiche, but if you look at enough images of K75S motos on the Web, a pattern of recognition should emerge for you.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 03:57:38 AM »
Well, you'll see information in the Max fiche under the K75 category's  Steering section. In it you will find photos and dimensions of both the RT bar and the C-bar. The RT is the Most High. The C is the medium. The K75S has the low bar. There isn't a photo of it in the fiche, but if you look at enough images of K75S motos on the Web, a pattern of recognition should emerge for you.

Thanks Laitch for the help with this.  It's clear I have the RT bars -- dimensions are a match.

Ordered the front and back brake lines from Spiegler and they're already on a UPS truck.  Even the custom length version.  They told me they would fabricate it immediately.  Nice service from them.

Now on to a new clutch cable. 
  • Boalsburg, PA