Author Topic: K75 sidecase modifications  (Read 14796 times)

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
Re: K75 sidecase modifications
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »
If you decide to reinstall the Reynolds, I see where my mount is different. Instead of drilling a hole in the Reynolds to use a longer mounting bolt, I zip-tied the Z-rack. Testing was done with 27 pounds of dive weights, driving along backroads and rough graded gravel community parks. No issues, and it adds to the excitement and spirit of adventure vs. highway junk show, while toodling along on the Brick with the bicycle on the rack.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C, '21 ARGO 8x8, '24 KLR650
Texas catheters ROCK!

Offline billday

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »
I don't understand why your Z thingie doesn't line up with your Reynolds rack. After work I have to go look at my setup and ponder how this could be.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline D.Bachtel

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2019, 07:11:08 PM »
[quote
I"ll keep the Reynolds rack until I'm sure I won't use it and then probably put it on eBay.
[/quote]

I'm in the market for a 240 Reynolds. It will fit my bike nicely. With the Corbin "Rumble" set there's no clearance for an Iconic.

Allow me to have the right of first refusal, unless it's already spoken for....

D.Bachtel
Nipomo, California
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline natalena

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »
I don't understand why your Z thingie doesn't line up with your Reynolds rack. After work I have to go look at my setup and ponder how this could be.
Could you let me know the findings? I tried using a carriage bolt, and sliding the Z-rack into the "U" bracket space behind the 240 rack's side, but it didn't leave space to wiggle into the bricks frame mount. I half considered just making a short drop shackle to bolt to the 240 and then bolt onto the Z, but it looked wonky in prefab.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C, '21 ARGO 8x8, '24 KLR650
Texas catheters ROCK!

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »
[quote
I"ll keep the Reynolds rack until I'm sure I won't use it and then probably put it on eBay.

I'm in the market for a 240 Reynolds. It will fit my bike nicely. With the Corbin "Rumble" set there's no clearance for an Iconic.

Allow me to have the right of first refusal, unless it's already spoken for....

D.Bachtel
Nipomo, California

Will do.  Right now it's sitting in the garage waiting until I decide for sure I don't need or want it.  I'll drop you a note if I decide to make it go away.

What kind of rack is on the back of your  bike?  Looks more like something of interest to me.
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline D.Bachtel

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »
Good deal on that. Just thinking the 240 would be the way to go for an 18" tent and bedroll.
my rear rack is just the stock rack from BMW. The Iconic mounts to it with an adapter plate. The entire assembly then relies on the rear cowl for support. The Reynolds is a frame mount and could carry a more weight with less flex.

My bike came disassembled with busted up plastic front and rear.
  • Nipomo
  • BSA, Zundapp, Husqvarna, Greeves, Triumph...and a 1987 K75C

Offline sammysnail

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2019, 08:14:56 AM »
I see from reading this and other threads that some riders have suffered from detaching luggage. The Mighty Gryphon seems to have been particularly unfortunate with his city cases.

When I bought my K100RS I was given just one big bag with it. The other one was lost - you may care to speculate how.  Later on a neighbour gave me a pair of them. They all had serious gravel rash, and in places that should have been protected by the motorcycle. When I finally obtained a pair of city cases I wasn't impressed with the security of the wonky latch that goes through the rectangular hole in the lower part of the rack, so I made something to ensure that it didn't come open.

I cut a small piece of wood about 1" square and the same depth as the width of the rack. This piece of wood filled up the square hole in the rack that was left when the bag was secured in place. The latch could not then open. I drilled a hole in the centre of the wooden square. Then I made a u-shaped saddle that sat over the rack and either side of the piece of wood. A bolt secured the saddle in place. The bolt and the wooden block have to be removed  in order to remove the bag, but mine are only ever removed to work on the motorcycle.

• 1985 K100RS Second owner. Triumph. Norton, Ducati, Montesa, Honda, Honda, etc.
Bought an R75/5 new. Cruising speed 100 mph. Those were the days. Now my K100RS will go faster, and I ride it slower (well, mostly).

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2019, 08:23:20 AM »
When I finally obtained a pair of city cases I wasn't impressed with the security of the wonky latch that goes through the rectangular hole in the lower part of the rack, so I made something to ensure that it didn't come open. . . .
This is one of those cases where photos will be of help, sammy. Use the attachment and other options feature below the Reply box. You won't be able to see the images in Preview but they will be seen when posted.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline sammysnail

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »
Good point Laitch, here goes ......

* 5.JPG (43.93 kB . 768x576 - viewed 485 times)
Is this attachment "invalid"?
File size is 2.4mb Too large?
jpg format

(test post)
  • 1985 K100RS Second owner. Triumph. Norton, Ducati, Montesa, Honda, Honda, etc.
Bought an R75/5 new. Cruising speed 100 mph. Those were the days. Now my K100RS will go faster, and I ride it slower (well, mostly).

Offline sammysnail

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »
Good point Laitch, here goes ...... (again)

These are the components. Note the nylock nut. In 1971 I took my new R75 for a ride on a dirt road and it shook out all the small bolts that held the front mudguard on. I went and bought a handful of stainless bolts and nylock nuts, and I've been a great fan of the nuts ever since.

The square hole.

The wooden block is a neat fit and needs to be inserted from the back.

The stainless strap fits over both the plastic frame and the wooden block, preventing the block from sliding out of the hole.

The bolt in place - unobtrusive and secure.

Offline sammysnail

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2019, 10:40:29 PM »
Here's another.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2019, 11:21:41 PM »
Thanks for the photos. Those two photos get the idea across and your idea is elegant in its simplicity and convenience for detachment.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2019, 12:21:49 AM »
Nice!  Looks like a winter project for me.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Soggz

• 2 wheels are better than 4,but 4 wheels,2 bikes...
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2019, 02:39:46 AM »
Good job.
  • Down in Selwood Forest
  • 1986 K75C, 1982 Honda CX500EC Eurostreetbrat
One More Of These,One Less Of Those...

Tags: