Author Topic: K75 sidecase modifications  (Read 14658 times)

Offline ScooterNSticks

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: K75 sidecase modifications
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »
greetings...

oe baggs are hard to slide on for the novice bricker... and the 240 reynolds rack can complicate that...

with z bar lock open you have to hold the bottom of the bagg with both hands... start as far forward as possible... commence to twerking until it slides in there then slide it back and close the z bar lock...

if it wont go you may need to remove the reynolds rack and reinstall it all square and the like... then your baggs oughtta go on as long as you use the 2 hands twerk method...

if it was my moto i would sell that reynolds rack and put the iconic 22 on there...

j o

Two hands twerk -- more Teutonic lingo and dance to learn.  I'm old and tired now so it will have to wait until tomorrow.  If I decide to part with the Reynolds rack, are there sources for an Iconic 22 or do I need to start trolling eBay and the Beemer Boneyard?

Thanks for the help.  I do appreciate it. 
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 09:10:53 PM »
+1 on the 22Lt one of the best things I fitted. However another Bricker had the same problem with fitting the 240 rack to a 75. He added spacers to the mounts to give clearance. It is possible to make it fit by either adding spacers or a bit of cutting, hammering, welding, bending and a bit of paint. Start with a realign and adding spacers.
Regards Martin.

When do I get to ride???   :tongue:
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
If you want to ride either ride it without tragkorbs or remove the rack until you suss it out. Even if you are really slow adding spacers shouldn't take up much of your time.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2019, 10:12:01 PM »
I'll get the wrenches out tomorrow and see if a few spacers will do the trick.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »
Once I started looking at the rear rack and a top case option I decided I don't like the looks of a top case on the K75.  So I removed the Reynolds rack and mounted the BMW side cases.

Most of the time I probably will be riding without them and just use the small tail bag on the seat.

Thanks for everyone to help me much through this tiny mechanical event.  Glad I didn't grind off part of the cases!

I"ll keep the Reynolds rack until I'm sure I won't use it and then probably put it on eBay.

• Boalsburg, PA
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline K1300S

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2019, 02:51:14 PM »
i have never been a fan of the "iconic 22"  the trunk ruins the lines of the bike.

tailbag on seat good option.  better option is to watch for a set of "city cases" to pop up for sale.  they are half the thickness of the big side cases.  perfect for daily running around.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2019, 03:42:19 PM »
i have never been a fan of the "iconic 22"  the trunk ruins the lines of the bike.
I like it. Riding with it reminds me of harrowing between rows on my IH tractor at the tree farm, with the tool box bolted on behind its seat rattling away. Those were the days—smooth-billed anis, swallowtail kites, thunderheads building over the Everglades, birdshot raining down from the sky during dove season. :cool:

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2019, 04:42:46 PM »
The 29Lt and 33Lt top boxes I used to run totally destroyed the handling of my 75 on windy days. The previous much smaller top box was fine.
Regards Martin.

* Top Box 1.jpg_thumb.png (503.42 kB . 768x576 - viewed 490 times)
* Top Box 3.jpg_thumb.png (452.91 kB . 768x576 - viewed 514 times)

Offline daveson

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
Yep the wide ones are as big as elephant ears, but they're useful, so I use them. Also I think of them as crash bars. I have never used my city cases cause they're white,  that would stand out even more than my elephant ears.

Sometimes, when I'm feeling rebellious, I take my elephant ears off.

Sometimes I think of sticking some sponge or door stop type stuff on to reduce the rattle. Don't know if that would help.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
So many options for the K75. 

Almost all my riding is day trips in the 50 to 450 mile range.  I've only done a few overnight rides where I might need the sidecases.  There may be times when I need them but mostly all I haul along is a water bottle, small point and shoot camera, rain suit and a credit card.  The little tail bag is sufficient for that.

The bike looks clean and simple without the cases.  I took them off a little while ago and stuck them in a corner.  They'll fall into use another day.

The first big service to renew and refresh everything and do the final drive and clutch spline lubes is two weeks off.  I don't want to muck up anything before then so any riding of the K75 will be local.  Until it's ready I'll continue to explore with the Vespa.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2019, 08:07:52 PM »
I have all the luggage options for my K75RT, city cases, big side cases, and the iconic 22L.  Mostly I use the iconic 22L.  I do like the city cases, but I've lost two of them now, and I'm a bit gun shy about losing more.  The big side cases and iconic 22L along with a tank bag are what I pack when I'm out chasing the horizon for a couple weeks.  For a single person, they are more than adequate as long as you aren't camping.  For that I used to carry my camping gear in a duffel bag lashed to the pillion seat.   
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »
I can get my tent, mattress, sleeping bag, hootchee, cooking gear and stove in one tragkorb.
Regards Martin.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »
The first big service to renew and refresh everything and do the final drive and clutch spline lubes is two weeks off.  I don't want to muck up anything before then so any riding of the K75 will be local. 
While you use it only for local travel, keep up the revs and use third and fourth mostly. A visit to the 5000rprm range would be invigorating. The easiest way to muck it up is by not riding it enough to warm it up.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2019, 09:20:10 PM »
While you use it only for local travel, keep up the revs and use third and fourth mostly. A visit to the 5000rprm range would be invigorating. The easiest way to muck it up is by not riding it enough to warm it up.

I keep the revs up and ride it long enough to warm up.  I worry that the riding is damaging the splines.  Poured through the service records and log that the owners kept.  Last final drive spine lube was 11 years ago.  From that time about 3K additional miles were put on it before it was parked.

As far as I can tell the clutch/trans splines have never been serviced. 

If I take the bike for some 25 to 35 mile jaunts through the countryside -- secondary or seldom traveled rural roads -- am I damaging things?  I have to wait two more weeks before I drop the bike off with the dealer and I'm itching to ride.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
If I take the bike for some 25 to 35 mile jaunts through the countryside -- secondary or seldom traveled rural roads -- am I damaging things?
The only way to keep from actively damaging a moto is to park it then disconnect the battery. At that moment the passive damage begins.  :laughing4-giggles:

As long as you  aren't trying to wheelie, stoppie, wheel-hop, and flog her through the gears precipitously, I think you'll be ok. The outcome depends mostly on accumulated karmic debt and luck.

Can't leave her alone, can you? :nono2: :evil:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2019, 11:53:22 PM »
The only way to keep from actively damaging a moto is to park it then disconnect the battery. At that moment the passive damage begins.  :laughing4-giggles:

As long as you  aren't trying to wheelie, stoppie, wheel-hop, and flog her through the gears precipitously, I think you'll be ok. The outcome depends mostly on accumulated karmic debt and luck.

Can't leave her alone, can you? :nono2: :evil:

No, I can't seem to get her out of my mind or leave her alone.  And I'm a docile rider.  Probably why I was content to ride the Vespa for so many years.  I was riding a Ducati Hypermotard for awhile and was complaining how crappy it was at 25 mph.

I'm taking the bike out for a ride in the morning and hope karma is on my side.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2019, 12:18:14 AM »
And I'm a docile rider.  Probably why I was content to ride the Vespa for so many years.
A K75 doesn't need an aggressive rider. It needs a rider that understands higher revs are its comfort zones—35mph or 70mph. They aren't a sign of impending doom. It took me a while to adjust to that because it is so smooth and quiet at low revs. You'll find the zone.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2019, 08:05:01 AM »
I am not by any stretch of the imagination an aggressive rider although I do like to cover ground briskly. 

When I first got my K75 I was always looking for 6th gear and bemoaning the final drive ratio.  With a few years under my belt I now find 4th to be perfect for non-interstate riding.  The engine runs sweetly at 4-5000 rpm, and throttle response is a lot crisper.  Recently, I have found myself running in 4th on the expressway at 75mph. 

These engine were designed to rev, and they love it.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2019, 09:06:05 AM »
I have the same "240" rack on my K75, it is quite fiddly at times to get the sidecase on, and at other times it just falls into place. Haven't figured out the exact alignment approach, and just wiggle it a lot until it drops on the Z rail. I wouldn't cut/grind anything that is designed as load bearing by the uber master's at BMW, those mount fingers serve a purpose.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 11:15:17 AM »
I am not by any stretch of the imagination an aggressive rider although I do like to cover ground briskly. 

When I first got my K75 I was always looking for 6th gear and bemoaning the final drive ratio.  With a few years under my belt I now find 4th to be perfect for non-interstate riding.  The engine runs sweetly at 4-5000 rpm, and throttle response is a lot crisper.  Recently, I have found myself running in 4th on the expressway at 75mph. 

These engine were designed to rev, and they love it.

I've been letting the engine rev around the 4000rpm level for whatever gear I'm in, especially when wandering the backroads.  Was out this morning and you're right about the crisp throttle response at those levels.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 11:21:59 AM »
Took the K75 out this morning for a 50 mile jaunt at sunrise.  It is a joy to ride in every situation I encountered including some meandering gravel paths through some farmlands managed by Penn State.

Once I get caught up with things I'll post something in a ride report -- the scooter rider stumbling along on the K75.

Here's the view out the door as I was putting my boots on.

• Boalsburg, PA

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
Early morning with cool sunshine and a country road.  I have a meandering 50 mile ride to meet for coffee with a bunch of fellow retired bikers that I do a couple times a week. 

Life can't get much better.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
Early morning with cool sunshine and a country road.  I have a meandering 50 mile ride to meet for coffee with a bunch of fellow retired bikers that I do a couple times a week. 

Life can't get much better.

Riding is a gift.  I was telling some non-riding friends this morning that life got a lot better when I started riding 15 years ago.  Up to that point everything was work, chores, errands, maintenance and responsibility.  I had forgotten what it felt like to have fun, the kind of sheer joy I had as a kid playing in waves at the beach, at the amusement park, or riding a friend's go-kart or minibike.  I'm grateful my life has some fun.  Everyone should find something that gives them some thrill and satisfaction.  At the end of my life I won't be wishing I could have gone to one more strategy meeting or making one more investment.  But I can imagine wishing I could go for one more early morning ride...
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Soggz

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • 2 wheels are better than 4,but 4 wheels,2 bikes...
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2019, 06:33:17 AM »
Exactly the same as mine! In fact, for some reason, the left case just fits right on, but the right case is a real pain to fit or take off!
I find that swearing a lot, as you wiggle it, helps immensely. It’s just another one of those crap bmw ideas that sort of works, when they threw the rest of the bike around the engine. The engines are great, but everything else on them,isn’t!
  • Down in Selwood Forest
  • 1986 K75C, 1982 Honda CX500EC Eurostreetbrat
One More Of These,One Less Of Those...

Offline billday

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
Riding is a gift.  I was telling some non-riding friends this morning that life got a lot better when I started riding 15 years ago.  Up to that point everything was work, chores, errands, maintenance and responsibility.  I had forgotten what it felt like to have fun, the kind of sheer joy I had as a kid playing in waves at the beach, at the amusement park, or riding a friend's go-kart or minibike.  I'm grateful my life has some fun.  Everyone should find something that gives them some thrill and satisfaction.  At the end of my life I won't be wishing I could have gone to one more strategy meeting or making one more investment.  But I can imagine wishing I could go for one more early morning ride...

Life is more vivid when you're on a motorcycle.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Tags: