Author Topic: Spark plug cables coming loose  (Read 1614 times)

Offline earlguy

• Motobrick Curious
Spark plug cables coming loose
« on: July 20, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »
I just took out my spark plugs to check and clean them and reinstalled. Now the cables keep coming  detached from the spark plugs.  It is pretty surprising how smoothly the bike runs on two cylinders.
My 1990 K75s With 30,000 miles probably needs new cables. But is there anything else I can do to keep on the road until the new cables come? Is there some way to tighten up the fit of the cables?
Thanks
  • North Woodstock, NH
  • 1990 K75S

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Spark plug cables coming loose
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »
Are they OEM metal cap type or plastic NGK type? Both types rely on a wire spring to secure the caps to the plugs. If you stick a spare plug into the cap can you feel it gripping? It might help if you invert the caps and fill them with a penetrant and let them soak over night, then push a plug in and out a few times. If the worst comes to worst you should be able to get a new non OEM set for around $60-$80. It is even possible to find a place to make up custom leads. Be aware that Brick leads require a 5 Ohm resistor built in.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 07:52:11 PM »
greetings...

getting the wiors properly on the pluggs requires the special tool in the oe tool kit...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Martin

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 08:55:46 PM »
I've got the burn in hell NGK ones and I find it harder to get them off than on. At home I use a piece of heavy gauge wire bent with a rubber handle at one end and a hook at the other end. On the road I use a piece of para-cord doubled over and thread it around the cap and pull at an angle.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Tags: