Author Topic: New K75 Rider in Central Pennsylvania  (Read 19242 times)

Offline ScooterNSticks

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
New K75 Rider in Central Pennsylvania
« on: July 19, 2019, 09:08:54 PM »
My wife offered to get me a motorcycle for my 65th birthday.  I chose a 1992 BMW K75 that was available from a guy who lives a mile from my house.  Brought it home yesterday and it's all that I've imagined for a long, long time.  The other machine in the garage is a 2006 Vespa GTS 250.  I've run 41K miles on it as a year round rider and wanted something at the other end of the Moto-scale. 

Here's a shot from this morning on my way to the local BMW dealer to discuss tires and service.

* 190719_bmw_k75.JPG (91.06 kB . 768x576 - viewed 635 times)
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: New K75 Rider in Central Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 11:20:06 PM »
Welcome, Steve, to the serene world of a K75 at 6000rpm.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 12:03:41 AM »
look like a nice example.  BMW dealer's get rough treatment here, they're usually not that knowledgeable about older machines and charge top dollar.  A little searching here for DIY tips and smaller shops may be your best bet.   
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:25:46 AM »
 :johnny
This could be a big shock for the readers of your blog. Me included.  :welcome
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 09:35:42 AM »
Welcome!  That's a really nice K75 and you live in a great place to enjoy it. 

+1 on Chaos' advice.  Our bikes are too old to be seen with any regularity at dealers now, so the mechanics are probably flying blind whenever they work on them.  Add to that the bizarre cost of regular service and it's pretty easy to see why most owners do their own work.

The very good news here is that K bikes are incredibly user friendly and easy to work on, especially the naked version you own.  A copy of the Clymer manual and some tools from Harbor Freight are pretty much all you need to do all the stuff necessary to keep your brick reliable.  The inmates here have a vast knowledge and experience base and can help with almost any question you can think up to ask.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline cycle

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »
Congratulations on your K. Don't forget to keep the splines lubed (it's easy to do) and you should enjoy it for a long time!
  • so. vermont
  • k75rt k75s k100lt r80rt
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »
Welcome, Steve, to the serene world of a K75 at 6000rpm.

Moving along at a pretty good clip at 6000 rpms!
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
look like a nice example.  BMW dealer's get rough treatment here, they're usually not that knowledgeable about older machines and charge top dollar.  A little searching here for DIY tips and smaller shops may be your best bet.

I discussed with the technician if he ever worked on a K75 and he said he had done the spline and clutch lubes on several.  He touched on things that made me feel inclined to pay him for this first time.  But my plan is to get my head wrapped around doing this stuff myself. 
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 12:29:00 PM »
:johnny
This could be a big shock for the readers of your blog. Me included.  :welcome

Hah.  It's a dilemma.  Sort of like bringing the new wife home to meet the kids.  I've ridden and written about a lot of other motorcycles in the past but those were all temporary assignments and everyone knew (though some hoped otherwise) I would be returning the bikes to the dealer and saddle up again on the Vespa -- the perfect two-wheeled machine.

Working on that introduction now.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 12:31:44 PM »
Welcome!  That's a really nice K75 and you live in a great place to enjoy it. 

+1 on Chaos' advice.  Our bikes are too old to be seen with any regularity at dealers now, so the mechanics are probably flying blind whenever they work on them.  Add to that the bizarre cost of regular service and it's pretty easy to see why most owners do their own work.

The very good news here is that K bikes are incredibly user friendly and easy to work on, especially the naked version you own.  A copy of the Clymer manual and some tools from Harbor Freight are pretty much all you need to do all the stuff necessary to keep your brick reliable.  The inmates here have a vast knowledge and experience base and can help with almost any question you can think up to ask.

Thanks for the heads up on the Clymer Manual.  I'll look for one.  And I do plan to do the work.  Have all the tools I need I think including a motorcycle lift table from Harbor Freight to allow me to not have to crawl around on the concrete floor to work.  Look forward to the mechanical adventures ahead.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 12:05:51 AM »
Moving along at a pretty good clip at 6000 rpms!
That's typical interstate speed in the bucolic PRV, Steve. It seems like a high figure in print but the K75 is smooth running up there and not straining in the least. Vibration is at a low level and approaching traffic can be identified in the rearview mirrors at a fairly long distance. When you get up there, you'll appreciate it.

I've learned to keep the revs up for peak performance, not jog along at 35mph in fifth gear. 50mpg is my moto's average fuel usage in mixed riding. Flat out on the interstate for hours it drops into the forties.

Let's see a closeup photo of the headlight/instrument mount assembly. The assembly seems unique.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline natalena

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 01:40:13 PM »
Welcome! Enjoy the process of learning your brick's personality, she's a gem. The brain-trust here is staggering, like when the CRAY's first came on the computer scene. The guinea pig at the top is for donations to keep the tank wet :) Cheers from Maryland.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 07:01:49 PM »
That's typical interstate speed in the bucolic PRV, Steve. It seems like a high figure in print but the K75 is smooth running up there and not straining in the least. Vibration is at a low level and approaching traffic can be identified in the rearview mirrors at a fairly long distance. When you get up there, you'll appreciate it.

I've learned to keep the revs up for peak performance, not jog along at 35mph in fifth gear. 50mpg is my moto's average fuel usage in mixed riding. Flat out on the interstate for hours it drops into the forties.

Let's see a closeup photo of the headlight/instrument mount assembly. The assembly seems unique.

I don't notice any vibration at all.  It's super smooth.  My Vespa GTS vibrates more and I would have sworn it didn't.

Here's the headlight/instrument cluster assembly.  Rode last night for the first time.  Some of the bulbs are out that illuminate the speedometer and tach.  I'll probably replace with a set of LEDs.

• Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 07:06:11 PM »
After some more soul searching I've decided to have the dealer lube the clutch splines as well.  Seems a false economy to just do the rear on a 27 year old motorcycle.  A friend told me today, "You didn't buy this motorcycle to save money.  You can afford it.  Just refresh everything so you can ride."

Did look closely at the clutch cable and brake lines.  They look like they have been changed recently and are in good shape. 

So the three spine lubes -- rear drive and both ends of the drive shaft, and the clutch spline. 

I feel my wallet getting lighter.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline stokester

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 09:07:40 PM »
After some more soul searching I've decided to have the dealer lube the clutch splines as well.  Seems a false economy to just do the rear on a 27 year old motorcycle.  A friend told me today, "You didn't buy this motorcycle to save money.  You can afford it.  Just refresh everything so you can ride."

Did look closely at the clutch cable and brake lines.  They look like they have been changed recently and are in good shape. 

So the three spine lubes -- rear drive and both ends of the drive shaft, and the clutch spline. 

I feel my wallet getting lighter.
Nice machine, you'll enjoy the smooth ride.

As others have told you, learn the necessary maintenance and do it yourself.  A good search of the forums will show you the way.

I also recommend you clean and lube the lever end of your clutch cable.  These are known to bind and break without regular maintenance and most of us carry an extra on board.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »
Nice machine, you'll enjoy the smooth ride.

As others have told you, learn the necessary maintenance and do it yourself.  A good search of the forums will show you the way.

I also recommend you clean and lube the lever end of your clutch cable.  These are known to bind and break without regular maintenance and most of us carry an extra on board.

Circumstance doesn't allow me to do the first maintenance myself hence the cash layout to the dealer.  I imagine the cost will come near the $2500 I paid for the bike.  What time I do have I just want to ride.  But in the future I plan to do the next spine lube and as much other stuff as I can myself.

I'll have a look at the clutch lever.  Everything is remarkably clean and works well.  It's just that it's sat for most of the last 8 years. 
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Braaap

• Curious
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 04:14:09 AM »
That’s a great looking bike!

I think we are both lucky having a luggage rack on the back of the bike. Comes in real handy.

I can’t say if you’re lucky your local BMW shop will do repairs on your bike at that cost!! Out here they consider k-bike’s vintage and won’t work on them.

In my experience, I’m really just now getting comfortable with doing my own repairs on my bike. For a long time, I was afraid I’d break my bike. I’m not the most mechanically inclined and feel like I just won an award by figuring out how to replace the rear brake pads without taking off the shock or the rear wheel!

Anyway, welcome! I’m new here myself.
  • NorCal
  • 1992 K75 Non-ABS Low Seat

Offline billday

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 06:28:59 AM »
Never seen such a headlight and windscreen, can anyone ID it?
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 07:09:47 AM »
It's a hybrid. The windscreen is a K75 Parabellum Sport Shield. I recognize its profile and hardware The headlight assembly and its fork tube holder is part of a Vetter fairing assembly from bygone days. I rotated the photo 180º then enhanced the imprint on the headlight housing to arrive at that conclusion. The turn signals might be rear ones from a late '70s or early '80s R model.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 07:58:35 AM »
That’s a great looking bike!

I think we are both lucky having a luggage rack on the back of the bike. Comes in real handy.

I can’t say if you’re lucky your local BMW shop will do repairs on your bike at that cost!! Out here they consider k-bike’s vintage and won’t work on them.

In my experience, I’m really just now getting comfortable with doing my own repairs on my bike. For a long time, I was afraid I’d break my bike. I’m not the most mechanically inclined and feel like I just won an award by figuring out how to replace the rear brake pads without taking off the shock or the rear wheel!

Anyway, welcome! I’m new here myself.

The only reason the dealer is doing the work is that their two techs have worked a lot on vintage bikes -- airheads more than K bikes though.  I've talked to the tech who will be working on mine and he's worked on a handful of K bikes including the spine maintenance.  So my fingers are crossed that all will be ok.  The money, well, it's an expense I can absorb.  As long as I don't think of a vehicle as some sort of investment my brain is ok with it.  After all, I didn't buy a motorcycle to save money. 

Good luck with your growing comfort with DIY maintenance.  Hopefully I won't be too far behind you.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2019, 08:06:36 AM »
It's a hybrid. The windscreen is a K75 Parabellum Sport Shield. I recognize its profile and hardware The headlight assembly and its fork tube holder is part of a Vetter fairing assembly from bygone days. I rotated the photo 180º then enhanced the imprint on the headlight housing to arrive at that conclusion. The turn signals might be rear ones from a late '70s or early '80s R model.

After reading your comment I wandered out to the garage to take another look at things.  The headlight is indeed a Vetter.  And the turn signal could easily be a rear one.  I'm oblivious still to the details of the motorcycle.  My view is still from 10 thousand feet -- "Wow, what a good looking K75."  I'm learning though.

Here are some pictures of the items discussed.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline K1300S

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 11:44:31 AM »

a VERY wise friend....
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2019, 12:07:22 PM »
a VERY wise friend....

Well, he complicated everything this morning at breakfast with, "You know, I could come over and we could do all the work ourselves.  Save you a lot of money." 

I declined.  The last time he and I ventured into the unknown on a mechanical project was when he rebuilt the engine in his Ferrari.  Talk about the blind leading the blind.  He's an engineer.  They like venturing into the unknown.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline natalena

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
The last time he and I ventured into the unknown on a mechanical project was when he rebuilt the engine in his Ferrari.

I know what that's like :) Set aside 3 weeks for a rebuild, and 4 months later finally put the air filter covers back on.

Working on the Brick is actually quite fun during the long, chilly months of winter. BTW, was the Buell pic taken near Buckman Springs outside of San Diego?
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 03:23:48 PM »
With an unheated garage the thrill of working on the bike is yet to be seen.  I may add an electric baseboard heater to keep the chill off.  Plus, I ride year round so the thought of letting the bike sit for months at a time is foreign to me.  Perhaps the Vespa will remain the winter rider.

Buckman Springs near San Diego?  Buell pic??  You lost me.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Tags: