Author Topic: More detailed alternator removal help  (Read 1632 times)

Offline BoardOfCan

• Motobrick Curious
More detailed alternator removal help
« on: July 06, 2019, 07:03:40 PM »
I searched this forum and others, all for naught. I need to replace the alternator dampers, and in the alternator thread in repairs here, I get stuck at steps 6:
6 - Remove the three 6mm Allen head cap bolts that mount the alternator...Sometimes it's easiest to get good leverage on the lower left mounting bolt by removing the coils and starter motor.

I have a '94 K1100RS. Battery, motronic out, cover off the alternator, 2 cap head screws loosened, I cannot for the life of me get to #3. Starter is in the way. ABS II unit is in the way of the starter.
SO!
Who's got the secret to getting that 3rd cap head screw out? DOES the ABS II (and coils and starter) need to come out (and all the hard line removal that seems to involve?) How awful is it to get that 3rd bolt back on to the alternator?

If I screwed up and missed a post about exactly this, I'll take my lashings.
  • Massachusetts
  • 94 K1100RS

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Re: More detailed alternator removal help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 07:22:48 PM »
greetings...

you using the bmw clymer haynes or other manual...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »
IIRC the last time I worked on an alternator..... other than when doing a spline lube service..
I pulled the battery and motronic, that should be obvious.
1st time I pulled the alternator I fought the hard brake line for the rear brakes coming out and going in with the alternator. It can be done, but it is a PIA.
2nd time, I drained the rear brake system, removed that hard brake line, then the alternator came out and back in a little easier, though you will still have to work around the battery bottom plate.
I don't recall having a hard time with the 3 bolts, but it's been probably 4-5yrs or so since I've done one this way.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline BoardOfCan

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »
2nd time, I drained the rear brake system, removed that hard brake line
Makes all the sense. I think that's the answer I was hoping to avoid but needed to hear. Thanks!
  • Massachusetts
  • 94 K1100RS

Tags: