Author Topic: Found tallest K75 bar backs  (Read 4362 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Found tallest K75 bar backs
« on: June 26, 2019, 07:18:17 AM »
So a year later I’m actually feeling the urge to wrench on the lovely K75s.  PO zip tied ignition console in place.  No brackets.  Do bar backs new come with a bracket?  I suspect not.  My 87 had a rather tall set I sold here- kicking myself.

So the rubberized ignition/switch console has a tear where the zip ties were digging in.  What’s a strong yet flexible glue you’ve used to restore yours?  Sell me your spare?

So mine has like a 1” rise bar back that I’ll offer when I disassemble.  As Johnny says now is time for “yeee haaaa ”-  seriously outstanding riding day here in Wisco...

I still have a dwindling pile on K75 bits available for swap.

Rcgreaves. - Clayton

• Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Rcgreaves

Re: WTB tallest K75 bar backs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 07:20:31 AM »
Studying my pic now—I have zero rose NO bar backs installed.  Wondering why my dash was left to dangle?
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 01:35:47 PM »
Studying my pic now—I have zero rose NO bar backs installed.  Wondering why my dash was left to dangle?
You have barbacks there all right. They are attached to the forward end of the handlebar mount by screws at the tips of the red arrows in the photo. They're attached to the rear end of the handlebar mounts by long screws that pass through the barback then thread into the original mount.

The original dash bracket mounting screw hole is within the red rectangle on the left mount in the photo. The previous owner didn't want to fabricate anything to accommodate the setback of those holes.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline natalena

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:46:48 PM »
Making a tube spacer and 5mm threaded rod to extend the dash mount points should be easy, although I don't know if it will vibrate.
West Systems, Black 5200 glue is a good match to fix the rubberized dash, and you may find something that matches the pebbly surface pattern. Oftentimes, your SO or wife's favorite pair of pumps works well, and cutting out a section does the job. Hint, WS 5200 takes about a WEEK to cure! Yikes. Have fun. 
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline K1300S

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 03:34:04 PM »
You have barbacks there all right. They are attached to the forward end of the handlebar mount by screws at the tips of the red arrows in the photo. They're attached to the rear end of the handlebar mounts by long screws that pass through the barback then thread into the original mount.

The original dash bracket mounting screw hole is within the red rectangle on the left mount in the photo. The previous owner didn't want to fabricate anything to accommodate the setback of those holes.

yup...those are barBACKs.  not barUPs.  in fact looks like they are partially barDOWNs.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline szabgab

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »
Making a tube spacer and 5mm threaded rod to extend the dash mount points should be easy, although I don't know if it will vibrate.
West Systems, Black 5200 glue is a good match to fix the rubberized dash, and you may find something that matches the pebbly surface pattern. Oftentimes, your SO or wife's favorite pair of pumps works well, and cutting out a section does the job. Hint, WS 5200 takes about a WEEK to cure! Yikes. Have fun.

Making the required spacers are a question of a spare half an hour. Flat aluminium-alloy stock is probably the best choice - easy to work with and if thick enough, it will be strong. You need to create two sets though - for the front and the back, for a proper stealth look you can even heat-shrink it with black material. Also you need to buy fitting bolts for the front, at the "back" (facing the dash and windscreen) just any bolt+nut would do. The pad covers it all, the MOT people over here can be a real pain in the arse, and they have never noticed, something is different on my bike :)
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
greetings...

bar backs and bar risers are two different things... although some are both back and rise...

rox risers are the way to go... then fixt the crash pad in a yooneek way... your way...

https://roxspeedfx.com/

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Online Martin

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 05:51:58 PM »
A good rubber glue is Shoo Goo.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline szabgab

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
A good rubber glue is Shoo Goo.
Regards Martin.

Yep... Or cheap and ordinary super-glue. I fix snake bites on my bicycle tires with that stuff, nothing else works, but original super-glue (not the gel type) gets sucked even into the smallest tears by capillary action. If you spill any, acetone will take care of it, but it eats some plastics too, so be careful :)
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 07:20:41 AM »
Guys what a pleasure to pour coffee at dawn and find these replies.  Grateful.  Scuse me now, late for work at this rate I’ll be ridong my K into the morning sun at 90... great K day in Wisconsin. 

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 02:27:29 PM »
greetings...

bar backs and bar risers are two different things... although some are both back and rise...

rox risers are the way to go... then fixt the crash pad in a yooneek way... your way...

https://roxspeedfx.com/

j o

Turns out RoxSpeed parts dont fit the k75, however the project K1100 happens to have exactly what I require. hmmmm a swap may ensue.

Offline Big_B

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 08:18:52 PM »
Not sure exactly what parts you're looking for, but I have a spare set of top triple clamps (k1100rs) with the bar clamps. I'd be happy to send them if you can use them. :)
  • North Easton, MA
  • 93 K1100RS
'93 K1100RS 75K miles all stock w/Fox aftermarket shock Corbin seat.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 11:59:23 PM »
Big B Thanks sir.    So,now back from two aviation vacations I can pick up this thread:  at 5’7” and 29” inseam I need all the reach help I can get.  The diagnostics firm Laitch & Lytle  😜clarified I have bar backs on both cycles.  My curiosity from my imagery is: do theycomebtaller - that’s  autocorrection techno speak  there- my first set seemed taller on the 75.  Tomorrow I will measure for brackets.  And measure the installed bar backs.  Are they interchangeable between k75 and K1100? .  So Big_B if yours are stock components I’m good.  Cheers all.

Online Martin

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 01:20:11 AM »
RC I'm the same height as you on the same bike. When I first got mine I used to trap my thumbs against the side of the tank. Over the years I have rotated my bars up and back. The last adjustment was to place two bar caps inverted on the top clamps and re-clamp using longer bolts. Since then the only other mod was to reshape and lower the seat. Maybe you should look at modifying your seat, however find an upholsterer that is proficient with bike seats. If you like I can measure the bar height and seat height. With the forks dropped through the trees 1/2" and the lowered seat I can flat foot with slightly bent knees.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2019, 01:23:30 AM »
Hey Martin thx:  I have a complete oem low seat kit boxed and awaiting installation.  From there I may experiment further with bar adjustments... cheers

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 08:50:47 AM »
My curiosity from my imagery is: do theycomebtaller -
A comfortable combination of handlebar, barback and risers is the goal.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline mw074

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
These are the tallest that I have seen. I know that they are made in various heights but I don't recall where they are available for purchase.
  • Michigan

Tags: