Author Topic: Restoration: 1995 K1100RS for under a grand?  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Hilltopper46

• ^ Motobrick Curious
Re: Restoration: 1995 K1100RS for under a grand?
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »
If you want to keep it in Wisconsin, this guy rebuilt mine when I bought by K1100LT http://www.ingramshocks.com/index.html .

He's about 45 minutes southeast of me in Kenosha County..
  • East Troy, WI
  • 1995 K1100LT
Current bike - 1995 K1100LT - It RUNS!. You says Plum, DMV says Purple, BMW says Navana Violet.

Previously: 1982 XJ650 Yamaha, 1987 GoldWing, 1995 GoldWing, 2001 FLSTC, 2003 Goldwing

Offline Bon Jon Bovi

• All's well that's going ashore
  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »

If it was my shock and it seems to work I would take it to a motorcycle shop that caters to the motocross crowd.  Someone there(probably one of the older guys) will recognize your shock.  They can remove the spring so you can have it stripped and powder coated. 

Ask them about a new spring.  Racers are always changing springs and if it's a good shop, they'll have a source for a new one, maybe for less than powder coating the old one.

They may also be able to do a rebuild, but if the damping works, I would be inclined to let sleeping dogs snooze.  Clean it up, paint it, and have the moto shop charge the nitrogen and reinstall the spring.
Wooooow. This must be a truly magical place, do I need a DeLorean or a telephone call box to get there? Maybe that peacock chair from the H.G. Wells story? Here in Old New Mexico they ain't got such establishments. Next you'd have us believe there are places where toilet paper and hand sanitizer can just be bought off the shelf whenever you want to!
 :poo
  • Cloudcroft, New Mex
  • '93 K75s '97 R1100RT '81 CB750 '76 GL000x2 '74 GT80
62 years. Don't they go by in a blink...

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »
Wooooow. This must be a truly magical place, do I need a DeLorean or a telephone call box to get there? Maybe that peacock chair from the H.G. Wells story? Here in Old New Mexico they ain't got such establishments. Next you'd have us believe there are places where toilet paper and hand sanitizer can just be bought off the shelf whenever you want to!
 :poo

Nobody rides dirt bikes or races in New Mexico anymore????!!! 

Any moto dealer's shop should be able to remove the spring while you wait for a couple bucks.  An abrasive blaster can strip the old paint, and then it's off to a powder coater.  The shop that took it off puts it back on and charges the nitrogen.  None of it is rocket surgery. 

Marzocchi was a big name in racing shocks and forks back in the late 70's mid 80's.

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '94 K75RT Mystic Red, '91K100RS White/Blue, '89 K100RS Special edition White/Blue
Current:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'91 K100RS "Moby Brick Too
'89 K100RS SE

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:00 PM »
During my drive to work the other day Iowa public radio had a Jazz show that highlighted the great singer Bessie Smith and Backwater Blues- search it on YouTube.  Anyway the lyrics could easily be modified to "Corona Virus Blues".  I've been too ill of late to get creative, so I digress.

Thanks all for your latest input.  I've located a spring compression tool and a shop to do some powder painting..As for my clutch challenges I checked into machining and used bits but canít stomach it.  Maybe on K clutch #4 but not on #1.

There's a serviceable clutch kit on Ebay for $40 - Iíve attached a blurry image of the housing mating surface I had to request from the seller... Bothers me -when selling clutch bits to not show the most critical stuf without having to request a follow up pic.  Sorta like a used car ad that omits images of the drivers seat.  My local shops didn't have tooling to grasp and machine my clutch housing without a center mounting point  .  Growing impatient.  I donít want to dick around with this. And I definitely want to reassemble once!!

A few overlooked items ordered from MAX today (free shipping on a $30 order BTW)   compression ring, Spacer ring and a new K75 badge...

Pitting on the mating face is probably passable. Auto machinist thought so too...New clutch housing at Motobins is about $170.  Money tight but with this critical bit Iíll go the Johnny route on this score- new bits is best when it comes to an 84k mile clutch  Iíll repaint and inspect my rear strut spring and see how it goes. 

Temps in the high 40s today- you can smell spring in the air.  Looking forward to some Moto induced social distancing -Cheers.

• Livingston, SW WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • Newest Resto: 96 Honda Interceptor VFR750F, Also Restoring: 1995 K1100RS, 1994 K75S ,1985 Goldwing Aspencade
Doing ďbetter than I deserveĒ

Tags: