Author Topic: Restoration: 1995 K1100RS for under a grand?  (Read 29232 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Restoration: 1995 K1100RS for under a grand?
« on: June 22, 2019, 10:54:49 PM »
So last weekend several gagged and coughed up their coffee when I posted my Craigslist find, a $500 Brick.

The world seems a more lovely place knowing a Motronic equipped, 4 puck Brembo, liter + brick can be had and potentially road/track worthy for under a grand.. Anyway that’s my goal.

Did I mention the near complete tool kit, pristine (French bread basket luggage...) tragkorbs..tragborgs,whatever, and Michelin Pilot radials with plenty o Tread?  “Score!”. 

I’m scratch building a hack BTW, see the sidecar forum, maybe once sorted this will end  up married to my creation.  I’m hard pressed to consider carving up my K75S fairing for a hack.  Some own sculpture, I appreciate these sculpted fairings, and the RS is no slouch, great profile!

So the battery was toast as per normal.  Online Amazon Westco source was only $80 but I spotted a sealed unit at Walmart $95.  Unearthing the battery is a project: it’s buried under the Motronic fuel injection controller, connectors require time, coffee and patience.  At nearly 25 years of age, I found a couple harnesses with worn out, UV degraded sheathing.  One fits tightly behind the battery base so I removed it all and added a layer of Tygon fuel line then wrapped with electricians tape.  The Motronic ground connector was very loose a few crimps and that was tight.  Shiney battery connector terminals and voila... fire it up already...

So I bought it sight unseen from a phone call.  5 minutes later the PayPal funds were gone...I  would have missed out otherwise.  So the first twist of the key was ....key.  It fired right off.  Engine sounds sweet, tranny snick snick snicks...nicely.   See me twist the key here:

So first the positives:

I rode it a few miles and checked all the systems.  Shifts felt fantastic, solid, nice.  Steering, handling...it feels really planted and predictable, better than my K75 in need of head stock bearings and a shorter overall seat height...Overall, as advertised.

So the negatives:  I bought it knowing it needs a engine to tranny Input/output seal.  It leaked on the trailer but so far nothing on the garage floor.  The clutch started to slip when I gave it some abrupt twist.  Clearly the clutch in contaminated with oil.

Front brakes were unremarkable so I jumped off for a closer look.  Right front strut leaking and drooling all over the caliper and rotor.  So the front struts need a rebuild  Seat is starting to tear at the stitching in the usual spots. Aft compartment cover under seat has a broken tab.  Rear ABS seemed to be activating too strongly.

Reviewers describe this bike as “buzzy” at high revs and I sensed that,. At 5000 rpm it sounded mechanical.  Valves maybe?  Anyway my K75 spins right up to redline very smoothly...Hopefully this will too though I recognize
These to be very different animals.  What does yours do? 

So that’s about it, for first impressions. 

Input shaft seal:  what’s the right source? Is this OEM only, have improvements been made?  Ive read EVERY K1100 eats this seal at 80k.

Clutch, o. Ring will get replaced

Spline service of course.

All the fluids are dated so I’ll probably do the brakes and final drive before tackling the big job.

I have a hectic summer family vacation schedule that Includes completing resto to our camper so this may sit several months before I strip it down.  I imagine the clutch will deteriorate if I drive it.  I may sort the other Stuff and just do that nevertheless.  Worst case is the clutch slips a lot right.  PO added a nifty manual on off for the fan. Just tooling around it was two ticks below the red.

Think I can keep the parts list to $400?  Make that $350 as I bought all the necessary fluids.  Cheers all.

• Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Restoration: 1995 K1100RS for under a grand?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »
Unless you are going to be riding this bike before you take out the transmission, I wouldn't worry about flushing the brake fluid. As this bike is ABS 2, you will find the transmission removal way easier by removing the ABS controller. I've done it both ways, for me personally I'd remove again the next time.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »
Unless you are going to be riding this bike before you take out the transmission, I wouldn't worry about flushing the brake fluid. As this bike is ABS 2, you will find the transmission removal way easier by removing the ABS controller. I've done it both ways, for me personally I'd remove again the next time.
T
Scott hi, so admittedly this is my first dance with this model so what you mean then is— space wise it’s easier to get at the tranny by removing the abs controller right? So when I do that I guess the fluid is drained so no sense swapping fluid now.. right? Thanks for the tips
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 09:32:56 AM »
Yep, that's what I'm saying..
There are a few things that need/should come out to facilitate the removal of the transmission.
One being the cross brace between the foot-peg side plates. The battery tray is bolted to this cross brace, and there is a fastener for this tray under the ABS unit. Trying to move the ABS around and working around it all the time, in my opinion, puts extra stress/strain on the steel brake lines as you are flexing them around, as well as the point that this thing is not a featherweight part to keep hanging somewhere.

My 1st venture in removing the transmission from my '97 I tried to leave the ABS connected as I didn't want to mess with draining the brakes nor did I want to try and unwire the sealed electrical box(that's another issue that is addressed with pictures in the service manual). I also tried to leave the swing arm and FD connected to the tranny as well.... All I was trying to do was a simple spline lube...
In the end I spend more time f-ing around trying to leave stuff connected and undamaged than if I had just taken it all apart in the 1st place... I learned this the next time when I did my '95 a few years later.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline billday

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 11:18:42 AM »
The tires may have plenty of tread, but check the manufacture date on the sidewall before you take them out on the road.

Great find, looking forward to following this project!
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline K1300S

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 12:20:08 PM »
 I disagree with Scott.  You do not need to remove the abs controller to get the tranny out..... EZ to do with it in.  I just did this a few months ago. 

If you don't know how old the brake fluid is, replace before riding.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »
 So today I was up early and took the 1100 for a second spin around the area to remind myself of its problems .   

Back at the ranch it’s dripping lubricant in the correct telltale locations.   But all things being equal I see a huge upside potential with this project.  Engine/tranny feel strong.

So today I removed all the fairing coachwovrk, foot pegs, seat and the rear cowl. With the seat off I recognized the similarity to my K75 and found that my immaculate K75S sports seat drops right in -what a gorgeous substitute for the tired seat I removed.   Mounts the same too??

Well,I didn’t reference a service manual for removing the fairing -it’s all pretty familiar given I ride a K75S.   
My big faux pas of the day though was that I had the whole fairing in my hand before disconnecting the turn indicators.  🤔😓🤐Why on earth would they not have quick disconnects on the turn indicators?  With everybody still in bed and no third hand available:  my bike will get quick disconnects- a side cutters was in reach - I cut them free .   

The previous owner put a lot of torx style bolts on the fairing.  They work well but I think I’ll go find hex heads instead.  Did find one straight blade bolt not holding the rear mudguard “seriously”!!  That was good for a nice laugh, then I threw that hardware in the garbage can.  In the 21st century straight blade and even Phillips screws should both be obsolete IMHO.

I took a few minutes to do a fairing sculpture installation on the wall of my garage and then brought the bike indoors to stage for surgery...

I removed the foot pegs and then I was feeling the heat of the summer afternoon .  Time to wrap up.

My preferred sawhorse set up for spline work-next-has been turned into a worktable base, so I will have to fabricate some for sort of sawhorse or tripod base support for the frame .   

The most significant damage on the bike is road rash on the lower side fairings.  I’m thinking I will restore these areas with polyester resin body filler and then repaint these areas black rather than re-shooting the whole component.   I need to research the proper bonding additive for my polyester filler.

I went to a lot of effort to make a non-standard battery work last month- today it looks as my brother used to say “hokey”- like an owner willing to use straight blade hardware😑and since I have to take it out now, I think I will return that one to Walmart and mail order the less costly Amazon Wesco that’s designed for this bike.  Anyway it will probably be winter the next time I twist the key. 

It sounds like I can dig into the bowels of this power train without monkeying with the ABS brain etc.  I owe Marshall a call back to talk through next steps.  I’ve never rebuilt Front struts that will be new and   challenging.  Question: What make is my fancy looking gold rear strut?  Is it serviceable?  Are my rotors oem or maybe EBC?  Fancy cross drilling😁...Hopefully the center stand fixtures are not stripped out.  Does this have the same fuel pump rubber damper issues of my K75?  Might as well inspect, swap out filter at minimum.  Fun so far-Cheers.

Offline natalena

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:22:50 AM »
I'm sure your wife will be happy if you can keep the build within budget. My wife always expects the debt ceiling to rise when I'm quietly searching fleaBay in the living room.

What's the toggle switch above the shock remote reservoir? Manual Kill? Ejector seat? Keurig dispenser?
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
Didn’t note but WTB a side cover preferably in the matching red without the customized , read broken -mounting clip.
If you're referring to the rear/front posts, query MaxBMW because currently the #4 entry in their Frame, Fairing, Cases section for the K1100 is incorrect. It depicts a fuel hose which is not part of a body panel assembly. Max likely has a stock of some of these small parts.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 05:03:06 PM »
Laitch the attach post I believe is cast into the triangular side cover- the bit I show wrapped copiously with a rubber band. I imagine the mount was crunched in a tip over.  But ye, for you... I’ll head over to Max... make sure I have my facts right.  Between work and school I click over 90 miles a day on my K75.  Almost daily I find myself stumbling along and I realize “ hey I have a cycle to ride home”!  And the balance of the day just goes better.  Cheers

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 01:54:27 AM »
Tonight I removed the fuel tank to find it in fairly good "nick" but well worth my effort in disassembly/cleaning etc.  Didn't I read that some attach a foil to the bottom of the fuel tank to insulate?  Home Depot was it? 

So the fuel strainer is different than my 75, I spose a big hole in the end of the strainer won't even stop butterflies?  Best source - Motobins...

Pump damper looks acceptable, filter from 03 prooooobly needs a change out.  So the submersible line isn't looking bad, but seems stiff. Kbikestuff.com has this stuff priced well... The lines to the fuel bar seemed ready to swap out.  All in all a shiny happy tank after a bit o TLC.

Battery I installed was a cobble so out goes the Walmart job. My Toyota needs a battery so I'll exchange it...  I'll order a proper Westco probably- $80 on Amazon.  My K75 came with an odyssy, must be much lighter!! and fills only half the compartment. Westco/Odyssy??

Right front strut is leaking so I dug into the brake calipers. both struts and calipers will get rebuilt.  All the rubber lines appear original and toast.  Where should I shop for braided lines/pads?  I'll give the calipers a good look tomorrow.  I realize now I just shot my budget...oh well, don't tell mom.

Battery support tray runs under the ABS brain, can that be removed for painting without removing that unit?

So the front rotors are rattling/wiggling around loose...Is that normal?  Never encountered this before.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 03:31:14 AM »
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 12:22:05 PM »
inexplicably I don't find a service interval for the bobbins etc. in the OEM manual I downloaded via .pdf here.  members have suggested replace when they rattle at slow speed, grind when backing it up....Seriously?  These puppies get a hammering, ive seen pics of them worn nearly in half!

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »
I did scout Moto bin Johnny thanks.  I appreciate the data.  I’ll break out my 1.5 Pana Visor to  inspect my Bobbins for wear the way they were bobbin around I was sorta shocked.  If yous offering up your bobbin kits my PPal is at the ready.  Are you relocated south yet?  If not you should come for a couple days wrenchin my leaky drive shaft with intermittent Yee Haa!! Sound like you yet.  Cheers my friend.  T30 Battlaxes now mounted in Juda awaiting pickup- maybe tomorrow.

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 01:07:34 PM »
greetings...

i replace mine when there is visual wear plus can rotate the rotor cw ccw quarter inch or so...

ive had oe last 60 thou miles... ive had oe last 150 thou miles... never had to replace the motobins 20393 units...

* 20393.jpg (19.4 kB . 300x225 - viewed 42 times)

i gotts an extra set for 2 rotors at the motobrick garage... just saying...

* 20190831_114048.jpg (26.69 kB . 576x576 - viewed 42 times)

i roll outta the chee till mid october on tuesday... you would think being so close to madison i could getts my gender reassignment completed locally... nope... i gotta to go to canadica... crazy world aint it...

we are rolling to the rockton bar for chicken lunch tomorrow... can meet you there at 11am...

* rockton chicken.jpg (50.03 kB . 768x576 - viewed 1428 times)

this is our route if you dont wamma go all the way to la farge...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 01:39:23 PM »
Well the eats look great so I’m in but knowing your route and timings I’ll share my location upon departure and roll up either 23 or 80 sos we can rendezvous and chase twisties 2x

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 01:46:32 AM »
Today’s ride is chronicled in the cheeseconsin ride thread where I mistake A Johnny siting with a huge sculpture of a phallus just removed from Camp Randall Stadium grounds.  Can’t make up s$&@ like this in Madison. 
Anyway kudos to Johnny for parting with his spare bobbin kits.  We also picked up my newly mounted Battlax T30s for my daily driver K75s. Our dog Pnut was clearly pissed this was not a car ride for him.  Cheers.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
Concerning low seat conversion on a K1100RS- so I’ve searched here and generally: will an OEM low seat conversion works on this 11RS just as brilliantly as on my 75s? My stock sport seat from my 75s looks pretty bad ass in my early project pics above- but can I go lower?  Yes I know I can sculpt and reupholster etc- no my speed thanks. This project has been sitting several months while I clicked off 500 miles a week on my k75.  What a fantastic summer of riding I’ve enjoyed.  yes the fuel injection module is different- is there an oem “kit” for this?  Is it the same one as for k 75?  Cheers

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 07:10:46 AM »
Survey says: only practicable way to lower the 1100rs seat is shaving the foam.  Considering a Seargent shaved via Frankenduck. It’s November with that greasy white asphalt additive today.  Time to get cracking on this project but so so many other commitments demanding attention.  6 months of cold will be hard.

Offline Martin

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 03:13:00 PM »
You can also increase the height of the rider, to counter Ducks disease.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 10:43:24 PM »
So thanks to John in Montana for taking my K75s seat bits off my hands tonight to fund a solid chunk of my restoration, enough anyway to justify digging into the teardown project.  Still need some pricey bits, pressure plate, hardware etc.

Some of the parts seemed impressively priced despite the 1.28 to 1 exchange rate to pounds sterling  Here's tonights $407 Motobins.com order:

BRAKE HOSE KIT  ( Front )  ( With ABS )
BRAKE HOSE KIT  ( Front )  ( With ABS )

Code: BHKIT11ABS
1x   £98.00remove item $125
FLYWHEEL END NUT
FLYWHEEL END NUT

Code: 11679   BMW: 11 21 1 460 673
1x   £8.00remove item
BRAKE PADS ( Front ) ( Ferrodo )
BRAKE PADS ( Front ) ( Ferrodo )

Code: 22835   BMW: FDB2050P
2x   £38.00remove item
CLUTCH BOLT ( Each )   CLUTCH BOLT ( Each )

Code: 32330   BMW: 21 21 1 454 417
6x   £12.00remove item
CLUTCH BOLT WASHER ( Each )
CLUTCH BOLT WASHER ( Each )

Code: 32360   BMW: 21 21 1 242 377
6x   £3.00remove item
REAR MAIN CRANK SEAL
REAR MAIN CRANK SEAL

Code: 40120   BMW: 11 11 7 666 186
1x   £22.00remove item
FLYWHEEL O-RING   FLYWHEEL O-RING  (Max is about $40)

Code: 41230   BMW: 11 21 1 460 456
1x   £1.50remove item
LONG LIFE FORK SEAL LUBRICANT   LONG LIFE FORK SEAL LUBRICANT

Code: 44005   BMW: C4122/034
1x   £1.00remove item
FORK OIL SEALS ( High Quality Pattern Part ) ( Pair )   FORK OIL SEALS ( High Quality Pattern Part ) ( Pair )

Code: 44250A   BMW: 31 42 2 312 928
1x   £13.50remove item
FUEL PUMP GAUZE BAG ( For 74105 pump )
FUEL PUMP GAUZE BAG ( For 74105 pump )

Code: 74106   BMW: 16 14 1 341 233
1x   £29.50remove item
FUEL LEVER SENDER TO TANK O-RING   FUEL LEVER SENDER TO TANK O-RING

Code: 74112   BMW: 62 16 1 459 608
1x   £3.00remove item
FRONT FORK BOOT / DUST CAP ( Each )   FRONT FORK BOOT / DUST CAP ( Each )

Code: 93908   BMW: 31 42 2 310 344
2x   £31.00remove item
FUEL FILLER CAP GASKET SET   FUEL FILLER CAP GASKET SET

Code: 94609   BMW: 16 11 9 062 461
1x   £16.50remove item
FUEL FILLER CAP TO TANK SEAL   FUEL FILLER CAP TO TANK SEAL

Code: 94611   BMW: 16 11 1 453 690
1x   £6.50remove item
FUEL HOSE ( High Pressure ) ( Per metre )   FUEL HOSE ( High Pressure ) ( Per metre )

Code: 95410   BMW: 13 11 1 337 827
1x   £6.50remove item

Subtotal
£290.00
Fedex Express Insured
£28.35
Total
£318.35    ($407)

Offline billday

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 07:19:17 AM »
Why did you send away to England? Was it cheaper?
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 12:11:48 PM »
Yes cheaper and some bits only sourceable there..

For example fuel strainer “bag” as named by the brits at motobins. $38 vs $78 at Max.  Also their website is well executed. 

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »
Yes cheaper and some bits only sourceable there..

For example fuel strainer “bag” as named by the brits at motobins. $38 vs $78 at Max.  Also their website is well executed. 

You donating lotta quid to the Motobins.
Those O-ring viton ?

https://www.tills.de/strainer-to-replace-16141341233.html Strainer to replace 16141341233  8.99 USD

https://www.tills.de/seal-bmw-62161459608.html Seal replacing BMW 62161459608 - VITON 4.05 USD

• NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »
I’m having buyers remorse!!  But thanks!

Tags: