Author Topic: 1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick  (Read 65316 times)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: 1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »
My powder coating guy does Cerakote and . . .
There's also this–relevant at Reply#3.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline FlatSix

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »
There's also this–relevant at Reply#3.

Thank you Laitch for that.  I haven't had time to do much but work lately so no visit to the powder guy.  But I am not sure I like the looks of that exhaust in the link.  I may just not coat the exhaust with anything and just let it "turn."  I haven't decided. 

I was able to put the controls on and rebuild the front master.  I plan to try to route the cables soon if I can figure out how they should be routed.  Also need to figure out where the small ground wires that attach to the handlebar controls attach (on the other end, not the control end).

Is this small switch above the alarm lock cylinder standard?

Looks like I also will need the wiring for the temp and fuel level gauges.

Dave
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project
1971 Triumph Bonneville -sold to a couple young female tattoo artists

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2020, 02:53:34 PM »
I think I have a harness for the fuel and temperature gauges around here somewhere. 
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »
I think I have a harness for the fuel and temperature gauges around here somewhere. 

Thank you sir.  PM sent.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2020, 11:08:20 AM »
Question for the experts...is there a ground wire from the left hand controls (to ground) when heated grips are installed?  I have one on the right hand control but my wiring came with two ground wires so I was thinking the second one should be for the left hand controls but I don't know where it mounts.  Routed the grip wires thru to the hole in the bottom of the handlebars and it was much easier than I anticipated. 

More fun with parts from MAXBMW.  Great outfit and I have received a few shipments from them.  Seems like whenever I place an order I immediately think of something else I need.  Two attempts at buying a new choke cable on Ebay were failures.  What a mixed bag Ebay has been of late. 

I threw some of the fairing parts on this weekend to get a glimpse of what is to come and to see what parts I need for the fairings.  I know some of these are in bad shape.  The main fairing was broken in shipment.  I want to try refinishing the windshield and see what I get.  If it doesn't work out, no great loss.

Really wishing my bike was Bermuda Blue at this point. 

• TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline Martin

« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2020, 01:07:43 PM »
I've successfully restored windscreens. I used a 6" loose cotton mop on a bench grinder and very fine buffing compound followed by Plastx. You need a light touch and keep the job moving as too much pressure or too long in the same spot will burn the screen.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »
I've successfully restored windscreens. I used a 6" loose cotton mop on a bench grinder and very fine buffing compound followed by Plastx. You need a light touch and keep the job moving as too much pressure or too long in the same spot will burn the screen.
Regards Martin.

That is good to hear Martin.  I was wondering what product would be best so I need to source some Plastx.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline billday

« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »

Really wishing my bike was Bermuda Blue at this point.

At least your paint is in decent shape (judging from your photos, anyway). And that gold is so 1987. I seem to remember a lot of Toyota Avalons that color.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Martin

« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2020, 09:09:03 PM »
Before you go out and by the Meguires Plastx try using toothpaste. While at the guild today one of the guys had some scuffed Perspex and El Presidente said he just uses toothpaste and elbow grease to get out the scratches.  The buffing sticks that I use first are fine or ultra fine and are white in colour.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline daveson

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2020, 05:00:55 AM »
I've used Jiff, because it's cheaper than tooth paste, because I'm a cheap bastard, for plastic headlight covers, etc. Probably in the U S it's a different name,  tooth paste like consistency for cleaning shower bases etc. That's for acrylic. I've got rid of scratches on polycarb with a soldering torch,  about four inches from the screen looking at an angle that reflects,  as soon as you see it go glossy, move to the next part.  It wood be good to practice on the lower part,  which isn't so important.

You need a lot of patience with heat,  a little bit too long in one spot,  it overheats and goes white.  Even then you can file it out,  but again you then need a lot of patience.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2020, 08:57:14 AM »
If the previous owner used Windex with ammonia there won't be much you can do for your windshield.  Along with the sun that stuff will cause discoloring and breakdown of the plastic below the surface.

If you plan to do any paint in the future, it might be a good investment to get a Harbor Freight dual action buffer and some 3" foam pads.   Along with some 3M Perfect-It #2 and #3 you can do some really nice things to your paint, windshield and your car's plastic headlights.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2020, 12:02:46 PM »
At least your paint is in decent shape (judging from your photos, anyway). And that gold is so 1987. I seem to remember a lot of Toyota Avalons that color.

What's funny is I was really thinking about what it would take to change the whole bike over to blue and yesterday my wife took a look at it for the first time with the fairings on.  She said she like the gold/bronze/Avalon color.  So there you have it.  Gonna stay with the original color...I'm pretty sure.

Before you go out and by the Meguires Plastx try using toothpaste. While at the guild today one of the guys had some scuffed Perspex and El Presidente said he just uses toothpaste and elbow grease to get out the scratches.  The buffing sticks that I use first are fine or ultra fine and are white in colour.
Regards Martin.

I have heard that toothpaste is an option.  But I don't know.  Probably give the Plastx a try first.

I've used Jiff, because it's cheaper than tooth paste, because I'm a cheap bastard, for plastic headlight covers, etc. Probably in the U S it's a different name,  tooth paste like consistency for cleaning shower bases etc. That's for acrylic. I've got rid of scratches on polycarb with a soldering torch,  about four inches from the screen looking at an angle that reflects,  as soon as you see it go glossy, move to the next part.  It wood be good to practice on the lower part,  which isn't so important.

You need a lot of patience with heat,  a little bit too long in one spot,  it overheats and goes white.  Even then you can file it out,  but again you then need a lot of patience.

I'm more of a Skippy man myself  :laughing1:

If the previous owner used Windex with ammonia there won't be much you can do for your windshield.  Along with the sun that stuff will cause discoloring and breakdown of the plastic below the surface.

If you plan to do any paint in the future, it might be a good investment to get a Harbor Freight dual action buffer and some 3" foam pads.   Along with some 3M Perfect-It #2 and #3 you can do some really nice things to your paint, windshield and your car's plastic headlights.

TMG, I suppose I won't know until I try.  Good news for me is I did get a DA sander last year for Christmas, so I have that.  Plus I have some polishing compounds for cars and some real fine stuff for guitars.  Heck, certainly easier to just buy a new windshield but where is the fun in that?
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2020, 03:53:17 PM »
Question for the experts...is there a ground wire from the left hand controls (to ground) when heated grips are installed?  I have one on the right hand control but my wiring came with two ground wires so I was thinking the second one should be for the left hand controls but I don't know where it mounts.  Routed the grip wires thru to the hole in the bottom of the handlebars and it was much easier than I anticipated. 

The heated grip kit 61312300383 or 61312300382-(with bars ends) only comes with 1 ground wire 61122303023 which is called 'Tubing' on MaxFiche

I see no mention of where ground wire begins and ends connections in 01299797139 Install manual.

Can you describe where you began and ended the ground wire connections?
Sent a PM few days ago
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2020, 04:01:32 PM »
The heated grip kit 61312300383 or 61312300382-(with bars ends) only comes with 1 ground wire 61122303023 which is called 'Tubing' on MaxFiche

There is no mention of where ground wire begins and ends connections in 01299797139 Install manual.

Can you describe where you began and ended the ground wire connections?
Sent a PM few days ago

Thanks Volador,

I connected the ground wire (tubing) to the small socket head bolt on the right hand control near where the accelerator cable connects.  I terminated it under the tank at the main ground point.  There is plenty of length to do so with full handlebar movement. 

My apologies, I thought I had replied to your PM from a few days ago. 

Dave
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2020, 04:15:06 PM »
I see no mention of where ground wire begins and ends connections in 01299797139 Install manual.
Thanks
I see it on step #33 for K100 RT/LT
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
Work continues on the bike in small steps like bleeding the brake lines and getting fairing parts together, etc.  But I am excited to show that my seat came back from the upholstery shop and I think it looks great.  Took the Corbin seat and had it redone with new leather and cushions and gel inserts. Yes, that seat is a little much for a sporty version but I think it fits quite well aesthetically with the LT version.  Now it was sort of a trip to get here...

My first seat was the factory seat in some sort of grey with rips in it.  Not pretty or comfortable to me.  So I thought, no problem lets just get a new seat (I should have just done that) but I saw a few used ones listed on the Bay for what was reasonable and I figured might as well give one a try.  So I bought one that looked pretty good except for a small tear which I though I could repair, then I would have a serviceable seat for little investment.  Well that seat "looked" decent but when I got it was mostly junk.  The brackets that bolt the seat down were rusted so bad that when I removed the first bolt the bracket just snapped off.  All the bolts were worthless.  Great, not easy to replace those without taking the seat apart.  Plus the cover itself was so aged that just pushing on the seat cracked the cover in multiple places...no good. 

So I bought another one that was similar, but included the backrest portion and all good brackets but was otherwise a mess.  I was able to use parts from both to take to the upholstery shop and get this one made.  I am really happy how it turned out...and very comfortable.

It's just resting on the bike, not attached at this point.

FYI, you might notice in the background I have the Triumph apart to get it repainted.  Too many projects at once!  It's a sickness.

Dave 
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »
Lovely seat sir!
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2020, 11:09:29 AM »
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2020, 11:32:19 AM »
Good day gentlemen (and maybe ladies, I don't know)

Been a few weeks.  Mostly failure on my part but with a little positive news thrown in.

Failure in that I attempted to repaint the Triumph while working on the BMW.  Knowing that once I got the T painted, I would let it cure a bit and work on repairing and repainting the front fairing of the BMW which was damaged in shipping, I got to work.  Stripped the T tank and found under many decades of paint layers a tank which needed fixing first.   Badly dented but not leaking.  So I fixed the dents and sprayed primer and blocked then sprayed a beautiful dark cherry pearl base coat and lovely 2K clear.  All looked good but I actually wet sanded thru the clear in the tiniest spot and tried to spot fix it.  No good.  Have to redo the tank.  So I sanded it down and laid down color and clear again with my sprayer.  This time it looked worse for some reason.  Flaws in the clear.  The whole time my BMW front fairing was just sitting there.  Sadly, I did have to admit defeat.  I took the whole bunch to my favorite auto painter (he is great, just thought I could DIY).  Told him my woes and he says he will take care of it all.  BMW fairing first.  He asked me if I wanted the T tank and fender painted the same color (dark cherry pearl) and I told him surprise me, I don't care anymore what color it is. 

So in the midst of this I decide to redo the lexan windshield.  I really like this windshield but it needs work.  I tried to buff it with various products and Plastix and it did look better but not even close to what I want.  I think next will be just sanding it down like redoing a car headlight with increasingly fine sandpaper then hitting it with some 2K and see what I get. 

I did get the seat properly mounted and located a seat lock keyed to my ignition...(thanks duck).  Also got my sensor installed and run for the temp gauge and all the wiring for additional instruments in the dash.  Edit:  I did run the wiring properly and that's why you see no bolts in the cover to my coolant/oil pump.  And filled with coolant...ready to fire her up soon...very very soon.

Still missing a right hand mirror cover in Bahama Bronzit (sp) and need a part number for the rubber pad which sticks on the back of the tank next to the seat.  Did get some other things done but can't recall them all.

Thanks y'all.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline billday

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
Great to hear from you.

How about a picture of your Triumph?
  • 1985 K100

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2020, 11:54:48 AM »
Windshield: been down that road...twice. 

First, it has a 2K polyurethane clear on it to prevent scratching.  You have to take it all off to buff, and removing that crap is a b!tch.  Try 3M Perfect It #1 on a buffer.   Once you get it off, 3M Perfect It #2 & #3 with a DA polisher will do a decent job. 

It may be possible that the shield has been out in the sun a lot and somebody cleaned it with ammonia based cleaner and it will have crazing that goes well below the surface and can't be buffed out.  That crazing had a yellow tint on my K75S shield.  In that case, you might want to consider painting it with a transparent tint and clear.  The tint will hide the microcrazing, and isn't that big a deal since you are probably looking over it.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2020, 12:18:26 PM »
Great to hear from you.

How about a picture of your Triumph?

Hope this works.  If so, this was a few months ago with the messed up paint job:

• TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2020, 12:24:49 PM »
Windshield: been down that road...twice. 

First, it has a 2K polyurethane clear on it to prevent scratching.  You have to take it all off to buff, and removing that crap is a b!tch.  Try 3M Perfect It #1 on a buffer.   Once you get it off, 3M Perfect It #2 & #3 with a DA polisher will do a decent job. 

It may be possible that the shield has been out in the sun a lot and somebody cleaned it with ammonia based cleaner and it will have crazing that goes well below the surface and can't be buffed out.  That crazing had a yellow tint on my K75S shield.  In that case, you might want to consider painting it with a transparent tint and clear.  The tint will hide the microcrazing, and isn't that big a deal since you are probably looking over it.

Thanks Gryphon, now that I think about it sure does seem like it already has a 2K clear coat on it and no amount of DA buffing was really making any progress.  I will go with your approach and see.  I don't really want to buy a new one. 
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline billday

« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2020, 12:28:19 PM »
Hope this works.

Sweet! That's a beautiful sound.
  • 1985 K100

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2020, 01:27:41 PM »
That Triumph is really nice. 

Wore comes to worse, you might have to go with wet 2000 to strip that clear.  You gotta remember that it's there specifically to prevent scratches.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Tags: