Author Topic: 1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick  (Read 65305 times)

Offline FlatSix

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: 1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »
I have four of these guys that I use when changing tires.  They do a nice job of protecting the finish on the rim.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-Motorcycle-Rim-Protectors-08-0357/282821124897?epid=1442392898&hash=item41d973e321:g:edkAAOSw0g1akYko

* s-l500.jpg (17.17 kB . 500x377 - viewed 1153 times)

Good idea.  Mr. Bezos will be sending some my way.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project
1971 Triumph Bonneville -sold to a couple young female tattoo artists

Offline KosmicK1100

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2019, 12:39:29 AM »
You are doing a beautiful restoration! It takes a lot of guts to put a bike together from a pile of parts! I admire the quality of your work!
Cheers!
  • France, Germany
  • K1100RS

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2019, 01:07:54 PM »
Howdy folks, did get the tires mounted and waiting on some parts.  But most importantly we have the frame back from powder.  :twothumbsupp
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2019, 01:09:08 PM »
You are doing a beautiful restoration! It takes a lot of guts to put a bike together from a pile of parts! I admire the quality of your work!
Cheers!

Thanks Kosmic
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2019, 11:52:17 AM »
Wizards of the motobrick community,

I hate to sound like such a newbie but can someone help me out with a question?

What is the difference of the fuel tank with bridge mounting vs. fuel tank with plug mounting?  It seems to impact a few things.
(Update:  I think I figured it out from the manual.  Just don't know which version I have for sure without inspecting the tank...I think...but I believe I have the plug mounting version.)

Also, being in a hot climate in South TX is it recommended to install a fuel line radiator?  I have seen reference to it but not entirely sure.  If so is there a preference on radiator and location?

Thanks

Dave
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2019, 12:57:31 PM »
I hate to sound like such a newbie . . .
What is the difference of the fuel tank with bridge mounting vs. fuel tank with plug mounting?  . . .
(Update:  I think I figured it out from the manual.  Just don't know which version I have for sure without inspecting the tank...I think...but I believe I have the plug mounting version.)
You don't sound like a newbie; you sound like somebody who doesn't know how to Web search.
Fuel tank bridge mounting plate on rear of tank.

Frame with bridge-mounted tank.

Fuel tank with mounting posts.

Frame with fuel tank mounting post receiver bosses.

. . . being in a hot climate in South TX is it recommended to install a fuel line radiator? If so is there a preference on radiator and location?

It's called a fuel cooler. Hot fuel in the tank radiates heat to the rider. The Mighty Gryphon has an excellent instructive thread on choosing and mounting one. Click on Search Guidance in the menu under the page banner to mount a search for that post.

You should also add a johnny blanket to your modifications if you intend to keep the fairing.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
greetings...

i did my corbin butt board in brown...  well half of it anyway...

* Galaxy-Custom-Mille-Miglia-X-inside-look-11-1068x712.jpg (37.63 kB . 768x512 - viewed 719 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2019, 02:27:06 PM »

You don't sound like a newbie; you sound like somebody who doesn't know how to Web search.
Fuel tank bridge mounting plate on rear of tank.

Thanks.  I guess that is fair but I did search this site and couldn't easily locate any info.  I'm pretty sure I have the plug mount version.  I want to make sure I don't mess this up because I see the manual has different install procedures for the frame.

It's called a fuel cooler. Hot fuel in the tank radiates heat to the rider. The Mighty Gryphon has an excellent instructive thread on choosing and mounting one. Click on Search Guidance in the menu under the page banner to mount a search for that post.

Thank you.

You should also add a johnny blanket to your modifications if you intend to keep the fairing.
[/quote]

Excellent suggestion, thanks.  I don't have the fairings yet.  Most were sold off by my seller before I got the bike.  But I have been thinking of just sticking with stock fairings unless there is a better way to go for me.  I do know whatever way I go with the fairings I will paint them a different color.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »
greetings...

i did my corbin butt board in brown...  well half of it anyway...

* Galaxy-Custom-Mille-Miglia-X-inside-look-11-1068x712.jpg (37.63 kB . 768x512 - viewed 719 times)

j o

That is exactly the color I was thinking.  Looks awesome!
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2019, 03:27:32 PM »
You should renew the insulation under the tank anyway. Home Depot and hardware stores have Reflectix; it can be installed with double-sided tape. Other brands might be self-adhesive.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2019, 12:47:43 PM »
I would like to torque the frame bolts to the engine mount points.  I have looked at the manual for instructions and looked at the parts fiche to make sure I have everything and the proper torque sequence and values. 

One thing I noticed in looking thru the Service Bulletin 2575 on vibrations is the mention of a "support ring." 

Screw in all 5 bolts loosely by hand, but not as far as the bolt heads.  When assembling, insert a 1mm shim at the right front between the crankcase and rubber mountings, with a support ring on the outside. (1)

There is an image with an inset showing a shim on the inside and a support ring on the outside of where the frame mounts.  I don't see a support ring in the parts fiche.  Perhaps this isn't for my bike as it appears this bulletin might refer to the K100RS 16V, and not being an expert this may be a different mount than mine.

Am I missing something?
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »
Am I missing something?
Yes. Service Bulletin 2575 refers to 16 valve engines and yours is an 8 valve. You're determined to make this more complicated than it needs to be, aren't you?:-)
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »
Yes. Service Bulletin 2575 refers to 16 valve engines and yours is an 8 valve. You're determined to make this more complicated than it needs to be, aren't you?:-)

Haha!  Indeed sir. 

Too much time between parts deliveries I suppose.

Thank you.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2019, 02:52:47 PM »
Still waiting on parts to be delivered but made some small progress.  Some you can see and some I don't have pictures of.  Flushed out and generally cleaned the radiator and got the fan fitted to it.  Had to do a small amount of trimming on the fan shroud to fit in the frame but not a big deal.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline billday

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
Just want to say how much I'm enjoying following your project.

Very interested to see and read about fitting the harness to the frame. The thought of that has always scared me off even contemplating a frame-off project myself.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »
Just want to say how much I'm enjoying following your project.

Very interested to see and read about fitting the harness to the frame. The thought of that has always scared me off even contemplating a frame-off project myself.

Thanks billday.

• TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2019, 10:49:36 AM »
Updating the status.  I was waiting for a few weeks for a parts order.  Some small part was holding up the order but alas she came.

Took care of the rear MC and brake switch.  My reservoir hose looks like it needs to be replaced as well.  Got all the hoses in for the radiator and installed.  Installed new front wheel bearings.  Installed rear shock.  It's had a rebuild then sitting in the box uninstalled for years apparently...if I recall correctly.  We will see.  If it doesn't work out I will just replace with a new one. 

I want to rebuild the front forks - springs and seals.  Don't have the parts yet but I will start looking for a good option for progressive springs. 

Started looking at the wiring.  I am going to give it the once over.  I laid it all out on the floor in the garage and it doesn't look too bad. 

That's all for now.

• TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2019, 11:57:00 AM »
Back at it after a few weeks of travel.  Saw a K100 on the streets in Munich and it gave me a big smile. 

Another parts order came in so I got a few more bits buttoned up.  Put the wiring in to see some things and take some measurements.  Pretty sure I will go thru the wiring and re-tape and clean everything and cross my fingers.  Found myself staring more than doing this past weekend for some reason.  I think I will call it "planning." 

I'm ready to put in the new head bearings and rebuild the fork tubes.  Also thinking of going thru the water/oil pump to make sure I don't have any issues there.  Most likely its all good but I can't just leave it be without checking.

Prost!
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
Also thinking of going thru the water/oil pump to make sure I don't have any issues there.  Most likely its all good but I can't just leave it be without checking
If it isn't leaking, it doesn't have issues. They'll come after you check it for issues. :-)
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2019, 06:27:35 PM »
Looking pretty spiffy there.  Nice job!
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
If it isn't leaking, it doesn't have issues. They'll come after you check it for issues. :-)

Laitch you have me worried now!  Perhaps an offering to the brick deity is in order instead.  I might be OK with that.

Looking pretty spiffy there.  Nice job!

Thank you sir!
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »
Laitch you have me worried now!  Perhaps an offering to the brick deity is in order instead.  I might be OK with that.
Worried about the consequences from lack of self-control? Don't worry. They're nothing that time and money can't mitigate. You probably shouldn't consider offerings to the brick deity though. Around here they are often burnt ones.

Good luck with the wiring. :-)
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2019, 01:25:48 PM »
Keeping things moving is important so as to feel that I am not stagnating and that something is being accomplished.  So I focused on some mundane tasks recently like installing the steering head bearings and races and rebuilding the brake calipers. 

As for the bearings I was greatly helped by the Chris Harris video on removal and replacement.  I thought I might get to employ my hydraulic press which sits so lonely most of the time but I was a little unsure of pressing out the stem partially to remove the bearing as the repair manual states so I was relieved when viewing the video I found I could employ hammer and chisel.  I did also use the dremel to give the chisel some purchase after removing the cage and rollers.  A few good whacks and it came loose.  Then freezing the stem and heating the new bearing with a torch and she dropped right in.  A BFH for the races and they slipped right in also. 

Fitted the rebuilt rear caliper and test fit the wheel to check for clearance and any other issues.  Nice to see the wheel on and things coming together.

Next up is the front forks and brake calipers.  Oh, and there still is the wiring which I will be needing some mediation music.

Dave
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2019, 05:53:16 PM »
Things slowed down with my travel for work lately but I did manage to rebuild the front brakes and in process of rebuilding the forks.  New progressive springs and seals are on order.  Took the opportunity to repaint the lowers and darn I have a drip in the clear.    :laitch

I also received a new front fairing which was in pretty good shape when I ordered it however the shipper cracked the front.  Looks like something was loaded on top of it and its got a what I would call "forceful" break in it.  Repairable of course but more work I didn't plan on.  Working with the seller to see if the shipper will offer any help.  Not really hopeful there. 

Speaking of shipping I got a call last week while I was in the Newark airport that at first glance I thought would be a robocall so I almost didn't answer.  But I did and was surprised it was DHL checking if I received two boxes of parts from the great white north that were shipped to me in JULY!  I did but really?  From July?  Sigh, moving on...

Dave
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline billday

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post these notes and updates. Really enjoying watching along with this project.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Tags: