Author Topic: 1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick  (Read 65307 times)

Offline FlatSix

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick
« on: June 09, 2019, 11:16:30 AM »
Howdy,

I did an intro in the Welcome section but thought a thread here in the projects section makes sense since I a starting with parts instead of a whole bike.  As mentioned in the intro I came across this project while looking for a K bike and I really couldn't resist.  It is an 87 K100LT mostly in boxes and bins.  The plan is to restore it as I reassemble the bike and acquire all the missing bits (if I can find them).

First thing I did was make a little dolly to be able to easily move the motor around the garage.  I then sent the wheels out to get powdercoated after cleaning them ALOT.  I also sent out the injectors to be serviced to Mr. Injector and sent the throttle bodies out to @distang on Instagram.  I wasn't looking for that but happened across Distang and his K builds and he offers a great service for throttle bodies so I sent them to him and rather quickly they came back looking great.

I ordered some parts I know I will need and taking stock of other items that I will have to find.  The challenge with starting from bits is that I don't have a reference for where things go and how they go back together since I didn't take this bike apart.

Some pictures below.

Thanks for looking... 
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project
1971 Triumph Bonneville -sold to a couple young female tattoo artists
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline FlatSix

Re: 1987 K100LT Resto - from bits to brick
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
Oops...forgot to mention that I rebuild the starter and replaced the alternator. 

Also pulled the transmission and lubed the splines and reinstalled it. 
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »
As long as the engine is still out of the frame, I would strongly suggest pulling the transmission and replacing the clutch o-ring.  It's a 30 year old two dollar part that is almost guaranteed to start weeping slightly as soon as you put the bike on the road.  If you wait, you are looking at a full day of pulling the whole back end of the bike apart and putting it all back together. 

The o-ring life cycle is time dependent where the rear main seal is mileage dependent.  The seal is probably okay if the engine has less  than 100k miles on it. 

Otherwise, things look pretty nice.  The rear loop wasn't hacked off, and compared to the ones I have owned looks like it just came from the factory.  That part of the frame usually gets awful rusty.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Martin

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »
Welcome to the asylum from OZ. While you're there you might want to check and coat your gear position switch with something waterproof. You also might want to fit a grease nipple to your clutch arm.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
Welcome to the asylum from OZ. While you're there you might want to check and coat your gear position switch with something waterproof. You also might want to fit a grease nipple to your clutch arm.
Regards Martin.

Thanks Martin, I need to look into those things.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 01:21:01 PM »
As long as the engine is still out of the frame, I would strongly suggest pulling the transmission and replacing the clutch o-ring.  It's a 30 year old two dollar part that is almost guaranteed to start weeping slightly as soon as you put the bike on the road.  If you wait, you are looking at a full day of pulling the whole back end of the bike apart and putting it all back together. 

The o-ring life cycle is time dependent where the rear main seal is mileage dependent.  The seal is probably okay if the engine has less  than 100k miles on it. 

Otherwise, things look pretty nice.  The rear loop wasn't hacked off, and compared to the ones I have owned looks like it just came from the factory.  That part of the frame usually gets awful rusty.

Thanks Mighty Gryphon.  I appreciate the suggestion and I think I am going to follow your recommendation on the o-ring.  I have a set of gaskets and o-rings and I probably have that one included.  Not sure what other parts I will need to order to replace it but I will look into it.  Better now than later as you say!
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 02:26:19 PM »
On order is a new clutch o-ring, compression ring and hex nut.

Also ordered a new sight glass and magnetic drain plug. 
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 02:56:29 PM »
Not sure what other parts I will need to order to replace it but I will look into it.  Better now than later as you say!
A different machine but in the same vein, I picked up an old wood shaper, parts in a basket. I hand-tight assembled the machine, then took it apart so that a) I'd know what was missing or needed replacing and b) establish an assembly sequence. I dug up a manual on-line after assembly. Buttoning it up today.
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »
A different machine but in the same vein, I picked up an old wood shaper, parts in a basket. I hand-tight assembled the machine, then took it apart so that a) I'd know what was missing or needed replacing and b) establish an assembly sequence. I dug up a manual on-line after assembly. Buttoning it up today.

Its a great feeling when it all comes together.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 06:43:22 PM »
Any time you aren't sure what some part is for or where it goes, just post a couple photos here.  The Brain Trust has pretty much seen every part that goes into a brick. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 07:29:24 PM »
Any time you aren't sure what some part is for or where it goes, just post a couple photos here.  The Brain Trust has pretty much seen every part that goes into a brick.

It is a tremendous resource.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
Something that I did get was the folder full of manuals and documents.  Included are a lot of service receipts for the bike going back to it's original purchase here in TX.  I can't say for sure everything is included but it is fun reading.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »
Made this socket tool Sunday for installing the swingarm nut to proper torque.  I wasn't feeling to well but it doesn't take much to get out the grinder and send some sparks flying.  At least my son thinks it is cool.
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
Made this socket tool Sunday for installing the swingarm nut to proper torque.  I wasn't feeling to well but it doesn't take much to get out the grinder and send some sparks flying.  At least my son thinks it is cool.

Nice!
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline billday

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 06:49:56 AM »
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »
Clutch O-ring replacement this weekend.  Pulled off the transmission again and removed the clutch.  Took a measurement to make sure we are in spec on the disk.  All looks good to me.  Removed the nut and compression ring.  Followed the repair manual instructions for removing the o-ring...a little tricky but a pick tool and scalpel did the trick.  Replaced all with new o-ring, nut and compression ring.  Torque to spec and reinstall clutch and transmission.  All good.  Replaced transmission lube with new Moly gear synthetic. 

Can someone school me on the gear position switch?  Mine looks OK but I haven't tested it or anything.  I can see that the area is exposed so sealing it makes sense.  Plasticote ( since I have some around)?  Or what is the best approach?

On to the swingarm and final drive next.

Thanks in advance
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline mw074

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
Plasticote will work since you have some. Or RTV silicone.
  • Michigan

Offline Martin

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 04:03:29 PM »
I used Plasticote  about 15years ago and it's still hanging in. I used Red it makes for faster gear changes.

Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »
Whatever you decide to use(my favorite is marine epoxy resin), take some time to completely remove all the old, crumbling potting compound.  Then clean the area well with electronics cleaner to remove any oil that may be there.

Replace the screws with stainless Allen head screws, they'll be much, much easier to remove when the time comes again.  Install the switch and test it with the instrument cluster before you install the swingarm.  If necessary, that is a good time to clean the internals. 
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline earlguy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 05:31:59 PM »
Excellent work. Keep it up.
  • North Woodstock, NH
  • 1990 K75S

Offline billday

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 05:38:48 PM »
How did you get the inside of your clutch housing so clean? I mean, it's cleaner than most of the surfaces in my kitchen.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 09:47:28 AM »
I used Plasticote  about 15years ago and it's still hanging in. I used Red it makes for faster gear changes.

Regards Martin.

:eek2:

Whatever you decide to use(my favorite is marine epoxy resin), take some time to completely remove all the old, crumbling potting compound.  Then clean the area well with electronics cleaner to remove any oil that may be there.

Replace the screws with stainless Allen head screws, they'll be much, much easier to remove when the time comes again.  Install the switch and test it with the instrument cluster before you install the swingarm.  If necessary, that is a good time to clean the internals. 

I do have some marine epoxy and got some replacement stainless allen heads.  Testing with the instrument cluster may mean unraveling the mouse nest of my wire harness, maybe.  Good news is I did upgrade all the bulbs in my cluster with LEDs.  As yet untested though.

Excellent work. Keep it up.

Thanks

How did you get the inside of your clutch housing so clean? I mean, it's cleaner than most of the surfaces in my kitchen.

It was already pretty clean.  Just some brake dust around which came off with brake cleaner no problem.  I consider myself lucky on this one.

• TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »
Making a little progress this weekend.

Removed the gear indicator switch and cleaned it thoroughly.  Looks as though someone already went to town with the JB Weld on it and it appears in good shape so I reinstalled with new bolts.

Drilled, tapped and installed grease fitting in the clutch actuator arm and reinstalled along with a new clutch rod cup gasket thingy.  Seemed like I was on a roll so installed the swingarm, drive shaft and final drive.  Lubed and torqued all to spec. 

Reinstalled the lift handle with new rubber and a new spring.  Looking good :)

The list of parts to order gets longer.  I'm feeling the need to work on the footrests soon and also remove the valve cover and check my clearances.  Probably paint the engine covers while I am at it.  Haven't given the water pump much thought yet...Also not sure of the order of things but some new to me parts are on the way thanks to some forum members so cheers.

Dave
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »
Going to be a nice looking brick.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline FlatSix

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 10:40:01 AM »
Moving on to the footpeg brackets and footpeg refurbish.  Got all the parts in just needed to clean things up and replace all the rubber bits and paint the brackets.  Had trouble finding the clear coat I wanted so I went with something I wasn't familiar with and ended up having to do it twice...oh well.  I think they look good and just waiting for things to cure before reassembly. 

Also changed the fluid in the final drive. 

Oh and I am going to paint the engine covers.  Waiting on new bolts to arrive before I remove them.   And time to check on the powdercoater and get my wheels back.  And need to get some tires.  And need to get the seat recovered, etc., etc.  Thinking of a brown leather on the Corbin seat but not sure how that would look.  May just stick with black but the original seat that came with the bike looks gray, might be pretty faded though.

Dave
  • TX
  • K100LT
Dave in TX
1987 K100LT project

Tags: