Author Topic: MOA National Rally  (Read 4462 times)

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
MOA National Rally
« on: June 06, 2019, 03:38:20 PM »
Any other Motobrickers going to the MOA National Rally in Lebanon TN?

I'm headed out tomorrow, probably into pretty good rain, to the Gathering of the Clans Airhead Rally at the High Country MC Camp and then a few days riding around NC and TN before heading to the Rally.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Barry in IN

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: MOA National Rally
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 10:24:38 PM »
I’m going. Planning on arriving Thursday night.  I’m signed up for the Streetmasters class Saturday.   
  • Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 12:27:31 AM »
Looks like we are it.
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 03:53:09 PM »
greetings...

streetmasters walt fulton... tell him jo says if you caint keep up you gotts to drag peg... trailbrake to the apex and whack it on exit...

won daytona twice on the kawacker... and many more acrosst the usa... and owned midwest flattracks on the factory hd...

we were riding the twisties... pulled off at a gaggle of kneepuck sportbikers... walt let them getts ahead... then he rolled on... passed them in the twisties... slowed down and let them pass him on the straights... then he would repeat...

the look on their faces when then 60+ year old walt fulton took off his helmet exposing his white hair...

i learned everything i know about riding fast from walt fulton...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 08:01:43 AM »
So it just might be worth the $75?
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline johnny

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
greetings...

how time flies... from 05... me and walt at a norcal rally...

* jowalt2.jpg (106.26 kB . 768x576 - viewed 511 times)

* jowalt1.jpg (81.11 kB . 768x576 - viewed 530 times)

here are your instructors... nancy and walt...

* nancywalt.jpg (67.14 kB . 768x576 - viewed 482 times)

here is walt and the cal state popo on ca49... we were ripping it back to socal... we were blasting it... the popo thought he had a group of wreckelss ridors and some motos were gonna be towed...

buttts no... one look at elderly walt and his white hair he let us all go... yeeeeeeehaaaaaa...

* popowalt.jpg (61.01 kB . 768x576 - viewed 531 times)

popo had called ahead... another was waiting for us where we could slow down and get off the road... ha ha ha...

walt on the 99... 2 time daytona champion...

* waltonthe99.jpg (77.41 kB . 768x482 - viewed 534 times)

yeah... its a half day... you can learn allot... enjoy...

if you like it go to willow springs and do the 1 day on the horse thief mile...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »
Nice Daytona picture!

Willow Springs?  Sounds nice, but I try to stay out of that state.  Lots of moonbats and loop cutters there. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 11:58:52 PM »
I arrived in the area last night. Went to the rally today, took in some seminars, and looked at things I couldn’t afford.  I didn’t wander around expressly to look at bikes, but the occasional Brick caught my attention.   I saw at least one K75S that looked better than mine...with ten times the mileage.

I didn’t see a single yoo-neek K.  Not one.  The board seat curtails travel beyond a couple miles, I ASSume.

Streetmasters class tomorrow. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 11:12:22 PM »
The Streetmasters Class was great, as far as being a spectator.   I was in line for the second exercise (U-turns) and the K75 died.  And wouldn’t start.  Just a slight “rrrr”.   Battery?

I roll it off to the side, and putz around cleaning battery terminals just in case I can salvage things. 
Miracle!  It started right up. 
Then after a minute...died.   

So I spent the rest of the class on the sideline watching (not much yee-haa) and phone-shopping for a battery.   

I’ve been tempted to by a jump start set, so I considered this a sign.   I’ll just walk over to the vendor building and buy the one I looked at yesterday. 
Wait.  Where’s the guy? 
His booth neighbor said he left.  He sold out of them.  And I don’t see any more around anywhere. 

The day is shaping up.

I run into a guy from Cheezconsin who says he has a battery charger and is camped by a power pole.  Off we go.  We pushed it over to their campsite and charged it.  A lot.  I wanted to be able to teach Batteries Plus- my only hope.

The K starts right up and off I go on my merry way to Batteries Plus.  Or to get lost.   Which is what I chose to do.  But not for long.   I found it.   He brings the new battery out and things clicked into place in my head. 

The battery in mine was in it when I bought it in Dec 2017.
It was nearly new then, but I always thought it looked small.
This one looks almost twice as deep. 
About the same size as the battery pan. 

I guess my look must’ve said it all because he says “Wrong one?”   Well, I wouldn’t say that.  I’d say I already HAD the wrong one.     

$180 later, the K is back to her old self.   The course has been over for hours by this point, but I had a running K75. 

• Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 11:32:09 PM »
And then things got worse. 

I’m posting this continuing saga for those who love a good misery tale.    It looks like I’ll soon be a veteran of the grub screw experience.   I am now stuck in 5th gear with a floppy shift lever... 425 miles from home. 

After the rally, I headed to a meetup with some friends in NW Alabama, with a stopover in Huntsville.  While roaming Huntsville looking for lunch, I had trouble getting the shifter all the way down into 1st gear.   Then I couldn’t get 1st at all.   Well that’s odd.  Soon, I couldn’t get out of fifth.   

A quick look made it apparent even to me that the shift lever would swing a huge arc while doing nothing.   Ah-Ha!  This must be the dreaded grub screw.

I made my way on across to Florence AL. While only about 60 miles, my route had approximately 847 stop lights.  I got lucky and made two green ones.  The rest, I got to start off from in fifth. 
This is in addition to the construction zone that had me going 10mph or less. 

Being stupid, this of course gave me hope.  After making that leg, I feel confident that if I can get back to I-65, I can get home, since I’ll only need to make a couple stops for gas.
Barring any other problem, that is. 

Oh yes, it’s raining. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 12:00:49 AM »
Oh yes, it’s raining.
:clap:
I see The Moth Radio Hour in your future.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »
This should be a warning to anyone who has any free play in their shifter.   Shifter action should be fairly solid.  Any swing in the shift lever is a warning that the grub screw is beginning to get loose and will need to be addressed.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 08:44:13 AM »
I can attest to the fact it happens fast.  Very fast.   The time from “Hey, something’s not right here” to “Whack” wasn’t long. 
Mine may have gone quicker than usual once it began, but don’t let that cause anyone to think you’ll have more time if you feel it coming on.   If it feels wrong, stop riding if you can.

I got lucky in one way.  I’m glad it’s in fifth.   It’s a pain to get going, but certainly doable, and any other gear would make for a sloooowww trip home. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline johnny

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
Nice.
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline volador

• NEEDS MORE CHROME
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 06:09:50 PM »
And then things got worse. 

I’m posting this continuing saga for those who love a good misery tale....

Being stupid, this of course gave me hope.  After making that leg, I feel confident that if I can get back to I-65, I can get home, since I’ll only need to make a couple stops for gas.
Barring any other problem, that is. 

Oh yes, it’s raining.

Bravo one of best literary post on the MB
Still LMAO!
  • NYC NY
  • 1991 K100RS 1993 K75S ABS
5 BOROUGHS SISYPHEAN SOCIETY  MAINTAINING THE OBSESSION

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 06:41:56 PM »
Ah yes, the rain.  I got about 80 miles from home when it stopped.
Not the rain. Traffic stopped.  So there I sat stopped in the rain among the semis for a while.  At least it was warm.  There was a lady trucker who is no doubt still laughing. 

The K75 is still in pieces in the garage.  I have a screwed up back and kept trying to work on it when my back wasn’t ready.  My impatience only delayed things more. 
Then I ran across an R1100 for a deal.  I bought and rode it while my back improved.   Then cold weather came.  Since I have a list of things to do while the K is cracked open, I’m not going to bother going back out there until spring. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Tags: