Author Topic: Bringing K75 back from the dead.  (Read 15890 times)

Offline daveson

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Bringing K75 back from the dead.
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 11:16:27 PM »

:popcorm
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2019, 01:10:30 AM »
Quick update
Started bike several times today.  Revel up to about 4000 once when running but had it idling several times.  Vast improvement from what it was doing.  “Repairing “ the o-rings fixed part of the problem, so we are on the  right track. Next will be to remove carb, check manifold for leaks, and maybe replace the carb with another one.
Thanks again for your help and patience with me,
Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Offline daveson

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:18 PM »
Bonus,  progress.

If, like me, your hearing is not the best,  another pair of ears might help you locate the area of the leak.
  • Victoria, Australia
  • Current;'85 K100RT~100,000km; four other bricks. Past; 1500 Vulcan, V Star 650, KLX 250(dirt bike) TT250(dirt bike)

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2019, 01:03:10 AM »
Found the leak.
Finally got back to working on the trike. Pulled the intake manifold off and sure enough one of the manifold connectors was broken ( not sure of the proper name of the rubber piece between intake and head ). Ordered one on eBay, should be here by Tuesday, back together and progress will be made.

Thanks for all the ideas and assistance,
Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »
Re-assemble everything, put the Weber 32/36 back on it, a little shot of spray start, fired up and sat there and idled beautifully.  Almost ready to ride. What a relief.

Thank you one and all for your ideas and assistance.

Ride on............

Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Offline daveson

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2019, 08:10:11 PM »
Good one.

I know it's a tall order,  but it would be good to see a video when you get to ride it.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2019, 04:03:26 AM »
For a Neanderthal like me, that might be a tall order. These modern devices are still new to me. I’ll just have my grandson film me and the trike.
Had the back wheels off ( on jack stands ) and ran it through the gears . Shifted good, accelerated great, but I don’t have rear brakes yet so I don’t know how it will stop yet. Waiting for a master cylinder to arrive from Summit. Then I can give it a real try.

Ride on............

Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Offline bitsa

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2023, 11:01:25 AM »
Hope all is well with you & yours Sopp? Been a while since any update (Just call me the Thread Necromancer) & no video of the first ride either, fingers crossed the brakes weren't THAT bad...

In all seriousness though, hope you're good.
  • Manchester, UK
  • 1986/87/88/89 K75/100/S/RT (k75s with lots of other parts)

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2023, 04:43:32 PM »
The key is in my garage---------somewhere. 2 days of searching has not turned it up. 

This has probably been asked before but I could not find it in a search. How do I start a K75 without the chip key?  What are the 4 wires on the back of the switch that need to be hooked up to start the engine.  I have jumped red to both blue and green and everything lights up and it turns over great but will not fire.  What do I do with the gray wire?  How do I get around not having a chip?

After many years of sitting idle, I decided to dust it off and get her going.  I was on this forum many years ago but had to re-register since I could not remember my password. Hope you can help me get this old girl going again.

Thanks,
Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2023, 05:17:06 PM »
My Brick has the original ignition switch. There is no chip in either the flat key or the folding key. Did you install an aftermarket switch of some sort?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2023, 05:22:48 PM »
 :johnny OMG  The tri-wheel with the Weber on top! :laughing4-giggles: Welcome back, Sopp!
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2023, 09:29:15 PM »
If only it were a Kia......
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2023, 10:21:02 PM »
A little history: stolen and recovered, bought from insurance company by a friend who promptly lost all paper work and has since passed away.  I hate to stick too much more into this until I get a legit title, but, would still like to get it up and running.

The key that came with it and worked just fine had a chip in it.  Key still remains lost.  I'm assuming it was original to the bike. I was told that the bike is a 1989....?????......   I'll see if I can figure out the VIN number on the frame.

Also, since I don't have the key, how do I get the gas tank open??  All of this is mute if I can't put gas in it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2023, 11:43:17 PM »
Also, since I don't have the key, how do I get the gas tank open??  All of this is mute if I can't put gas in it.
Click this link to learn about opening the cap without a key. Put the last seven digits of the serial number into this VIN checker to find out about your ride.

The key might have had a chip but there are no electronic components in the ignition switch of classic Bricks that would communicate with a chip. Maybe you're referring to an anti-theft alarm that was under the seat. The key to that didn't have a chip either.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2023, 02:24:01 PM »
Shouldn’t be too hard to hotwire, somebody here must’ve done that before?
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2023, 06:48:49 PM »
Grey wire connects power to the BMU and park lamp above the headlight.
Grey/Blue connects for headlights and dash back lighting.
Green goes to the Load shed relay, and kill switch.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2023, 10:52:12 PM »
Main reason I thought there was a chip involved was 1. the key had a chip in it, 2. the bike ALWAYS started perfectly with the key, even after long periods a little spray start and off it would go. Now without the key it will not even fire.  With the red wire jumped to the blue and green, all the dash lights come on and it spins over great........but no fire, not even with a good shot of spray start.

I've been working on cars and building hot rods for over 60 years, so I'm not a greenhorn.  Guess I'll be checking the wiring to the coils tomorrow to make sure something hasn't happened there.

Thank you for the replies and the info ( gas cap drilling tomorrow ).  I will let you all know when I find what is causing this problem.

Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2023, 02:33:27 AM »
I'm just explaining what I know about originally-equipped Bricks, Sopp. If your buddy modified his ride with a custom ignition, clearly that's beyond me, and you would know better.  What I do know is that if I lost my Brick's non-chip key, my Brick wouldn't start either.  :laughing4-giggles:
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline daveson

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2023, 02:36:34 AM »
Stop. Before you drill into the fuel cap, maybe remove the fuel sender, pour in some fuel and reinstall it. You haven't found the keys in the garage, could it be in the house on the key holder, or wherever you put your car keys, or someplace else? And welcome back Sopp I remember your interesting build.

I would jump the red wire with the green wire and see if it starts.

What do you mean by jumping the red wire with the blue and green? The grey/blue (grey with a blue stripe) is supposed to supply power to the ignition, not receive it, so don't connect that to the red wire. Or do you mean the green wire with a blue stripe, because that wire is supposed to be for the light switch. The blue stripe might be faint now after all these years, so is easy to confuse with the green wire for the ignition switch, and my eyes are over sixty years old as well.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2023, 03:57:02 AM »
This is my first Brick and only my second bike ( first was an Ariel Square 4 back in H.S. ), so the chip on the key had me believing that was standard. Now my head is on straight about the ignition.  NO CHIP.    Problem somewhere else.

Key was on the key rack in the garage with all the other project car keys.  Never anywhere else. The old saying goes, "If the wife can't find it, it really is lost".

Getting late, more digging tomorrow, or actually later today.

Thanks again,
Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Offline daveson

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2023, 07:51:50 AM »
Some other places where they shouldn't be, motorbike jacket pockets, motorbike pants pocket, bike tool box, steering lock, other lock (my RT has thirteen locks) attached to car keys, car console or glove to bring to locksmith or forgotten at locksmith.
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline MIbrick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2023, 08:28:41 AM »
Some other places where they shouldn't be, motorbike jacket pockets, motorbike pants pocket, bike tool box, steering lock, other lock (my RT has thirteen locks) attached to car keys, car console or glove to bring to locksmith or forgotten at locksmith.

I tore apart the house and garage looking for my missing key a week ago. Found it in the seat lock, hidden by my Dryspec bag. I felt so stupid for not having checked there first.
  • Michigan
  • 1986 K100RS (ohne Tragkorb)

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2023, 08:40:57 AM »
In addition to these are jail cells, defendants' chairs in courtrooms, proctologists' specimen jars, and emesis basins.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline daveson

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2023, 09:03:59 AM »
It's so good to know I'm not the only one who does stuff that feels like dumb stuff sometimes. Plus I should have said if pouring fuel in from under, you would want tank on the right side, not upside down.

Plus, I think at least some places used to have an option of cutting a key if given just the Vin number
  • Victoria, Australia

Offline Sopp

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2023, 09:59:47 PM »
Well, I guess I'm just a slurry of misinformation.  I was lied to right from the start.  Turns out I don't have a K75.  What I own is a 1980, R100 RS that was built for the European market, what ever that means.

Drilled the cap per specification in the link, but still can't get it open.  Try again tomorrow.

Still can't get it to fire.  Never had a problem starting before.  Try again tomorrow.

Built the mounts for the front air bag today. Now to get those pesty springs out of the forks so that it is full air suspension. Any hints on removing the springs will be appreciated.  I've never taken forks apart.

Thanks again for the advise and assistance on bring this old girl back to life,
Sopp
  • In my yard
  • K75

Tags: