Author Topic: Speedometer works, odometer doesn't...  (Read 9321 times)

Offline ws76133

• Motobrick Curious
  • After Reading This Forum I Will Be Forever Whack
Speedometer works, odometer doesn't...
« on: April 28, 2019, 04:10:10 AM »
Question:  The speedometer on my 1991 K75S still works fine, but this afternoon, the odometer and trip meter stopped.  I'll clean the speedo sensor on the final drive when I get home, but since the speedometer works, I'm not hopeful.

Any ideas?
  • United States
  • 1991 K75S

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Speedometer works, odometer doesn't...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:28:12 AM »
A well known problem the gears on the odometer are literally made of cheese and crumble. New gears are available.
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline TX brick

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 05:42:38 AM »
Overseas Speedometer in Austin, Tx does a good job if you decide to have it repaired. They did my 91 75RT.
Ron

91 K75RT

Belton Tx

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:23:50 AM »
They're not too hard to replace, just takes some patience.  Plenty of on line help.  http://www.odometergears.com/products/BMW/R+&+K+Motorcycles/42
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:41:44 AM »
They're not too hard to replace, just takes some patience.  Plenty of on line help.  http://www.odometergears.com/products/BMW/R+&+K+Motorcycles/42
Agreed, there is plenty of info on this site and you'll find my post about visiting Jeff Caplan at Odometer Gears and pics of what your gears probably look like.

• Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 11:16:56 AM »

... the gears on the odometer are literally made of cheese and crumble.

Actually, mine were made of compressed applesauce.  The cheese ones were an upgrade.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline RobP

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 02:32:48 PM »
Overseas Speedometer in Austin, Tx does a good job

+1 on Overseas Speedometer if you decide to have someone else do it.  I had Rick replace the gears in my 1985 K100RS instrument cluster.  Great guy, and he stands behind his work.
  • Driftwood, TX
  • 1985 K100RS

Offline szabgab

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 03:22:09 PM »
Or you can get some newly fabricated ones from a Spanish guy.  Good place to stock up on some starter buttons too :)

http://www.hardtoptire.com/producto_en-hardtop.php?id=168&id_familia=104&id_catalogo=19
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline brichbk

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 12:15:08 AM »
Installed a new HFP-437 Fuel Pump I got for $42 on Amazon.  It's a direct replacement for the factory one. 
  • Central Valley California
  • 1993 BMW K75RT // 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650sc

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 02:57:28 AM »
Question:  The speedometer on my 1991 K75S still works fine, but this afternoon, the odometer and trip meter stopped.  I'll clean the speedo sensor on the final drive when I get home, but since the speedometer works, I'm not hopeful.
Any ideas?
Installed a new HFP-437 Fuel Pump I got for $42 on Amazon.  It's a direct replacement for the factory one.
To many of us, that probably would seem unsuitable for use as either an odometer or a speedometer.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
To many of us, that probably would seem unsuitable for use as either an odometer or a speedometer.

you need gas to drive the odometer, (well, indirectly) so I will let it pass as relevent
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 11:38:51 AM »
:giggles
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline TriSpark

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
Mine just did the same this week ! Guess I'll be making the repair soon.
  • Chattanooga TN
  • Red 1987 K75s

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 04:40:58 PM »
I filled my gas tank and reset the trip odometer.  About 28 miles along on a ride it stopped working along with the mileage odometer.  Reset it again and still neither working.  Speedometer is fine.   After bouncing along for another 10 miles on a rough road it begins to work and continued to work fine for the next 200 miles until I returned home.

Did some investigating here and found this post.  Contacted Overseas Speedometers in Austin, Texas and got a quote to replace the gears and such. 

My question is -- How likely is it that the odometer will continue to work fine?  I can imagine why it stopped but not why it started again. 

I really want to ride for awhile -- like until December when the weather gets cold and then pull the instrument cluster if something is not working.

Any experience of these things having a short hiccup and then function fine for another 40K miles?

• Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »
Any experience of these things having a short hiccup and then function fine for another 40K miles?
I knew a woman who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and lived an active life until her early eighties when she killed herself with a derringer. I hope that helps.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
Man, the cryptic nature of information here makes my brain itch as I attempt to decipher.  As far as I can make out, in 15 years I think I'm supposed to shoot myself.

I'll just keep riding it until it becomes annoying to not have an odometer.  They seem overrated.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 05:20:25 PM »
'll just keep riding it until it becomes annoying to not have an odometer.  They seem overrated.
They are overrated. Use an astrolabe instead. As long as you have a relatively accurate low fuel light and ability at dead reckoning, you're golden.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
They are overrated. Use an astrolabe instead. As long as you have a relatively accurate low fuel light and ability at dead reckoning, you're golden.

But where do you keep the charts??

The low fuel light comes on after about 100 miles.  I guess I keep track. 
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline stokester

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
<CUT>
Did some investigating here and found this post.  Contacted Overseas Speedometers in Austin, Texas and got a quote to replace the gears and such.
<CUT>
I'm curious how much they ask to rebuild it.  It's not difficult and they are available with instructions as I posted previously.

The bike runs fine without updating the odometer, you'll just have to keep an eye on the fuel lamp.  On my '93 K75S the trip meter has never worked since I've owned it and when the odometer quit I dismantled the cluster. It was apparent the gears were shot for the odometer but I still could not figure out the failure in the trip meter and without a spare I did not want to take it too far.  I've used an inexpensive bicycle computer to keep track of the tank mileage since I've owned it and have replaced the gears.

• Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
But where do you keep the charts??
You put them in the maritime version of City Cases—Nauti Cases.

With GPS and its swarm of attending apps, odometers and speedometers are quaint reminders of a simpler time—like Regal Beer cans and prophylactic machines that need change to be operated.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2019, 07:35:16 PM »
As long as the low fuel light works you should be okay.  If is comes on as you say at 100 miles, just figure on filling the tank within an hour and you should be good. 

I suspect one of the drive gears for the tripmeter has lost a tooth.  If you are adventurous you can open the case and get at the odometer and make a repair in an evening.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 08:38:27 PM »
I'm curious how much they ask to rebuild it.  It's not difficult and they are available with instructions as I posted previously.

The bike runs fine without updating the odometer, you'll just have to keep an eye on the fuel lamp.  On my '93 K75S the trip meter has never worked since I've owned it and when the odometer quit I dismantled the cluster. It was apparent the gears were shot for the odometer but I still could not figure out the failure in the trip meter and without a spare I did not want to take it too far.  I've used an inexpensive bicycle computer to keep track of the tank mileage since I've owned it and have replaced the gears.

They want $250 to repair the trip odometer and odometer.  Not sure how long they would have it.  And while they have it apart they'll fix the burned out illumination lights.

My biggest concern is monitoring the fuel.  If the trip odometer fails again I'll have to rely on the fuel light.  And I can use some app on my phone I suppose to track mileage.  Would like to have some rough idea of the total mileage. 
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »
You put them in the maritime version of City Cases—Nauti Cases.

With GPS and its swarm of attending apps, odometers and speedometers are quaint reminders of a simpler time—like Regal Beer cans and prophylactic machines that need change to be operated.

So far I'm keeping the bike quaint.  No GPS, apps  or other electrical contraptions.  I still need to put three quarters in the ignition before I can ride the bike.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 08:45:15 PM »
I still need to put three quarters in the ignition before I can ride the bike.
Riding it with protection is good policy.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 08:55:57 PM »
As long as the low fuel light works you should be okay.  If is comes on as you say at 100 miles, just figure on filling the tank within an hour and you should be good. 

I suspect one of the drive gears for the tripmeter has lost a tooth.  If you are adventurous you can open the case and get at the odometer and make a repair in an evening.

I've looked at the detailed instructions that I could download from the the Odometergears site.  Not sure if they're too complicated for me or if I just would rather pay to have someone else do it.  Still sorting that out. 

Things are different with this K75 than with my Vespa.  Riding through snow and salt for years with the scooter found me washing it once in the spring and the very, very occasional wax job every few years.  I basically maintained a rat scoot.  I've had the K75 for about a month and have washed and waxed it three times already.  It's like it's some high maintenance date.  The damn thing feels like it is aligning with horses and boats as a place to send money and time.  Oh well, I'm smitten.  It's a joy to ride.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Tags: