Author Topic: Speedometer works, odometer doesn't...  (Read 951 times)

Offline ScooterNSticks

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: Speedometer works, odometer doesn't...
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
Riding it with protection is good policy.

And it's smooth for my pleasure.
  • Boalsburg, PA
  • 1992 BMW K75, 2006 Vespa GTS 250ie
My Blog: Scooter in the Sticks
https://scooterinthesticks.com

Offline szabgab

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 03:24:10 AM »
I've looked at the detailed instructions that I could download from the the Odometergears site.  Not sure if they're too complicated for me or if I just would rather pay to have someone else do it.  Still sorting that out. 

Things are different with this K75 than with my Vespa.  Riding through snow and salt for years with the scooter found me washing it once in the spring and the very, very occasional wax job every few years.  I basically maintained a rat scoot.  I've had the K75 for about a month and have washed and waxed it three times already.  It's like it's some high maintenance date.  The damn thing feels like it is aligning with horses and boats as a place to send money and time.  Oh well, I'm smitten.  It's a joy to ride.

Oh, the honeymoon period... Usually the first road salt riding period puts stop to the three times a week TLC waxing routine :)

Cluster wise - unless you are ham-fisted, the issue can be tackled on your own. You will have to spend that 250USD on your bike soon enough, so I would tend to do it on my own. You have to be careful with certain things but like everything else on this bike being slow, methodical and attentive let's you do most of the things
  • Budapest, Hungary
  • K75S 1985 model

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 06:55:20 AM »
Oh, the honeymoon period... Usually the first road salt riding period puts stop to the three times a week TLC waxing routine :)

Cluster wise - unless you are ham-fisted, the issue can be tackled on your own. You will have to spend that 250USD on your bike soon enough, so I would tend to do it on my own. You have to be careful with certain things but like everything else on this bike being slow, methodical and attentive let's you do most of the things

Looking at the instructions on how to make the repair -- hamfisted seems appropriate.   I can see myself completely whacking things up.  I'm good with a sledge hammer and shovel.  But little gears that require a gentle hand and concentration, oh boy...
  • Boalsburg, PA

Offline alabrew

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 11:49:18 AM »
"Not sure how long they would have it.  And while they have it apart they'll fix the burned out illumination lights".

If I remember correctly, Overseas works on BMW's on Thursdays or Fridays?, generally get it back the next week.
I mailed mine in and then went on vacation and it was at home when I returned.
I believe they will git everything working unless you ask that they don't.
  • Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline ScooterNSticks

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
"Not sure how long they would have it.  And while they have it apart they'll fix the burned out illumination lights".

If I remember correctly, Overseas works on BMW's on Thursdays or Fridays?, generally get it back the next week.
I mailed mine in and then went on vacation and it was at home when I returned.
I believe they will git everything working unless you ask that they don't.

Thanks for the information.  That sounds reasonable.  Maybe I'll ride for a few more weeks and then send it in.
  • Boalsburg, PA

Tags: