Author Topic: Guard Dog 525  (Read 2456 times)

Offline John Lang

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • John Lang
Guard Dog 525
« on: March 16, 2019, 05:58:10 PM »
When I removed the rear drive for inspection an ounce or two of oily liquid flowed out. Leaking seal? No, it was the Guard Dog 525 I applied in the fall. I thought GD was supposed to be good stuff so I bought a jar just before they went out of business. Probably a mistake.
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Offline rbm

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Guard Dog 525
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 07:19:06 PM »
Guard Dog 525 is good lubricant.  The active ingredient has probably embedded itself in the splines and you're seeing the carrier.  If you want the Guard Dog to stay in place longer, then mix it 50-50 with SIG Wurth 3000 lubricant.  The SIG Wurth will no contribute to any lubrication but will ensure the viscosity of the Guard Dog is high enough that it doesn't migrate away from the splines under pressure.
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline John Lang

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • John Lang
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »
I'll try that, Robert. Thanks.
  • Ottawa, ON Canada
  • 1987 K75C

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 07:27:26 PM »
The SIG Wurth will no contribute to any lubrication . . .
There is no point in using it if it doesn't contribute to lubrication. The fact that it is water-, temperature and friction resistant is how it does contribute to lubrication when mixed with the Guard Dog product. It's pretty good stuff on its own—just not the preferred stuff for this application.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline rbm

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 07:51:32 PM »
Laitch,  Maybe I wrote that slightly misleadingly.  SIG Wurth 3000 is not a spline lube, it's an impact lube. Some places on the Internet sell it as spline lube but I wouldn't even consider it a correct application of this lube.  I don't think its formulation is meant for sliding surfaces, more for impact or pounding surfaces.

If you see this stuff, you'll understand what's it does.  It is a multi-purpose grease but it comes into its own through the special additives used within to withstand the heavy impact and pounding pressures common to heavy equipment. It allows the grease to stay in place and not to spatter or pound out of the bearing or fitting. Most greases manufactured today do not have this anti-spatter capability.

The grease is super thick and stringy. Adding it to the moly lube will make the mixture stick tenaciously to anything.  When used in the splines, its stickiness ensures that the moly remains in place longer than if it wasn't used, permitting more of the moly to bind to the steel surface. 
  • Regards, Robert
Toronto, Ontario

1987 K75 - Build Blog @http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »
If you see this stuff, you'll understand what's it does.  It is a multi-purpose grease but it comes into its own through the special additives used within to withstand the heavy impact and pounding pressures common to heavy equipment.
I've seen it; I've used it in other applications and as I stated, it isn't preferred for this application. Cabin fever compels me to clarify statements that don't make sense to me and yours was one of them.

Spring will bring some relief.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Tags: