Author Topic: Disassembling a K100 ignition lock  (Read 4616 times)

Offline woodgeek

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Disassembling a K100 ignition lock
« on: May 02, 2018, 07:14:38 PM »
I’ve had my gas cap lock out for months. Grinding down the wafers to make it work with my ignition key was simple. The ignition lock isn’t as easy to disassemble. Maybe I missed it but I couldn’t find a guide anywhere. Staring at it while at work I knew there had to be a way to disassemble it. Then I saw the little tab of brass that looked like a lock wafer deep in the back side of the lock assembly. The wafer that lets you disassemble it is spring loaded. You have to depress it while pushing on the lock cylinder from the bottom. So, here are my pictures of a disassembled ignition lock.

The impetus for disassembly was the fact that the ignition lock I bought on eBay was sticking because the key was getting worn. You can see the first wafer is a little “proud” of the cylinder in the image below. I knew it was going to leave me stranded or left with a broken key in my lock eventually. Now I can grind it down a little. And I can grind the wafers on my gas cap cylinder to work with the ignition key.

• Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Disassembling a K100 ignition lock
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
The ignition lock isn’t as easy to disassemble. Maybe I missed it but I couldn’t find a guide anywhere.
You missed it. It's in ther Repair Guidance section.
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,4909.0.html

It could also be found by putting this term in a Google search. ignition switch cleaning site:motobrick.com
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline woodgeek

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Disassembling a K100 ignition lock
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:52:03 PM »
They didn’t show removing the ignition lock cylinder.
  • Henderson, NV
  • 1985 K100RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 12:27:13 AM »
They didn’t show removing the ignition lock cylinder.
I read switch where you wrote lock cylinder.  :dunno

Anyway, you refer to a little tab of brass that looked like a lock wafer deep in the back side of the lock assembly. That is the retainer tang described in this post from the Repair Guidance section here where the author states that all lock cylinders are basically the same in operation.

One man's wafer is another's tang—or something like that. Your description adds another search term that might help somebody find instruction. That's useful.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline jjconeill

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »
just found this, great i was stuck, and my wafer was covered with grease and until i knew what to look for i could not see it. Now I have it apart, and ready to reassemble. How ever, should it just snap in place and hold lock in with a snap of the wafer, or do i need to depress it? Thanks, also any special grease or none? Clean it with WD40? Thanks again, can't wait to figure out my lack of ignition power, thought it was the switch but replacing and still not working. I'm on my way to diagnosing the problem.
  • Lindenhurst Illinois
  • k75 1987

Tags: