Author Topic: ABS RR flashing after first start  (Read 2683 times)

Offline subforry

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
ABS RR flashing after first start
« on: February 26, 2019, 04:50:48 PM »
Hi,

I have been reading up on ABS but thought I would post this question.  When I first start the bike in the morning the ABS lights flash alternately like a Railroad crossing.  If I ride a few blocks, shut down, and restart it's all fine.  No RR flashing.  I have been keeping the bike on a battery tender, thus it should be fully charged.  The first start does take some cranking, where as the second start is mostly instantaneous.

From what I have read this is caused by voltage drop.  Yes/No?  And would a better battery fix the problem?

Thanks
  • Hermosa Beach, CA, USA
  • 1996 K1100RS
1981 Suzuki GS850G
1990 Suzuki Katana 1100 (GSX1100F) - sold
1996 BMW K1100RS
2009 BMW K1300GT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: ABS RR flashing after first start
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
How old is your battery?  Do the lights continue flashing after you move the bike?

The only fault I have had with the ABS on my bikes has been from a weak battery dropping the voltage too low when starting, causing the low voltage fault.  Charging the battery and resetting the fault corrects it.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:52:24 PM »
I have been keeping the bike on a battery tender, thus it should be fully charged.
Not necessarily. A tender won't fully charge a weak battery but will slow a weak battery from degrading. Running with the alternator might give the battery a boost but a worn battery might not be able to hold that boost.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline bizzaro

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • co pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:52:06 PM »
Hi,

I have been reading up on ABS but thought I would post this question.  When I first start the bike in the morning the ABS lights flash alternately like a Railroad crossing.  If I ride a few blocks, shut down, and restart it's all fine.  No RR flashing.  I have been keeping the bike on a battery tender, thus it should be fully charged.  The first start does take some cranking, where as the second start is mostly instantaneous.

From what I have read this is caused by voltage drop.  Yes/No?  And would a better battery fix the problem?

Thanks

Yes.....Most Auto parts stores will check your battery for free.   And a weak/worn battery may show it has the proper voltage, start your bike just fine, but screw up your ABS. (As Laitch and Gryph have alluded to.)It did mine.  But that being said,  it can be other things as well.  I would first have your battery checked. 
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline stokester

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:48:58 PM »
A real load check is required to assess the health of your battery.

If it is weak you also run the risk of damaging the starter relay.
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline bizzaro

• co pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 11:53:02 AM »
Come to think of it, my bike started doing exactly what you said at the end of the season last year. At the first start up in the morning, the ABS would flash alternately. I would drive it a couple miles, shut it down and restart it.  Then ABS would behave properly. 
When I first bought the bike it had a weak battery.  The bike ran fine, but my ABS was forever in alternate flashing mode.  I had the battery tested, and I think their was a bad cell or something.  I replaced the battery. Then the  ABS warning lights were functioning as they should.  The battery is now 4 or 5 years old.  Being the frugal(cheap SOB) I am, I wasn't going to get a new battery at the end of the riding season and have it sit all Winter.  I am adding that to my list o parts for my K.  Thanks for the reminder.  I am betting myself, at the price of a new battery, that will take care of the ABS.  I am also lazy! So for $140 or so, it is an easy fix!(as long as it works)
 :bmwspinn
  • Vermont
  • Current:1994 BMW K1100LT Previous: 1982 Yamaha virago 920,1973 Honda CB550,1976 Yamaha 650 Special
See Ya in the Twisties,
 Bizz

Offline subforry

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 01:53:43 PM »
Just following up with some tips.  First these are great for adding connectors to the dash switch wires
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9HRDT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to fix my ABS switch wires before I could clear the ABS codes.  The Odyssey PC680 fixed the flashing, even when I have to crank a bit because it is cold and/or not run in awhile.  I got the battery from Battery Mart, there was a 10% off coupon plus free 4 pack of AA batteries.  You can stack coupons.

Bondo 280 bumper glue did a fantastic job of gluing the dash pad mount (the L brackets) to the dash pad.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046VN8JO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used this same glue to patch some holes in the dash pad.

Thanks for all the help.  Its really nice to have the ABS working and be able to remove the dash pad.  Tightening the head bearings was easy with the dash pad out of the way.
  • Hermosa Beach, CA, USA
  • 1996 K1100RS
1981 Suzuki GS850G
1990 Suzuki Katana 1100 (GSX1100F) - sold
1996 BMW K1100RS
2009 BMW K1300GT

Tags: abs battery