Author Topic: K75S Dash, Carling Contura III switch  (Read 2216 times)

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
K75S Dash, Carling Contura III switch
« on: June 08, 2019, 08:11:40 PM »
Playing around with replacing the original teardrop external BMW switch with a lighted dash switch for the driving lights.
Switch is a Carling Contura III, bought on eBay for $8.00
Using a 'beta dash" that I can cut up, the switch #1 does not fit depth-wise, #2 is about 1mm too wide, #3 spring retainers work well.

Tried cutting the bottom shelf out of the dash pad, with slight shaving of the sides. Switch then fit nicely but was not flush since the dash has a peak where the switch fulcrum is.

Cut 1.5mm along the side of the switch well, removing the triangle sections of rubber. Switch now sits flush.

The underside leaves just enough room to clear the handlebar clamp hex bolts, and I may try cutting the plastic partitions on the switch to bend the leads 90 degrees and gain about 5mm more clearance.

Just an exercise in "hmmmm, wonder if this'll work."
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Martin

• ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: K75S Dash, Carling Contura III switch
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:23:16 AM »
I tried non OEM switches. I ran them for a few years however the peak and the depth of the switches which had to have the connections bent to fit finally did it for me. Over the period of a month I managed to score a couple of cheap OEM ones and a near mint dash pad. I added a LED globe with resistor to one soldering at the rear of the switch rather than solder internally. Both new switches required a bit of maintenance cleaning and lubricating. The local speed shop or electronics shop supplied the correct stickers which once fitted, I coated with clear lacquer. I am a lot happier with their look and function. The switches were eventually rotated to their correct orientation.

Regards Martin.

* Dash Switch non OEM 2.jpg (46.68 kB . 768x576 - viewed 385 times)
* Dash Switch OEM 1.jpg (53.09 kB . 768x576 - viewed 381 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Tags: