Author Topic: DIY Sidecar  (Read 121 times)

Online Rcgreaves

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Parting out this 1987 S NOW, what do YOU need
DIY Sidecar
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:05 PM »
Gents:

The other day I swapped Keith some K75 bits for a DMG sidecar mount kit for K75.  Today I've been reading up about the various customizations possible and the pitfalls.  This is pretty fascinating to me as my wife had to give up her cycle last year and our family dog loves to go for rides...Never on the cycle, but my instincts say he will go for it.  A pal in nearby Madison WI has a Ural, KMEV who sold me my K has a sidecar. I plan to take the pooch for a spin. The dude with the Ural is hardcore for winter riding, pretty cool. ( I posted a vid here of him last year...

Another fun item is that I am enrolled in a welding certificate program at the local community college. So the idea of a DIY frame isn't particularly intimidating. 

Then there is this YouTube documentary about dogs and sidecars.  I must admit, this hit me like a stack of bricks.  Pnut, my son's service dog is an amazing companion when not working so any excuse I have to bring him along, I do. 

The set up details are fairly well documented online.  The customization with a leading link front suspension and the use of auto tires is something I need help understanding. 

It will be interesting to see in this can be mounted to my S, I expect from the images of the DMC kit that the case fairing must be removed? Two bolts, no big deal.   

I wonder if there are actual plans out there for one of these rigs? 

I saw one custom rig that utilized a monolever from a K for the sidecar suspension with a curved tub arching around to meet the top of the shock...very clever in deed.

Ok back to work.  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Not sure about the car body yet...rolling dog house? ..I like the Kenna model ate the DMG site.
  • Livingston WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 1994 K75S ,1985 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade, dreaming of adding a sidecar to the mix in 2019
Doing “better than I deserve”

Online Rcgreaves

Re: DIY Sidecar
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »
THis showed up on Milwaukee craigslist  Right in Johnnies back yard:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mpo/d/wautoma-jawa-sidecar/6811845811.html

• 1994 K75S ,1985 GL1200A Goldwing Aspencade, dreaming of adding a sidecar to the mix in 2019

Online Rcgreaves

Re: DIY Sidecar
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 07:42:29 PM »
 Kudos to Keith for a top drawer packing job on this DMG mount kit.  I have everything less the rear shock , and brake caliper for the sidecar suspension so welding up the frame should prove less challenging than the bits in hand.  Time to scrounge tubing.  I'm thinking a roll bar and cage are in order. 

Tags: