Author Topic: POLL: Thinking of selling my Brick, what’s it worth?  (Read 10300 times)

Offline DJEwen

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
POLL: Thinking of selling my Brick, what’s it worth?
« on: February 05, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
I’m thinking about selling the Brick next month to fund something else in my life.

I’m not really sure what it’s worth to be honest and I’m looking for advice. I’m under no illusions that they are no gold mines and I’m not looking to profit at all. That being said, those of you who have followed the build know that I’ve gone to the trouble of going through the whole bike, nut and bolt and this isn’t the average slapped together rattle can job, each component has been split, inspected, replaced where needed, bearing replaced, seals replaced, rebuilt callipers etc, etc, etc. For those of you that are unfamiliar, the project thread is here: http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10875.0.html you’ll find the specs of motogadget and Acewell, BEP etc etc here.

The owner of the shop that MOT’d the bike also builds and sells bikes and he reckoned it was worth between $9,000-$14,250 or £7,000-£11,000. Trevor Diston or @Distang on Instagram who followed the build there and builds a K roughly every month felt $9,000 or £7,000 was conservative. Sir Ulrich by NCT Motorcycles which first inspired me to build a K and a not dissimilar build sold for €19,000/$21,700/£16,750- appreciate they are a huge name in bike builds!

There’s on for sale here for £15,000 and has been for a long time: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173450151817

Then another that’s not as well built by far for £5000: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113547493729

1985 BMW K100 LT, Bike has covered about 77,000km or 48,000miles.

• Scotland
  • 1985 K100 'Revive', 1987 K100 LT

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: POLL: Thinking of selling my Brick, what’s it worth?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 05:25:33 PM »
in my book, bone stock low mileage gets top dollar.  Nice custom, someone may up the ante but I can't see it anywhere near the prices you're considering.  Maybe things are different across the pond.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
I’m thinking about selling the Brick next month to fund something else in my life.
I’m not really sure what it’s worth to be honest and I’m looking for advice.
How's it running and how much has it been run? Has it now outgrown colic and hiccups?

Having clear photos showing the condition of the transmission input splines, the driveshaft splines and the final drive input splines along with a notation of approximate mileage on them,and listing the  thickness dimensions of the brake discs, will go a long way to limiting bargaining from prospective buyers. Blessed are the listmakers; make yours a complete one but don't bother trying to tell people what the modifications cost you or how much work went into it. Nobody with money to spend is likely to be interested in storytime.

Have you totaled the cost of the original purchase along with parts used? Have you calculated the cost of your labor as an amateur customizer? You should, then add 30% on top of those costs to determine the selling price. That might be an eyeopener: it's a start anyway. You assert that you're not looking to profit at all. I think you'll probably recoup your outlay for the base moto and its new and modified parts when you finally sell it. You might even have enough to buy that used Wingsuit, only worn once, minor damage you're hankering after.

You could always consider contacting well-known sellers and builders to investigate their interest in a consignment deal. Your moto is a tidy and attractive example of modification. Market trends are fickle but, happily, people can be impulsive.

Good luck with the sale, and have no regrets when it's sold.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
In order to get top dollar you need to find someone who's idea of the perfect custom matches what you have built AND doesn't want to do the job himself.

All these cafe/scrambler conversions bring to mind a couple of neighbors I had in El Paso, TX almost 50 years ago.  They were a couple of Mexican brothers who built choppers in their shop near Roswell, NM on the weekend when they weren't doing plaster work on construction sites.  The bikes they built were absolutely beautiful.  They farmed out the chrome, upholstery, and paint to incredible craftsmen in Juarez.  The trouble was, they couldn't sell them for what the parts cost.  After a couple years they decided to just sell parts and custom tank painting.  The parts business not only boomed, but they could make more on a set of springer forks than they made on a complete bike.  They were able to sell a sissy bar, seat, and forks for more than they were able to get for a finished and running bike. 

They used to joke that one of the benefits of the parts business was that it allowed them to be seen as  "honest" businessmen who let other people worry about serial numbers on engines and frames.  They said it was nice that when cops came by the shop it was to buy something and not to run the numbers on their inventory.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:17 PM »
A few points:

- Why does anybody customize anything?  To make it just the way they want instead of “one size fits all”. 

- Why didn’t you buy a customized K instead of doing one for yourself?    Same, or similar, answer. 

- Relatively few can do a custom then sell it without taking a beating.  That’s with popular motorcycles.

- Basing a custom on a K?  Unless you are Roland Sands or a handful of others, you build it for the fun of building it because that’s all you’re going to get out of it.

- You made yours just how you like it.  You liked it so much you put it up for sale less than a year later. 

I doubt I just said anything you don’t already know, did I?   If any of that surprises you, well... good luck.    You sealed that bike’s fate when you cut it.

• Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 11:34:50 PM »
- Relatively few can do a custom then sell it without taking a beating. 

TRUE DAT!  Even restoring a classic to it's original glory is usually a labor of unrequited love.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Martin

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:57:43 PM »
Purchase price+ Cost of parts + Cost of labour= Sale price divided by 2 = reality
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Grant

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 11:15:25 AM »
A few points:

- Why does anybody customize anything?  To make it just the way they want instead of “one size fits all”. 

- Why didn’t you buy a customized K instead of doing one for yourself?    Same, or similar, answer. 

- Relatively few can do a custom then sell it without taking a beating.  That’s with popular motorcycles.

- Basing a custom on a K?  Unless you are Roland Sands or a handful of others, you build it for the fun of building it because that’s all you’re going to get out of it.

- You made yours just how you like it.  You liked it so much you put it up for sale less than a year later. 

I doubt I just said anything you don’t already know, did I?   If any of that surprises you, well... good luck.    You sealed that bike’s fate when you cut it.

So ......... what do you think it is worth? That was the original question. I spent about a half hour looking at North American prices, a stock K bike is going from about $500 USD to $6,000 USD for the very best example I could find, the custom K bikes start at about $5,000 for a decent mod and go up to $12,000.
  • Abbotsford BC Canada
  • 1984 K100 0005895

Offline Nine80seven

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 11:19:02 AM »
FWIW, I never do something to a bike that cannot be put back.  And always because the bike will git me down the road in a better way than stock.  Before starting any project, from buying to finish, expect what the PO said or did is completely false and wrong, and will need to be analyzed and fixed. Damn the price because it's used and the price is negotiable and cheap.  It's the parts you need that cost.  Don't even try counting the hour cost.  Last PO asked, whadda ya gonna do with the bike.  I said, take it apart, to which he scratched his head.  I ain't riding nothing somebody else has fettled.  Two cents.

Yer scoot is really nice.  Nice job.  Ride it for what it is.  It's got a good look to it.  What's it worth is completely subjective, as is anything done to a bike.  Bikes are not investments unless you bought a Crocker in the mid fifties.  But who knew?  Or an '84 Beemer GS.  Whooda thunk it.  My bikes are gonna be maintained, ready to ride when I want, in the garage, for as long as I want.  And my kid can figger out what to do with'em.  Whadda they worth?  Never give it a thought.  Or donate to a vet organization.  Wounded warriors and such. 

• MN
  • 85 K100RS

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 12:36:06 PM »
So ......... what do you think it is worth? That was the original question. I spent about a half hour looking at North American prices, a stock K bike is going from about $500 USD to $6,000 USD for the very best example I could find, the custom K bikes start at about $5,000 for a decent mod and go up to $12,000.

I don’t know how anyone can make a fair guess without knowing more.  I won’t because I don’t know his local market, or if he is trying to sell locally, regionally, nationwide, etc.  A custom K will bring a different amount in Southern California than in North Dakota or Lancaster PA.  Where he is?  No idea. 

$5k to $12k?  I don’t think I’m stepping more than an inch out onto a limb to say he’ll never see $12,000.   I’ll step another inch or two out and say unless it came out of a handful of “name” shops, I doubt there are more than two or three custom Ks on the planet that will bring that.  Advertised for that much, sure.  Bring?  Nope. 

Then again, somewhere in the world, there is one person who wants that exact thing the OP has, and is walking around with a pocket full of cash.   
Getting them together is the trick.   
And that’s Part Two of why I’m not guessing: Because I don’t know how hard the seller is willing to work at marketing this creation of his.   For all I know he plans to place an ad in a local paper with a circulation of 300, in February, in which case if done here, he’d be waiting a while for a nibble if priced at $500.  It happens (more often than $12,000 custom K sales), and the sellers wonder why. 

Or are you really asking what I would pay? 
I’ll give you a hint- Read my signature line.   Had it been stock, anywhere from $500 to 3k.  Now, I’d deduct a minimum of a thousand bucks per loop cut. 
But that’s me. 

All goofing around aside:
I’d suggest he look at what he paid for the two bikes he combined to make it, ask a little more, but hope to get back what he bought them for.  If he can get more, be happy.  If he can’t get that, don’t be too disappointed. 

As much as I like Ks, the fact remains its a mid-80s motorcycle that never was that popular.  This one was made running from two non-runners, and personalized.  It seems to be his first effort.  He is selling it (lost interest?) within a year of starting the project. 
Nothing there should make anyone stand up and take notice. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline bocutter Ed

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 02:08:23 PM »
Let me try again.
What will it bring where he is?   No idea. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline K1300S

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »

looking at prices is pointless.  prices listed are what the seller WANTS for it, not what someone would PAY for it.  unfortunately data for what things actually SELL for is generally unobtainable.

what you bike is worth is hard to guess.  a stock bike is a know quantity.  as far down the custom road as yours is severly limits the potential number of buyers.  you won't know until you throw a number on it, and target the advertising, then adjust number downward the more desparate you are to sell it.  high probablity is that it will not be a quick sale unless the number is really low.
Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »
It all boils down to: it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, plain and simple....
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 09:55:47 PM »
Heard from about everyone except the OP.  Interested to see what it actually sells for
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
sold 6/23

Offline Blue

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »
My preference is this custom brick moto over the other custom bricks on this site.  With that being said, my cash money offer is $1650 USD.

When you accept my offer, I will have Lew Alcindor tic over the engines on the Seven Oh Seven and set the controls for the heart of Old Caledonia.

• Stovepipe Wells CA
  • 1995 K1100RS

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »
My preference is this custom brick moto over the other custom bricks on this site.  With that being said, my cash money offer is $1650 USD.

When you accept my offer, I will have Lew Alcindor tic over the engines on the Seven Oh Seven and set the controls for the heart of Old Caledonia.

Holy Mack'rel dere, Andy!  $1650 is a lot more than your usual $35 offer!  Did you win the Powerball or something?
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
greetings...

we have ridden with blue several times... he is a mushroom farmer in death valley... at least he used to be a mushroom farmer in death valley back in our era of riding every weekend...

now im trying dig out my truck from this enormous drift near the shores of the big lake they call gitche gumee...

* 20190208_151531.jpg (31.93 kB . 576x576 - viewed 700 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline natalena

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 04:32:29 PM »
my cash money offer is $1650 USD.

JUMP ON THIS OFFER, especially since it isn't conditioned on including the original pieces to return the brick back to stock.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Blue

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 12:41:03 PM »
My offer includes all originals and all spares.

* bluemushrooms.jpg (16.43 kB . 768x401 - viewed 669 times)
  • Stovepipe Wells CA
  • 1995 K1100RS

Offline bocutter Ed

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »
My offer includes all originals and all spares.
Who pays the freight ... from Scotland to?
  • Toronto, Canada
  • '61 Puch DS60 - '66 Puch 250 SGS - '87 BMW K75s

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 02:29:09 PM »
I assumed freight was figured into Blue’s offer.  $35 plus $1615 freight. 
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 03:35:02 PM »
I assumed freight was figured into Blue’s offer.  $35 plus $1615 freight.

Blue never offers to pay shipping.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline Barry in IN

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »
I couldn’t otherwise figure out his generous offer.  But just now I saw the bike lift in a couple of pictures.  Blue must fancy that lift. 

I’ll go $40 on that lift.  Delivered/shipped.
  • Indiana
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline oneplustwo

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 07:35:15 PM »
I really think it’s a matter of right buyer at the right time.  Someone mentioned it earlier I think.  Ultimately, if you’re patient, you might get something approaching what you’ve invested or maybe a little more.  I would be surprised if you got close to the five figure mark though.
  • San Francisco
  • 1990 K75S (in 1000 pieces)

Tags: