Author Topic: This Is The EPIC Soggs 92K75 MAGA Thread  (Read 92550 times)

Offline Soggz

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • 2 wheels are better than 4,but 4 wheels,2 bikes...
Re: This Is The EPIC Soggs 92K75 MAGA Thread
« Reply #700 on: October 03, 2019, 08:25:04 AM »
The first set probably were parkerized or some such to prevent corrosion while the replacement wasn't.

I would contact Motobins for heat treat instructions.
Hi.
Just got in from work, and here they are!
  • Down in Selwood Forest
  • 1986 K75C, 1982 Honda CX500EC Eurostreetbrat
One More Of These,One Less Of Those...

Offline Soggz

« Reply #701 on: October 03, 2019, 08:33:27 AM »
The first set probably were parkerized or some such to prevent corrosion while the replacement wasn't.

I would contact Motobins for heat treat instructions.
Emailed Motobins. They say they don’t know of any ‘hardening’ process involved with these.
  • Down in Selwood Forest

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #702 on: October 03, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
The edge of a metal file will easily cut a notch in an unhardened part but not in a hardened part. Email them for instructions covering how the parts are welded together. Hardened and mild steel parts are welded together similarly as cast iron parts are welded. Temperature is raised to a level based on the metals involved, the parts are welded then cooled slowly. Specific welding rods or filler wire are used. Close finish fit of the driveshaft and pinion gear shaft is essential for reasonable lifespan of the parts.

What happened to the lubrication of the splined sleeve? Did much of it migrate onto the silicone plug?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.

Offline Soggz

« Reply #703 on: October 03, 2019, 12:07:15 PM »
The edge of a metal file will easily cut a notch in an unhardened part but not in a hardened part. Email them for instructions covering how the parts are welded together. Hardened and mild steel parts are welded together similarly as cast iron parts are welded. Temperature is raised to a level based on the metals involved, the parts are welded then cooled slowly. Specific welding rods or filler wire are used. Close finish fit of the driveshaft and pinion gear shaft is essential for reasonable lifespan of the parts.

What happened to the lubrication of the splined sleeve? Did much of it migrate onto the silicone plug?
Dunno about the migration. I’ve only just done the silicone plug, and put it back together.
  • Down in Selwood Forest

Tags: