Author Topic: ATTN cold weather gear users- how are the USB vests?  (Read 7975 times)

Offline DavidATL

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
ATTN cold weather gear users- how are the USB vests?
« on: January 22, 2019, 06:27:01 AM »

I am thinking of making my own heated undershirt with a long sleeve T-shirt and set of these bonded to the outside:

* Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 5.57.37 AM .png (33.57 kB . 592x576 - viewed 501 times)

$10 + $7 shirt + USB battery that I already have.

Maybe bond a set of these between two identical shirts.

I like DIY plus I can put the pads where *I* want them for a motorcycle application. I'd like them on my chest area and maybe the front of the upper arms. One on the back should be fine. Most of the vests seem to have the pads low on the front,  down near the pockets, and central upper back. I don't know about your riding style, but I don't use pockets much when I am in motion.

Looks like most of the USB vests draw maybe 2 amps for a total of 10W. A traditional 12V heated vest will draw up to 6A for 72W. The new-tech foil may be more efficient than wires but I have a hard time believing that a 10W can keep you as warm as 72W. Then again LED lighting...

Any comments from those that have tried a USB powered heated accessory?

• Atlanta
  • K75RT '92 w/ 28k miles (former bikes: '82 FT500, 80's GL500 Silverwing, 550 Nighthawk and FINALLY an '88 K75S) https://georgiaroads.wordpress.com including my #GA4corners route

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: ATTN cold weather gear users- how are the USB vests?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:05:51 AM »
Most of the vests seem to have the pads low on the front,  down near the pockets, and central upper back. I don't know about your riding style, but I don't use pockets much when I am in motion.
An important and effective location for warmers is over each kidney. The kidneys are purifying and recirculating blood. Heating them is an effective way to send warmer blood circulating throughout your body.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »
An important and effective location for warmers is over each kidney. The kidneys are purifying and recirculating blood. Heating them is an effective way to send warmer blood circulating throughout your body.

an excellent point. Thanks!
  • Atlanta
  • K75RT '92 w/ 28k miles (former bikes: '82 FT500, 80's GL500 Silverwing, 550 Nighthawk and FINALLY an '88 K75S) https://georgiaroads.wordpress.com including my #GA4corners route

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:55:29 AM »
I have done a fair bit of cold weather touring(600-700 mile days at 32-40 degrees F).  I had a Heated jacket from Gerbings and didn't like it because it fit so snug it was uncomfortable for long days.  Heated gear has to be snug to be efficient.  I sold it.

What I do now is layer with fleece.  The Army has some extreme cold weather stuff that works really well. 

I have a First Gear Kilimanjaro touring jacket and pants that are a bit oversize.  I put the liner in the jacket and then use the following layers depending on how cold it is:

The first layer is close fitting polypropylene long underwear and a pair of thick wool blend socks

The second layer is fleece long underwear.  A fleece pullover with a zip up turtleneck goes over that.  These two layers are good to about 40-45 degrees.

For temperatures down to freezing I add a pair of surplus extreme cold fleece pants liners.  These have suspenders and cover up to my chest, keeping my kidneys warmer.  They come with zippers that make it possible to completely separate the front from the back.  I found them to be a bit large, so I had my wife remove the zippers and take them in a little so they fit in my riding pants.

The fleece is amazingly warm and the layers allow me to adjust to the temperature.  With a loose fitting riding jacket it's easy to move in them and they don't feel as tight as the heated jacket.   An added bonus is that you have a lot of padding if you have a crash(I found that out the hard way).

• In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »
I would consider the opposite end of the body. Also Army based experience, with keeping the "pink parts protected" in sub freezing. #1 keep the wind off your chicken tender, #2 keep the dingles warm, and the rest of your body will follow suit. We would use heater packs slid down the trouser front when moving, and sleep with a hot Nalgene between the legs (which you drink the water / pee in it afterwards / rinse out in AM / repeat for next night). The heater panels in front of the groin would be Nirvana, and put a smile on the face.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
We would use heater packs slid down the trouser front when moving, and sleep with a hot Nalgene between the legs (which you drink the water / pee in it afterwards / rinse out in AM / repeat for next night).
Reads like a formula for crotch rot. :giggles 

If the body's core—heart, lungs, kidneys—and the large blood vessels in the neck are well insulated, the outer parts that are insulated will cool more slowly. This is where Gryph's layering is effective by creating air spaces that reduce the speed of heat dissipation. If the core starts cooling quickly because it isn't insulated well enough and/or heat is being drawn from it by contact with wind or cold surfaces, how your gonads feel might not be an issue because hypothermia and surviving your decisions created by cold-stupidity will be occupying your time. Having warm gonads at the time of death might be a comfort though.
  :yippee:

Apart from body insulation, personal cold tolerance is a function of physical conditioning, genetics and attitude combined. Somebody with a heart strengthened by regular aerobic exercise is likely to be more comfortable in cold than others.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:24:32 PM »
...make sure you getts a heating pad on your taint...
Assisted Living here I come. A fleece seat pad is less foreshadowing. :giggles

I have a Gerbings electric vest. It's snug but not restrictive and works well. It's comfortable fit was just good luck in action. The comfort of any layering or insulation seems to depend upon how outer riding gear fits. I have only one set of outer gear I use from May to November—an Olympia Motoquest festooned with 23 zippers, now modified by Olympia and sold as the X-Moto. The jacket is loose enough to wear a cooling vest beneath it with all its vents open in the summer or, with its vents closed, an electric vest or jacket and layers beneath it in cold weather.

One effective and costly item that I use is an Aerostich windshirt. Wearing it reduces the number of layers I use for comfort in cool weather and it stows easily in my tank bag.

WarmNSafe is good stuff for serious riders who are able to ride throughout cold or frigid winters.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »
Thanks for the info and humor as well. Always entertaining.

For *my* situation, this would be an arrangement of heaters specific to my bike and where I get cold. Shoulders, arms, and hands. My torso not so much (k75RT w/ 20" Parabellum in the winter).

I am still researching USB powered gear to determine if it's 'real' or insufficient in a 70+ mph wind.
  • Atlanta

• Administrator
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline natalena

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 12:14:49 AM »
Well, what do I know? Spent 2 back to back patrols on a glacier/mountain range, and didn't see green for 8 weeks in -20 to 10f static (yes, in teeny double wall mountain tents). Still burpin' and chirpin' and still teaching SAR/Survival after all those outings. Extreme examples demonstrate fundamentals that work. Not knocking anyone, just pointing out that in cold weather, mobility and coordination counts, especially when operating equipment and staying cognitively alert. Core temp is a lot more manageable (peripherally) than most people think.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 12:32:39 AM »
I'm for layering, ski gear, hippo hands, big windshield with hand protection, pinlock. Have an aversion to electrical assist for some reason. Oh, a third wheel helps when it gets slippery. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 06:39:45 AM »
This stuff looks very interesting.

https://www.bestproducts.com/fitness/clothing/news/a150/columbia-omni-heat-technology-review/

Thanks for this lead. I’m going to try one of these. If not enough, the one I bought is big enough to add heated pads underneath.
  • Atlanta

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »
greetings...

i gotts the omni heat... well actually the salvation army has it now... jacket hat gloves... they were a gift...

all the zippers broke within a few months... what a pos... omni heat... right... p o s...

those space blankets work 100%... the omni heat is just marketing...

you wanna know what works... wool... not marketing...

j o

How about the zipless base layer stuff?  That's what I'm looking at.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 09:08:51 AM »
Main features I looked for were short or no zipper and thumb holes. This is the one I bought in fleaBay. A bit oversized for me but gives room.

We’ll see.

ps - Stertch? Friend of yours, Johnny?

* 9CF75BF6-B120-4BA7-9BBB-69B08D0716BE.jpeg (34.56 kB . 496x576 - viewed 463 times)
  • Atlanta

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
greetings...

use in sentenence...

haint that taintilator 4 way stertch spacealienfabric engineered to keep the stertch off your taint and in the denatured feck...

j o

My taint prefers to stay stertch-free.
  • Atlanta

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 11:03:58 AM »
My taint prefers to stay stertch-free.
You can lead a hoe to denatured feck but you can't imbue taint-regard.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 05:38:54 AM »
Then there is this...

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-carbon-tape-heated-vest/

Carbon impregnated tape, 19 ohm / meter.

https://www.carbonheater.us

* Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 5.35.05 AM .png (33.97 kB . 768x349 - viewed 392 times)
  • Atlanta

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 11:38:05 AM »

https://www.bestproducts.com/fitness/clothing/news/a150/columbia-omni-heat-technology-review/

All hail The Mighty Gryphon for his suggestion! I recently bought partial zip omni-heat shirt and tried it out today. Well worth the $20 I paid. Wore it as the second of four layers and I was sweating at 42F outside until I got moving. Nice!

The four layers are: Champion long sleeve w/ thumbholes, the Omni-heat with thumbholes, sweatshirt, my trusty Black Brand fully perforated jacket.
  • Atlanta

Offline alabrew

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »
"my trusty Black Brand fully perforated jacket.”  ???

I would think something to block the wind like a rain jacket over or under that perforated jacked would make a HUGH difference in warmth.

I wear a long sleeved t shirt with a down sweater under a Gore-Tex jacket. Riding the RS, only on the interstate do I which for some more insulation on the chest, and if much colder than 40, I’ll put on the electric vest under the sweater.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
"my trusty Black Brand fully perforated jacket.”  ???
It's the homeopathic approach.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline jakgieger

• itinerant farmer
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 09:45:45 AM »

MG, tried a jacket (omni heat).  Did not work for me.  I think that for it to work you better be moving with a full belly.  I think it was geared for a twenty year-old snowboarder...but then I use Canada Goose when I am operating machines (daily) on the farm.  At -10 last week I was able to perform :johnny .
  • Kansas USA
  • 1989 K100rs se
"What we've got here is failure, to communicate.  Some men, you just cain't reach.  So you get what we had here last week.  Which is the way he wants it...Well, he gets it.  I don't like it any more than you men do."

Offline mw074

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 08:26:49 PM »
Nothing, in my opinion, beats Gerbing or Widder for heated gear. I have tried other manufacturers, but they don't compare. Widder is out of business, but used can be found. I live in Michigan. Thousands of miles in freezing weather has proven this.
  • Michigan

Offline DavidATL

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 06:25:59 AM »
Nothing, in my opinion, beats Gerbing or Widder for heated gear. I have tried other manufacturers, but they don't compare. Widder is out of business, but used can be found. I live in Michigan. Thousands of miles in freezing weather has proven this.

These are the best!

I ended up going with a used Widder vest as part of a three layer set up. Base layer T-shirt, Widder vest, Omni Heat over shirt as suggested by TMG (thanks again). I leave the Widder unzipped and the super stretchy Omni over shirt keeps everything just the right snug but not restrictive at all. I can move and breath with ease. Been great so far!

• Atlanta

Tags: