Author Topic: Does anyone know what these fittings are?  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Sticklebrick

• Motobrick Curious
Does anyone know what these fittings are?
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
Hi guys

My bike is a BMW K75 RT (750cc) EU spec with ABS (year 1994).

I am replacing the OEM rubber pipes that ran from the metal ABS lines - one of the old rubber OEM lines went to the Master Cylinder, and the other old rubber OEM line went to the Front RH Brake Caliper. Neither of these lines attach directly to the ABS, but instead attach to the metal ABS lines (see below paragraph).

There are 2 OEM metal ABS lines factory-fitted as part of the ABS system, these run in parallel from the ABS Modulator on the side of the bike under the tank and towards the front of the motorcycle (one "send", one "return"). These terminate up under the yoke with a male fitting each. Both of the male fittings on these 2 metal lines are identical.

I need 2 hoses, 1 "send" and 1 "return" line.

(1) "Send" line: from the Master Cylinder to the metal ABS line under the Yoke. One one end, a standard 10mm female connector that fits a banjo 10mm off the M/C .... at the other end the (as yet unknown!) female connector to attach to the metal ABS line male connector as described above. This line to be 35 cm (I will double-check the length to be absolutely sure, before ordering).

(2) "Return" line: from the Front RH Caliper to the metal ABS line under the Yoke. One one end, a standard 10mm female connector that fits a banjo off the Caliper .... at the other end the (as yet unknown) female connector to attach to the metal ABS line male connector. This line to be 55 cm (I will double-check the length to be absolutely sure, before ordering).

The unknown connectors .... they look I/D 10mm to me, but what thread spec I don't know. They look more like something off a car, PLEASE SEE PICS and let me know if you recognise these fittings!

ORDER OF PICS:

1. ABS "Send" (male)

2. ABS "Return" (male)

3. Caliper Banjo (male)

4. Master Cylinder Banjo (male)

5. Old Hose connection (female) to ABS "Return"

6. Old Hose connection (female) to ABS "Send"

It's pics 5 & 6 that show the (unknown to me) connectors.

Many thanks again,

Steve
  • Northern Ireland
  • K1100 LT 1992 (ABS has left the building)

Offline Sticklebrick

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Does anyone know what these fittings are?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:16:33 PM »
Hi Johnny

No I don;t have any new hoses yet, nobody I have talked to knows what the 2 old hoses are, and I haven't found them listed on the usual microfiche/parts catalogues on line.

There may be some confusion among K-owners about these hoses, as to my mind they would only apply to bikes after the discontinuation of the T-pipe/Y-pipe "brake distributor".

So my question is, what is the spec of these hoses so I can order them!

Many thanks,

Steve

• Northern Ireland

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
. . . nobody I have talked to knows what the 2 old hoses are, and I haven't found them listed on the usual microfiche/parts catalogues on line.
Is this one of the usual microfiche/parts catalogues you use? I believe I see them in the Anti-Block System (ABS) diagram and its parts list under Brakes.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Sticklebrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
Hi Laitch

No I hadn;t seen that one and you're absolutely right those are the hoses, part nos 1 and 5 in Diagram #34_0636.

This also illustrates that I should be clearer in my original posting!  Although this identifies the hoses, what I am trying to do is make 2 stainless steel braided hoses to replace these - hence why I want to know what the end fittings are.

Others may have views on whether or not there is much point in braided hoses here, but I think it might be an improvement.

Thanks again

S
  • Northern Ireland

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:02:15 PM »
This also illustrates that I should be clearer in my original posting!  Although this identifies the hoses, what I am trying to do is make 2 stainless steel braided hoses to replace these - hence why I want to know what the end fittings are.
You were clear enough to me. I just wanted to verify what you were seeking. Email MAX BMW, Spiegler or Galfer and maybe they'll let you know.

Do you have much experience making brake lines?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Sticklebrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 04:59:07 PM »
I should have said "have made for me", but yes I used to make brake lines for cars (copper brake line, mainly for hydraulic Citroens using LHM) although I wouldn't attempt these!  Thanks for your help guys, I will use that reference no to get the 2 braided hoses made up! 

All the best,

Steve
  • Northern Ireland

Offline Scott_

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »
What I see in the images that does not appear stock is that the banjo fitting has a "schrader" style threaded fitting on it, and one of the hoses has the fitting to thread onto it.

Sticklebrick, you may have to just get new hoses with the banjo fitting permanently attached to the hose(like in the fiche #5 pic), I see it as one less joint to leak....and more than likely way more readily available....

I bought Spiegler braided lines for mine.
  • My Garage
1995 K1100LT 0302044
1997 R1100RT ZC62149
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (R.I.P.)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
greetings...

i think i know whats going here... those look like air bleeders for a hot water heating system...

has this moto been cafed or fightered or scramblered... poast of some photos of this moto...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Sticklebrick

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »
Hi Scott

Yes I agree 100%, I am going to remove the Banjo bolts, and the new braided hoses I have ordered should fit directly to the M/C and Caliper from each respective ABS line.  Johnny you've got me thinking there, but the bike is otherwise standard RT (ABS) EU spec ...
  • Northern Ireland

Offline Martin

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 12:32:44 PM »
In OZ I can go down the road to the local brake shop and get them made up virtually on the spot, at a good price. Half to a third of the price the local motorcycle shop charges.  He'll do a OEM copy in the rubber or steel braided. My neighbor has a mobile business doing any sort of lines fitted to any sort of vehicle.
Regards Martin.

* Daves Hydraulic Mobile 1.png (80.99 kB . 768x576 - viewed 285 times)
* Daves Hydraulic Mobile 2.png (61.82 kB . 767x576 - viewed 287 times)
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Tags: