Author Topic: lurching  (Read 2092 times)

Offline jmanfdog

• Curious
lurching
« on: January 10, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »
Hi

My bmw k75 1994 has a lurching problem. 88,000 miles, third owner. At first I thought the lurching was just cracks in the road. But I came to the realization that it kind of went faster for a mila second then returned to normal speed. I had the head gasket replaced because it was smoking after sitting and having a oil change and I thought that the problem might go away after that but it hasn't. Now it has more of a burnt crayon smell, little to no smoke tho, but the exhaust has a burnt crayon smell. I can live with the burnt crayon smell but the lurching seems like something to definitely check into.

I searched around on the form and can't find exactly the same problem, mostly because I can't think of what to call it besides lurching.

I'm not that technically inclined per say but I'm also not mechanically retarded ether. I'm thinking of doing a cross country trip this summer If I can get my bike in a better condition. Besides that the bike is really flawless ( left side indicators just stopped working but I'm sure that won't be too hard to figure out and the tac died a while ago but w.e)

thanks a lot for the time
  • Hawaii
  • Bmw k75 1994

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: lurching
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
"surging" might be the term you're searching for, thought that is usually associated with R11xx bikes than K bikes.  Things that come to mind, vacuum leaks on intake boots or cracked lines, water in gas (run a can of gas dryer) buildup of crud on in air metering flap is a possibility.  Add some Techtron for a couple tanks and run the wheels of it.
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:56:57 PM »
I had the head gasket replaced because it was smoking after sitting and having a oil change and I thought that the problem might go away after that but it hasn't.
I'm not that technically inclined per say but I'm also not mechanically retarded ether.
Besides that the bike is really flawless ( left side indicators just stopped working but I'm sure that won't be too hard to figure out and the tac died a while ago but w.e)
You've created a new definition of flawless–having flaws, more or less.  :clap:

Some K-motos smoke on startup, especially if they've been parked on their side stands. That kind of smoking ends once underway. Nothing to do with the head gasket.  Head gasket problems are as rare as esters of burnt crayon. Do you have young children that have access to the moto? If you do, inventory their crayons and let's get to the bottom of this.

Along with Chaos's suggestions, take a look at the z-shaped crankcase breather tube the connects the crankcase to the air box. Check your air cleaner to see it's clogged or its intake tube is clogged.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:08:33 PM »
greetings...

lemme call that in...

* L1.jpg (19.44 kB . 407x550 - viewed 196 times)

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Tags: