Author Topic: GPS unit suggestions  (Read 9441 times)

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
GPS unit suggestions
« on: November 15, 2018, 04:20:56 PM »
With a birthday coming up, and my wife thinking the "road directions penciled on paper and taped to the tank" is a bit low brow, I'm looking at GPS units for the brick. Any suggestions for inexpensive/moderate priced units that can take the weather and vibrations of the road for the K75s? I don't need super fancy, as I still use a slide rule and phone that doesn't get pictures, so if it tells me "turn Right" or "turn Left" in a sexy British accent, I'm down for it.  Cheers!
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline alabrew

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
Re: GPS unit suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 04:52:22 PM »
Motorcycle units are very $$$. I went with a car unit instead for about $100 with lifetime maps and traffic. Traffic only works with their speaker plug but I use it without on the bike powering just by usb. I just pack it away in the rain but I know others who put a ziplock bag over it for rain. I can replace several of these units for the cost of a MC rated one.
  • Birmingham, Alabama
  • 1985 K100, 1991 K100RS
Also:
2005 K1200LT
1979 R65
200,000 miles on BMW motorcycles

Offline riots100

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:54:17 PM »
I just use Waze or Google Maps on the Smart Phone.  Maybe use the money to upgrade your phone instead.
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • 1992 K75, 2007 K1200GT, 1991 K100RS
----
BDJ

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
I have two Garmin Nuvi model 40LM units with lifetime US and Canada maps on my bikes.  The special models for Motobricks like the Zumo are way too expensive for my budget.

I have mine mounted on the bike with homemade mounts and hard wired them into the electrical system.  When it looks like rain, I pop it off the ball mount and put it into a plastic sandwich bag and put it back on the mount.  The bag gives very good protection from the rain, and yet I can still read the screen through it.

I get my units used on eBay for about $30-40. 

One nice thing about the "standard" Nuvi unit is that it is easy to get replacement batteries and touch screens.  The batteries on older units gradually lose their ability to store more than a few minutes of charge, and I lost a screen when I parked outside in a snow storm.  They are cheap and easy to replace with instructions on YouTube.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »
I have a Zumo 660. In three years, it hasn't had a single problem and I expect the same durability once I remove it from its box and mount it on my moto.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 03:40:30 AM »
I've been running a $120.00 Au Fodsport from Aliexpress. The power supply failed pretty well straight away, I sent emails explaining the the failure with no replies. So there is no backup with the supplier I used. However with a replacement power supply I already had, it hasn't missed a beat. It transmits to an FM radio that I have in my jacket pocket and has the ability to store music. The only other problem is that updates that are found are dearer than a new unit.http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7975.msg79503.html#msg79503
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Online caveman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 05:20:05 AM »
Sometimes I ride with people that have GPS units and they provide enough frustration for me that I don't have the desire to get my own.
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline natalena

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
Sometimes I ride with people that have GPS units and they provide enough frustration for me that I don't have the desire to get my own.

Thanks All for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.

Caveman, I hear you, and lean more towards a SENA headset that has group talk for that reason.

We'll shop the PX/BX and see what they have, and look at fleabay too. My wife is befuddled, bordering on curiously angry since I don't hesitate to spend 6k+ on boat electronics, but still make my own Spearguns because they're "too expensive" to buy.
  • MST

Offline K1300S

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 08:18:48 AM »
car units are fine...just use a sandwich baggie over it in the rain.  i use a garmin Nuvi.

custom mount bracket.  this is old version. i use a RAM ball mount on the bracket now.

Project Thread "K75s Midlife Refresh"
http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,7810.0.html

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 08:36:11 AM »
If you go Nuvi, and I highly recommend them, make sure you get the LM model with lifetime maps and make very, very sure you keep the maps up to date.  There seems to be a lot of road construction these days, and speed limit changes.  It's critical to keep up on those changes.

I took a trip out west last October, and because I didn't update my maps before I left I wound up making several wrong turns that cost me a lot of time and extra miles at times when I was trying to make time.

One of the really great uses for GPS is avoiding domestic stress.  On days when I am out exploring the roads south of where I live I set the destination for "Home" and then take off and wander wherever the road looks interesting.  When the GPS shows the arrival time to be when my wife wants me home for supper I just follow the directions and it gets me there right on time.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline natalena

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 08:57:51 PM »
A heartfelt thanks to all of the great direction comments to consider. TMG, I just got a 52LM on fleabay for less than 50 clams and near new condition. Marshall, I was thinking of the exact same mount on the dash cover (wondered about flexing), or making a bracket that comes up from the 2 bolts that hold the dash pad in place..RAM mounts for sure. Ziplocks and Foodsaver bags are a cornerstone of my life. :) Cheers
  • MST

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 10:06:18 PM »
Here's how i mounted a Nuvi 40LM on my k75S.  I cut the ball off a cheap suction mount and screwed it to a piece of bent aluminum.  I kept it low to avoid blocking my view of the instrument cluster.  I stuck the foam in there to tighten up the fit with the ball.  I have since replaced that ball with a better one and removed the foam.
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline K1300S

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 10:38:18 PM »
A heartfelt thanks to all of the great direction comments to consider. TMG, I just got a 52LM on fleabay for less than 50 clams and near new condition. Marshall, I was thinking of the exact same mount on the dash cover (wondered about flexing), or making a bracket that comes up from the 2 bolts that hold the dash pad in place..RAM mounts for sure. Ziplocks and Foodsaver bags are a cornerstone of my life. :) Cheers
i will post pic of current RAM mount on the bracket tomorrow.  the bracket is just a piece of bent 1/8in aluminum plate. no issues with flexing. the slightly higher mounting than gryph's allows easy access to the switches and does not block view of any instruments or warning lights.

Offline natalena

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
Thanks for the input and images guys. Having been on boats a lot, I'm a fan of RAM mounts, and will direct fix a ball mount to the dash plate (ala Marshall) with an aluminum backing plate. Power is via a USB dongle from the Battery Tender plug. Ziplocks are in the cowl space.

I like TMG low mount, as the soft dash only has plugs (no switches), and possibly there may be more room to angle the GPS for less glare. Scrapped the idea of mounting via the soft dash lower 5mm bolts and twisting the aluminum strap up the dash.. mock-up was too prone to movement, and would've been a wobble-fest. There is a way to make a big "U" mount to the lower soft dash bolts, but it'd be more of an exercise of "just to do it that way", no real improvement.
  • MST

Offline natalena

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2018, 07:24:45 PM »
Sort of cherry picked the best ideas. Used a direct mount RAM 1" ball, an extra 4" arm, and a 1"-17mm converter ball. Three hex button head 316ss, 5 x 12mm bolts, Rivnuts to the dash cover, for easy removal if need be. Quite secure and able to adjust low on the dash. I already had the arm and bolts, so the total cost was about $17.00

Not too pretty, but got the job done. Thinking of countersinking the RAM mount just to flush it...or keep the air space to let water dry quicker.

Cheers! 
  • MST

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »
Hey!  That looks pretty good!
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:

Past:

Offline mw074

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 08:24:36 PM »
A Garmin 765T and a Ram mount works for me. With this unit I know when I get a phone call.
  • Michigan

Offline K1300S

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 07:36:15 AM »
Sort of cherry picked the best ideas. Used a direct mount RAM 1" ball, an extra 4" arm, and a 1"-17mm converter ball. Three hex button head 316ss, 5 x 12mm bolts, Rivnuts to the dash cover, for easy removal if need be. Quite secure and able to adjust low on the dash. I already had the arm and bolts, so the total cost was about $17.00

Not too pretty, but got the job done. Thinking of countersinking the RAM mount just to flush it...or keep the air space to let water dry quicker.

Cheers! 

nice job!  i was remiss in not posting updated pics of my ram install.  similar to yours.  the GPS sits below the instrument cluster in my line of sight when riding, nothing is blocked.  i use the short 2in ram extension.

suggest replacing the stock garmin mount with one of the ram grabber style. much more secure and can be used with a cell phone if needed.

Offline natalena

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 07:04:20 AM »
Project completed. Ended up with a short circular RAM mount, 3x rivnuts to dash cover, 2" RAM arm, and 1" to 17mm Nuvi ball converter, 5ft USB cord along left side body panel (decreased heat exposure) to left seat panel (Charge Tender located there.) Thanks to all, as it's secure. The switch to 2" arm made a big difference, thanks Marshall for the idea. Cheers
  • MST

Offline Martin

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 02:22:29 PM »
I managed to mount mine off to the side using a handle bar clamp and a bit of modification. I can still see and operate all switches.[attachment
* GPS 2.jpg_thumb.png (611.77 kB . 768x576 - viewed 461 times)
* GPS 3.jpg (42.39 kB . 768x576 - viewed 485 times)

Offline natalena

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »
I managed to mount mine off to the side using a handle bar clamp and a bit of modification.

I considered the asymmetric look (on the clutch side). Nice work around to get the spacing for the switchgear. Does the hood really help?
  • MST

Offline Martin

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »
Washers were used initially to get the spacing right and were replaced by a piece of aluminium plate. The hood helps a little but would benefit from being larger. Handle bar clamp was from an old Go Cruise GPS.
Regards Martin.

Offline Gru

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 10:13:03 PM »
I use to use a paper map, write down the roads, then transfer them to my wind screen with grease pencil, and read them as I went along. But I can no longer find grease pencils, what’s up with that?
  • Village Mills
  • K75, "CB 500x, Versys 1000, W650, FZ 07
15 Versys 1000, 15 FZ 07, 13 CB500X,          02 W650, 95 K75

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 10:25:40 PM »
But I can no longer find grease pencils, what’s up with that?
You need to wear special glasses in order to find them on the Internet. Looking through bottom of a Dr. Pepper bottle sometimes works.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Martin

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 11:16:06 PM »
I too had trouble finding them I eventually had to order them through an office supply outlet (Office works). Nobody knew what I was talking about
also known as Chinagraphic or Chinagraph pencil. They can also be found in pottery supply shops. If you get your brick wiring diagram blown up and laminated they can be used to trace and mark onto the surface. Once you've finished they can be wiped down.
Regards Martin.

Tags: