Author Topic: New to the forum and two wheels  (Read 5656 times)

Offline almostordinary

• ^ Motobrick Curious
New to the forum and two wheels
« on: November 10, 2018, 06:37:04 PM »
Hi Just wanted to introduce myself, as I hope to gain a lot of knowledge with the members here and hopefully along this journey I get to help someone else out.

I haven't been on a bike in over a decade, and got the bug to take on a new project, and a perfect 91 k75s was for sale... and I snagged her up.

Looking to build a one of a kind cafe bike, and document the progress with you guys/gals.

Here are some pics of the bike thus far... hoping to learn a lot and make quite a bit of progress in the weeks to come.

Also, taking some private riding lessons to assure I am confident on the road once I complete this project.

Looking forward to making some strides here and learning from everyone!

-Ian

• Los Angeles
  • 1991 K75s

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Mars needs women!
Re: New to the forum and two wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 06:46:26 PM »
that bike looks too nice to make into a cafe.  The S is probably one of the most dependable, practical and versatile bikes BMW ever made.  I'd keep it stock and get some seat time to appreciated it as it is.  Also, K bike cafes rarely improve anything about the bike, and utterly ruin any value other than for parts. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Offline almostordinary

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 06:54:53 PM »
thanks for the warm welcome chaos, the bike is beautiful, but for my style I'm going to make a pretty tasteful cafe with her and enjoy it to the core, especially with the work I plan to put into it.
  • Los Angeles
  • 1991 K75s

Offline natalena

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
OMG, what a great condition S. Please for the love of all that is German engineered, rethink the need to conform to the LA herd of "look at me and my hippiest ride." Yep, lived in LA and San Diego ... yep, had a café racer, built up in 1980 from a XS650 basket case (pre-café craze). The bike is unbelievably tasteful as it is, those with sense will understand. Welcome aboard. :)
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 11:53:22 PM »
Welcome, almostordinary! Thanks for the introduction and the good quality photos included with it.

Start a thread in the Custom Motobricks section. Offer parts for sale in the FS WTB WTT  section as you work on your project and include photos of them. You probably won't need to wait too long for buyers.

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline holmesy

• Curious
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 04:35:59 AM »
Great pickup.
Build what you want. Don’t try and live up to anyone’s expectations other than your own. Will be following your build with interest.
And trust me, we’re not the first to do ANY of the mods you’re about to undertake. All information is here, you just have to do a little digging.
  • Melbourne, Australia
  • 1995 K1100LT, 2005 SV650S

Offline caveman

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:30:19 AM »
How much would it take (money) for everything you have taken off so far and the ABS brain (in rear cowl) and mirrors shipped to 16374.
Thanks, and good luck with your project!
  • Kennerdell, PA.
  • 87 K100RT, 88 K100LT

Offline The Mighty Gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
that bike looks too nice to make into a cafe.  The S is probably one of the most dependable, practical and versatile bikes BMW ever made.  I'd keep it stock and get some seat time to appreciated it as it is.  Also, K bike cafes rarely improve anything about the bike, and utterly ruin any value other than for parts.

Welcome!  I tend to agree with Chaos here.  These are great machines as they are.  Cafe conversions are essentially non-reversible and frequently represent a death sentence to a good machine as they are not used enough to keep all the moving bits happy.  A non-running custom bike usually ends it's life quietly rusting away in the corner of the garage while a well used bike in near original condition just keeps on accumulating miles.
  • In my garage in Marilla, NY
  • '91K100RS White/Blue
Current:
'91 K100RS16V "Moby Brick Too"

Past:
'94 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
'92 K100RS16V "Moby Brick" (RIP, deceased in a vehicular assault)
'94 K75S Special Edition Dakar Yellow "Cheetos"
'89 K100RS Special Edition "Special Ed"

Offline erik325i

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »
Welcome! I look forward to seeing the build.
  • Campbell
  • 85 K100rs custom

Offline Barry in IN

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 01:35:46 PM »
You have a motorcycle that looks, from the pictures at least, like the day it came from the factory 27 years ago.   Congratulations on the great find.  The K75s is a smooth running, versatile machine.  Naked, it’s still kinda sporty, and with bags it can tour OK.

Now you want to chop it up into less.
You want to Bubba it into yet another cafe “build”.   
Oh, I’m so excited.  I’m glad it stayed preserved so long so it could fall into your hands. 
But you haven’t been on a motorcycle in (at least) a decade, are completely new to Ks, and you know what’s best, so start hackin’!   

“One of a kind” you say?  Let me guess.  Stripped of fairing material, round led headlight, small led signals, Chinese instruments off eBay, a small gel battery so we can see through the battery space, chop the back end off, eliminate the fenders or put small ones on, and get a piece of plywood upholstered for a seat.  If you want to really complete the look, you’ll get tires that have the right “look” if not the right performance. 
Ta-Da!  There it is!
Well, that’s never been done before! 

Then the pay off.   Everybody gets to look at you!  Oh boy!  Attention!  Since it must not be about the ride. 
They’ll look.  And say “Why did he pick that thing to cafe mod?”

And within two years it will get ridden under 200 miles a year.
Then none. 
So you’ll try to sell it, and the one or two who come look will shake their heads and say “If I was doing a custom, I’d do my OWN custom” and walk away. 

So yeah, congratulations. 

Harsh?
Yes. 
So is hacking up nice old motorcycles.  And I’m getting tired of it. 
  • Indiana
  • 1992 K75S Lili Von Shtuppe
A pox on cafe “builders”

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »
greetings...

id rather saw the loop off and hack up a pristine specimen than a heap...

it might be just another starbucks also ran... butts at least id know it was a pristine classic before i f-ed all up...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline almostordinary

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
I think I’ll keep to reading and do a bit less posting. Thanks for the greetings.

All the best
  • Los Angeles
  • 1991 K75s

Offline johnny

• TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »
greetings almostordinary...

i caints speak for anybody butts me... and im completely serious about it... i would rather hack up a show room quality unit that some neglected bastardized piece of whack...

post up mang... i wanna watch the transformation...

j o
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline rdivy725

• ^ Motobrick Curious
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 07:49:23 PM »
almostordinary,

Welcome to the Brick forum. I have longed for a cafe racer and would love to own a ThruxtonR( too much for my budget right now!). Like you, I had aspirations of converting a K into a cafe racer after seeing two decent specimens at a Mods vs Rockers rally this past September. I already have a cruiser (Triumph T-Bird) and owned an old airhead years ago... I found a super clean '94 with 9300 miles and bought it. When it arrived...I couldn't chop it. I was delighted the way it was and I wanted to keep it original. Thats me. But this is your bike. I still love seeing what people do to these Ks, cafe, offroad, whatever. Its a great, solid platform to do it.  I follow their mods and customizations with envy, even though I know for me, this bike will stay true to its original design.
So, to each their own! I would love to see the transformation you have in store. This site is a wealth of knowledge and has already helped my with some maintenance items.

• Greater Pittsburgh Area
  • 1994 K75, 2002 R1150R, 2013 Triumph Thunderbird
1994 K75
2002 R1150R
2013 Triumph Thunderbird
Past: 71 R75/5

Offline kris

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 08:31:16 AM »
Almostordinary, bet you didn't see all that love comin', did ya'? The Brick is cool stock and can be off-the-scale customized properly. If you check some of the threads herein you will read praise heaped on some of the more talented converters. Their labours of love are things of beauty, to be sure. You follow your heart on this bike. You are FREE to choose her destiny. And if you f... up, you f... up. It's not the end of the world. My money is on you doing something great.  Who knows...maybe you'll find another Brick and keep that one stock.

As an old friend, Pete Flaherty, used to say - "You're a long time dead". Go for it!

From a guy with a stock '86 K100 RT (one of the uglier models, imho!) and I love her!
  • In The Hammer!! Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • 1986 K100RT (Heinz) 2004 Kawasaki Concours (Eddy) 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 (Linda) Previous: 1968 Honda CD175 1973 Kawasaki S2350 1975 Honda CB550K
"I got bike fever bad!!"

Offline Skunky

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 03:51:51 PM »
I think I’ll keep to reading and do a bit less posting. Thanks for the greetings.

All the best

Almostordinary. Keep on posting. It's your bike do whatever you want to it. Some of the Purists won't like it, but they will help you if your stuck. I took 18 months to build mine and use it daily (unless its raining, I have a car and I'm not a completed idiot). Some of the builds on here are awesome and you can't help but be inspired. I built from a neglected LT which in my opinion was ugly as F**k and as heavy too. Its now a much lighter thug of a bike and I love it. The engines are fantastically over-engineered and you cant really break them.
The K75 is a much lighter bike to start with and is a lot more desirable than the heavyweight tourer and it has a lot of fans on the forum who will sometimes sneer or make disparaging comments without remembering that you are only increasing the rarity and therefore value of their machines. Some of the most respected and active of forum members have built custom K's (present company not included because I'm British :neener:)  So you will have plenty of support.

Enjoy your build and share it with us.     
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt
Triumph Thruxton 900
Honda CB400F
Disagree Disagree x 2 View List

Tags: