Author Topic: Noob K-Bike Storage Build  (Read 5636 times)

Offline lbasberry21

• Curious
Noob K-Bike Storage Build
« on: October 30, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »
Hi All,  A year ago I joined the ranks of K-bike owners and have been lurking in the shadows here ever since. Very thankful that this site and community exist as anytime I'm stumped or at a problem I have always found the solution through the post in the forum. I am posting to show what I have done so far and to get some help with engine troubles I am having. I have many things I still want to do to the bike just trying to get it to a point where I can ride it around and work out the kinks.

So here we go!

1987 K-100 RT Two owner bike 26,XXX on the odometer, original owner dropped the bike in his garage and broke a lot of the fairings so he decided to sell after about 25,XXX miles. The second owner patched the bike and put about 1000 miles on before tear down. When I bought the bike it had been scattered into a thousand pieces through a basement, garage, and barn.

The PO has restored many bikes and had a fairly large collection so I took his word that the bike ran well before tear down.

Frame Paint:

Wheels, Forks, Gear Box, Swing Arm, & Final Drive Blacked Out +New handle bars:

Engine remounted, Lubed all splines before reassemble, clutch measured 5.1 mm, Cut rear frame  :nono for Unit Garage plate holder, mounted Unit Garage Headlight sub-frame, and fixed new seat.

New progressive suspension 412 shock:

New Acewell gauge & New OEM ignition switch (came with bike):

Covers all blasted and ready for paint - new gaskets with all & new bolt grommets:

I'm by no means an elechicken! This was the most tedious part of the bike.

And finally everything buttoned back up and ready to start riding! (or so I thought)

Problems Once fully Reassembled:

1.Fuel Rail hoses routed the wrong way= Had the supply side routed to the regulator then to the rail instead of supply to rail then rail to pressure regulator.
                http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,6689.msg45470.html#msg45470

2. Stuck Injector = replaced with 4 port injectors by suggestion from a K-bike builder.
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADED-Bosch-4x-Fuel-Injectors-for-BMW-K1-K100RS-K1100LT-K1100RS-K1200GT-K1200/112514603276?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

3. Erratic headlight & left turn signal = bad control switch 

4. Turn signals had a loud buzz and wouldn't flash = LED upgrade had to cut circuit board in flasher control unit.
                http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,659.0.html

5. No pressure building in rear brake = rebuilt rear master cylinder and works perfectly.

6. Clutch is "frozen" or wont disengage = not fixed yet, going to try some of the methods on here that have been mentioned to break it free before I disassemble again.

7. Won't idle then engine dies and wont start when warm. = I feel that this is a valve issue from the way it sounds, but haven't yet dove into the problem. Here is it running rough.

As you may see in the pictures I am building the bike in a storage unit while I rent an apartment! (Wife said no more mechanic projects on the kitchen counters!) So I only have limited time that I can work on the bike. That's why I'm here talking about it and researching while I can't physically be turning a wrench!

Any suggestions on number 6 & 7 would be greatly appreciated or feel free to ask any questions regarding the modifications.

Thanks
Landon
  • Cookeville, TN
  • 1987 K-100 RT

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
Re: Noob K-Bike Storage Build
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
Thanks for the photos. You seem to have cleaned parts as you worked and probably would have checked their condition but some verification would be useful. Here we go.

Regarding #7:
The fuel tank should be clean.
Fuel in the tank should be fresh.
The fuel lines and their connections within the tank should be new and should now be checked for integrity and tightness.
The fuel filter should be new.
The fuel pump's mechanical electrical connections should be verified for tightness.
The 4-pin connector to the fuel pump should be checked on both sides for continuity.
The air filter should be unobstructed.
All the air passages to the air box should be well connected
The air flow meter's electrical connection should be verified.
The coolant temperature sensor's wiring should be checked for integrity.
The coolant temperature sensor's response should be verified.
All the throttle body rubber intake tubes need to be checked for leaks and replaced if leaks are found. This would be while the engine is running although severe cracking of the rubber could be seen.
The crankcase vent z-tube needs to be checked for leaks and replaced if necessary.
The spark plug gaps should be verified.
The coil outputs should be verified.

Before starting, the valve clearances should have been checked and all items in the above list should have been reviewed. The valve clearances now should be measured and adjusted if necessary, the idle and throttle position set and the throttle bodies balanced.

Regarding #6:
The clutch pack was disassembled for inspection. How was it aligned during installation?
Did the transmission or engine housing have its two alignment dowels in place during attachment of the transmission to the engine?
Does the handlebar clutch lever move if the clutch cable is disconnected from the clutch arm?
Is the clutch arm itself seized?
Has the clutch arm adjusting bolt been backed off completely from contact with the clutch release assembly under the boot?

• Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline lbasberry21

• Curious
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »
Thanks for your response!

Drained varnish gas and cleaned inside of tank.
Replaced all rotted rubber
All new fuel lines inside and out with new clamps
New fuel filter
New fuel pump is operational
Four pin connector was cleaned and is working correctly
New air filter and all airways were cleaned
New clamps and new rubber on throttle body airways
Air meter electrical connections visually looked ok but haven’t metered them
Coolant sensor visually looked good but haven’t verified working
Throttle body boots were replace due to one ripped and one cracked when o purchased the bike
Z tube was dry rotted and replaced
New Spark plugs gaped and installed with new plug wires 
Coil output has not been metered however there is a fat blue spark on all 4 plugs

When I had the covers off for paint the cams and valves all visually checked out but I have yet to check clearances.

My next steps for the engine rough running is to.

Check valve clearances and look for stuck valves.
Then adjust throttle body tuning features.
Also going to do a once over for any where I could have an air leak.

Regarding #6
I used a clutch alignment tool that was recommended on the forum just bought one on eBay.
Yes the alignment dowels were in place when the two were mates back up
Yes the clutch lever free moves when disconnected from the cable
Clutch arm is free to move on it’s shaft
The adjustment bolt when backed out or all the way doesn’t disengage the clutch.

Thanks for you help!
Landon
  • Cookeville, TN
  • 1987 K-100 RT

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 11:22:40 PM »
Coolant sensor visually looked good but haven’t verified working
Yes the clutch lever free moves when disconnected from the cable.
When I had the covers off for paint the cams and valves all visually checked out but I have yet to check clearances.
How does a coolant sensor look when it looks good? There is a test for its baseline performance. If the sensor doesn't work correctly, the fuel mixture will be unsuitable for the engine's temperature.

A question was posed about whether the handlebar clutch lever moved freely when the cable was disconnected from the clutch arm, not when the cable was disconnected from the handlebar lever.

Your next steps for the engine's rough running seem good. It won't run well consistently after those steps if the coolant temperature sensor is faulty.

It seems like you'll need to check the clutch rod for damage and the clutch rod piston (or ball bearing if that's what's in there) and spring for function. If nothing is found among them then separate the transmission from the engine for investigation of the clutch assembly.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 11:32:40 PM »
Verify that you have the secondary coil wires connected to the correct spark plugs.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline Chaos

• Administrator
  • Mars needs women!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 12:23:44 AM »
pull the plugs again and see if 2 of them are wet or fouled.  That could narrow it down to an ignition or injector problem. 
  • sw ohio
1987 K75S    VIN 0231
Original owner, Original litter
200,000 miles (plus or minus) and 5 paint jobs
sold 6/23
2023 Ural 2WD sidecar (BMW's bastard step child)

Offline holmesy

• Curious
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »
Love what your doing with it mate. Keep up the good work!
  • Melbourne, Australia
  • 1995 K1100LT, 2005 SV650S

Offline billday

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 10:39:32 PM »
I want to know about that yellow pickup truck.
  • New York State, USA 10977
  • 1985 K100

Offline Laitch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 11:04:07 PM »
It looks like a '70s International Scout.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles

Offline lbasberry21

• Curious
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
How does a coolant sensor look when it looks good? There is a test for its baseline performance. If the sensor doesn't work correctly, the fuel mixture will be unsuitable for the engine's temperature.

A question was posed about whether the handlebar clutch lever moved freely when the cable was disconnected from the clutch arm, not when the cable was disconnected from the handlebar lever.

Your next steps for the engine's rough running seem good. It won't run well consistently after those steps if the coolant temperature sensor is faulty.

It seems like you'll need to check the clutch rod for damage and the clutch rod piston (or ball bearing if that's what's in there) and spring for function. If nothing is found among them then separate the transmission from the engine for investigation of the clutch assembly.

I was just stating that the temp sensor wasn't cracked/broken, Ill see if I can find the test you reference for checking the sensor.

And yes the lever moves freely when still connected to the lever but disconnected from clutch arm.

Thanks
Landon
  • Cookeville, TN
  • 1987 K-100 RT

Offline lbasberry21

• Curious
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
Verify that you have the secondary coil wires connected to the correct spark plugs.

Noob question which are the "secondary wires"? not familiar with that terminology!

Thanks
Landon
  • Cookeville, TN
  • 1987 K-100 RT

Offline lbasberry21

• Curious
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 01:44:07 PM »
pull the plugs again and see if 2 of them are wet or fouled.  That could narrow it down to an ignition or injector problem.

None fouled, #3 was a little darker but still has good spark.

Thanks
Landon
  • Cookeville, TN
  • 1987 K-100 RT

Offline lbasberry21

• Curious
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »
Love what your doing with it mate. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! It been a fun process! Been off and on two wheels for the past 20 years but haven't ever took on this big of a project!.

• Cookeville, TN
  • 1987 K-100 RT

Offline lbasberry21

• Curious
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
I want to know about that yellow pickup truck.

HA! Laitch is correct, its a 1973 International Scout ii. It is my other big project when I am waiting on parts for the bike or stumped on something!
  • Cookeville, TN
  • 1987 K-100 RT

Tags: