Author Topic: Rainy brick  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Rcgreaves

• ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • "I'd rather be flying, but this will do nicely"
Rainy brick
« on: October 07, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
I commute 72 miles weekly of late for instrument flight ground school.  Cheese cons in October weather can be dicey to say the least.  In this case I departed mid day with full gear and never felt sufficiently warm.   So when I emerged at 9 pm sore and tired to 40 degrees I punted and crashed on my sons couch in nearby Cottage Grove.  By morning it was freezing rain just like in the song and I was even less enthusiastic as I donned my full rain suit.

Then something familiar happened that only those in this asylum can appreciate.  I started looking over my machine ..a preflight of sorts and I couldn’t help but see how really beautiful she looked beaded in rain drops. 

Another thing: my bride set me up with a Pandora Premiun subscription.  Free til Xmas btw... anyway I plugged in one song -Tree Top Flier by Stephen Stills and let Pandora pick from there.. 

One awesome song after another and my attitude changed.  My Brick has that effect on me.  Anyway enjoy a few rainy day pics.  The adversity is part of this bricking adventure and hey, I wasn’t working.  Instead I took shelter in a favorite Stoughton WI coffee shop with. A convenient covered walkway where I parked out of the rain.  Great day away.
  • Livingston in Southwest WI. USA-"With the good earth all around."
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II
Doing “better than I deserve"

Offline island_boy

• Motobrick Curious
Re: Rainy brick
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:05 PM »
That is a pretty bike!  I need to get some tunes on my ride. 

It's been SO hot here in the Deep South, would love to have some of that cooler WI wx...  even if it's rainy! 

Cheers

• Auburn, Alabama, USA
  • 1992 K100RS, 1973 Honda CL360 (sold to another owner who promptly blew it up)

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:09:32 PM »
 Some bikes are well set up for the addition of a sound system but the K really doesn’t offer a whole lot of real estate.. one idea worked, I have a Bluetooth speaker the size of a classroom globe cut in half a semi circular speaker that fits neatly inside my tank bag and wow can it pound but it fills the tank bag..lately I’ve been riding with earbuds and the Pandora tunes but at highway speed‘s it’s not at all ideal for hearing other vehicles etc. 

I giggled reading your signature line about the bier trashing your cl360.. last year we sold my sons Honda VT 700c Shadow to a co worker who dilligently paid him 100 dollars per week all winter only to dump it in the first hour.  Highway driving without coaching or a class. 

In another month I’d wish to be in Alabama.  Cheers
  • 94' K75S, 85' GL1200 Aspencade, 96' VFR750F, 01' GL1800. Restoring: 95' K1100RS, 83' R80RT NEW: Motorvation Formula II

Offline island_boy

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:17:15 PM »
Thanks!  I used to 'walk' Harleys stoplight to stoplight on that little 350cc scrambler.  But, somehow, the exuberant buyer blew it up in like 2 weeks.  Like, rod through the block bad.  Called the guy who built it and asked him for help...  but it was beyond, new crancase and/or engine bad.

I don't know how he did it, probably over-rev'd it.  Sigh.

That's ok, I've moved on to bigger and better things, namely my K-bike.  I have a newfound love for her, now that I've fixed a fuel leak that sidelined her for a few months (my time was busy, not that it was a difficult job to fix).  And now that she's running so well, she's my daily driver.

And I get to play with all the local Harley boys.  No wonder they hate us.  Actually, they don't - they're starting to come around and look a little closer, and ask BMW questions...   :clap:

Luckily, where I live, I can ride year round.

Cheers
  • Auburn, Alabama, USA
  • 1992 K100RS, 1973 Honda CL360 (sold to another owner who promptly blew it up)

Offline natalena

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
What brand of hand protectors are those on the K? They look very tidy without the hose clamp on the handlebar clutter. If it's not too expensive, I'll switch from using cut up Clorox bottles.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
What brand of hand protectors are those on the K?
BMW. '87–'90 R100GS hand guards. See the attached illustration from the MAX BMW parts fiche.

[quote author=natalena
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline Rcgreaves

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
KMEV gets full credit.  They are excellent.  Did you At least spray the Chlorox bottles black??

Offline Laitch

• Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
Did you At least spray the Chlorox bottles black??
PlastiDip has a reinforcing quality so well worth the added cost.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 89,000 miles
I wept because I had no radials until I met a man who had no splines.
https://tinyurl.com/RillRider

Offline natalena

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 07:26:52 AM »
Did you At least spray the Chlorox bottles black??

Nope, the OEM Safety White color works great. The GS covers are on the "Bday wish list" now, especially since we just dipped into the 40's.
  • MST
  • 1987 K75s #0919, '05 Sportster 1200C
We don't need no stinkin' moly.

Offline mw074

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 10:07:09 AM »
  • Michigan

Offline twowheeledgator

• Motobrick Curious
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »
I'll switch from using cut up Clorox bottles.

Oh please, do show.
  • Floridy
  • '86 K75C, '95 R1100GS, '13 Bonnie Scrambler

Offline alexg

• ^ Proficient Motobricker
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »
Hi:
It was balmy yesterday (about 40F) in Ann Arbor, so I went for a ride with hand protectors, insulating (non-heated) leather gloves, and the newly installed heated grips. My fingers were getting stiff after 50 miles, but got better when reducing the speed (go figure). It was bearable at 55 mph, but over 70, nothing could keep my hands from freezing.

Just a data point.

AlexG
  • Michigan
  • '93 K75S, 1975 BMW R75/6 & 1984 Yamaha RZ350
Alex G.

Tags: